Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No Viewing

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
ADD in TC

No Viewing

Post by ADD in TC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 am

Just a heads up for those of you in Northern Michigan;Unlike in past years,the tax exempt State Theatre in TC will not be showing the presidential inauguration.

audiophile

Re: No Viewing

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:13 am

Owned by Michael Moore?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 am

No,it's owned by a tax exempt non profit headed by Mr Moore.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 am

Along those lines, a Williamston Elementary teacher plans not to show the inauguration in his class:

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Willia ... 65645.html

I'm no Trump fan, but this is getting ridiculous. Like it or not, this is history. It concerns me that an educator, whose job is to encourage discussion and thought, is choosing instead to curtail it by censoring a historical event based upon his own personal leanings. Not to mention that the teacher is a public servant working for a public school which is funded by public dollars. If he wants to express political opinions off the clock, fine. It's not appropriate, however, for him to restrict students from witnessing the inauguration on the taxpayers' dime just because he doesn't like the person being inaugurated. It's not about Trump, but the event itself.

For the record, I would say the same thing if it was Hillary Clinton taking the oath today.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 am

ADD in TC wrote:No,it's owned by a tax exempt non profit headed by Mr Moore.
Apparently Mr. Moore is confusing his role as a public steward with that of a private owner. Perfectly legal to do this, but it doesn't demonstrate civil responsibility (which he claims to be all about). I would think that he would want to show the inauguration in order to encourage a dialogue on the incoming administration, but I guess I don't think like a rich filmmaker who wants to tell others what to think. :razz

How did we get to this attitude of if I didn't see it, it didn't happen?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:15 am

Agree with you 100%, Calvert!

Shame on that teacher!
It's education. Not indoctrination.

The students have already been indoctrinated in their homes by their families about how to feel regarding Donald Trump. Like him. Dislike him.

Now the students need to be witnessing history in the making. Discussing it. Having their questions answered. Discussing their feelings.

If they ask their teacher about his feelings regarding Trump he should be honest, briefly explain why, and then explain the exceptionalism of America - that we all have the right to our opinions, and freedom of expression.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:41 am

screen glare wrote:If they ask their teacher about his feelings regarding Trump he should be honest, briefly explain why, and then explain the exceptionalism of America - that we all have the right to our opinions, and freedom of expression.
Agreed. I have no problem with the teacher expressing his personal take as long as he represents it as such. There's a difference between "here's what I think" and "here's what I expect you to think".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic