Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Are We Losing Our Ability to Laugh?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Calvert DeForest

Re: Are We Losing Our Ability to Laugh?

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:19 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:Saturday Night Live has been very political and rarely, if ever, funny for decades. Regardless of the cast and who is hosting, it's always like a bunch of drunk and high college students. The blatant Anti-Republican and Pro-Democrat agenda has been apparent for nearly all if not the entire run. It is surprising that they are still on, unless you consider that the rest of the audience is fragmented with scary supernatural movies shown at the same time. Note that for eight years, they didn't attack the President in any way. Now, the whole show is Anti-Trump. We haven't lost our sense of humor. It's just not funny.
I don't know....I thought this one was pretty good, and not exactly Obama-flattering:

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:56 am

It depends on the side you are.

A communist, leftist or minority might think Obama had bravado with his EO's.

A Constitutionalist be would annoyed with it.

I think either side could find it funny, but for different reasons.

It didn't it portray Obama as weak or stupid though, which is more what happens with the right. Next week are they going to mock Maxine Waters for for not remembering Aleppo or Putin invading Korea?

I highly doubt it because that would portray a minority liberal as stupid. A Republican? No problem!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 am

audiophile wrote:It depends on the side you are.
That's a valid point. I think there's a natural tendency to look for the "deeper statement".

Perhaps it's the centrist in me, but I tend not to read too much into it. I just want a good chuckle. Once I start analyzing comedy, it stops being comedy.

As the old saying goes, if ya have to explain the joke....

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic