Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The media's (and liberals') obsession over Betsy Devos

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: The media's (and liberals') obsession over Betsy Devos

Post by audiophile » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 pm

NS8401 wrote:...The German system is a good model... they make the kids pick a career at the end of 8th grade and high school is chosen by what vocational they choose, then they are following their interests and not what somebody thinks they should care about...
Interesting! I've been preaching this for years for the USA.

I actually started this unknowingly in the 4th grade by picking out a book in the library.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 am

NS8401 wrote:...The German system is a good model... they make the kids pick a career at the end of 8th grade and high school is chosen by what vocational they choose, then they are following their interests and not what somebody thinks they should care about...
That's an interesting idea, and I think it has legs. The only catch might be that some kids may not know exactly what they want to do at that age. Perhaps a way to expound on it would be to give them an aptitude test and offer a selection of possible careers based upon areas in which they excel. Offer a major and minor course of study with an option to flip, not unlike college.

Something that really helped me along was the ability to take community college courses starting my junior year in high school as part of a dual-enrollment program. I started out taking night courses and eventually got time off school to attend classes during the day, plus adding summer courses. One advantage was that I could pursue courses in my specific area of interest. The other was the option to apply the credits to my high school transcript, thus allowing me to graduate a semester early and transition to college full-time.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Back to the original post, I've noticed the same thing as well on facebook - people acting like the world is going to end if she is confirmed. But after having an in-depth conversation with somebody who works in education, the strong opposition to DeVos is really three-fold:

-her support of vouchers
-her lack of experience and lack of a degree in education
-the fact that she did not attend a public school nor did she end her children to one

Most public school teachers are scared to death of vouchers. Personally I support them, at least in theory.

But on that last point - that one has some merit, and I admittedly was not aware of it. At a bare minimum, I want somebody who AT LEAST attended a public school.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Why must you have attended public schools? She wants others to have a shot at it better schools, not just the rich. That is admirable.

Secondly, she has a college education - you made it sound like she didn't have anything.
She graduated from Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she earned a bachelor's degree in business administration and political science https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_DeVos
Last edited by audiophile on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm

bmw wrote:
But on that last point - that one has some merit, and I admittedly was not aware of it. At a bare minimum, I want somebody who AT LEAST attended a public school.
Should the person that runs NASA be required to have walked on the moon?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 pm

She also has worked with special needs persons:
Betsy and her husband Dick are chief investors in and board members of Neurocore, a group of brain performance centers offering biofeedback therapy for disorders such as depression, attention deficit disorder, autism, and anxiety.
Frankly, I think it's time for fresh ideas. Not crazy ideas, but ones like NS mentioned in Germany.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:18 pm

I think it is at least somewhat difficult to have an understanding of the actual problems that public schools have if you've never attended one, never sent your kids through one, and don't have an education degree.

No one of those three things is a deal-breaker by itself, but I think the combination of all 3 being true is a genuine cause for concern.

Just my opinion.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 am

bmw wrote:I think it is at least somewhat difficult to have an understanding of the actual problems that public schools have if you've never attended one, never sent your kids through one, and don't have an education degree.

No one of those three things is a deal-breaker by itself, but I think the combination of all 3 being true is a genuine cause for concern.

Just my opinion.
You're probably right...

Unlike Bryces rather dumb comparison this is more like the head of NASA lacking any science background except being a fan of Star Wars and believing it should be privatized and merged with Space X because they are closer to getting somebody into orbit...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 am

bmw wrote:I think it is at least somewhat difficult to have an understanding of the actual problems that public schools have if you've never attended one, never sent your kids through one, and don't have an education degree.

Just my opinion.
An education degree or teaching certificate? Where she went it is non-degree certificate.

http://calvin.edu/academics/departments ... tification

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 am

http://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/t ... etsy_devos

She has been involved in helping underprivileged children get an education. Her husband started a charter school with an emphasis on flying! She is not a dummy!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:03 am

Here is link to Charter School they founded.

http://www.westmichiganaviation.org/about/

After reading this, She's way out of our league...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 am

audiophile wrote:Here is link to Charter School they founded.

http://www.westmichiganaviation.org/about/

After reading this, She's way out of our league...
Key words: HER HUSBAND founded...

I always thought Dick Devos was a little slimey... the Ted Cruz feeling if you will...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, at her suggestion...

I would agree Ted Cruz doesn't look like a movie star, but the gray matter is not lacking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic