Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Neil Young threatens to leave Spotify if they don't ditch Joe Rogan; Spotify removes all of Young's music

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 9015

Re: Neil Young threatens to leave Spotify if they don't ditch Joe Rogan; Spotify removes all of Young's music

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:55 pm

While this was a dumb stunt by Young, I don't think he's hurting. SXM did bring back their Neil Young channel though, so good for him I guess.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Neil Young threatens to leave Spotify if they don't ditch Joe Rogan; Spotify removes all of Young's music

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 am

If Neil Young is so confident in his beliefs, he should challenge Joe Rogan to a debate. But instead of defending his position against somebody who disagrees with it, he instead decides to just up and leave Spotify just because Joe Rogan hosts content on the same platform. That isn't "principles." That is a temper tantrum.
EXTREMELY well stated. 100% agree.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:53 am

Just to put some listenership numbers into perspective:

Joe Rogan does 4 podcasts per week, or 17 per month, and gets an average of 11 million listeners per episode.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/podca ... of%20MSNBC.

Neil Young had 6 million monthly listeners.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadell ... 4058df2c21

Now maybe somebody can clarify how these metrics are calculated, but I assume these are simply total views as opposed to unique listeners. If that is the case, we're talking 187 million for Rogan vs. 6 million for Neil Young.

Also putting those numbers into perspective, Joe Rogan has 3-4x the listeners per episode than even do the highest profile talking heads on cable news. Quite frankly, he may be #1 over literally ANYBODY. Does anybody else draw 11 million per day on any medium?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:40 am

Ahhh.. the old "if it's popular, it must be good" theory. Well McDonald's has sold 300 billion burgers and it's still shitty food.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:56 am

I didn't say anything about it being good or bad. My point was Spotify isn't going to dump somebody who brings that many listeners (and thus money) to the platform.

And weren't you the person defending the now shitty Saturday Night Live on the grounds that they bring in viewers? In fact you've made that argument quite a few times in these forums whenever anybody complains about the direction a particular show takes. You're not going to defend Rogan's podcast on the same grounds?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 pm

Similarly as you didn't say anything about it being good or bad, I didn't say anything about Spotify's decision to turn a buck regardless of the merits of their content.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:48 pm

Before this brouhaha, I must admit I had no idea Neil Young was still alive.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:56 am

I see Spotify has pulled 70-some Rogan episodes. They did so quietly on Friday night. Looks to me like Spotify is slowly caving to the mob. I can't help but wonder how much longer Rogan will remain there.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:46 pm

It looks like they pulled those episodes after it came to light that Joe had used the n-word repeated on his podcast.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... apes-story

Can we be too certain that Joe Rogan isn’t lovinlife101?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:06 pm

24 instances, and Spotify wasn't aware of any of those over the past year and a half? I'm not buying it. This is Spotify caving to the mob, plain and simple. And 24 instances doesn't explain the pulling over 70 episodes.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:06 pm
24 instances, and Spotify wasn't aware of any of those over the past year and a half? I'm not buying it. This is Spotify caving to the mob, plain and simple. And 24 instances doesn't explain the pulling over 70 episodes.
There may have been other problematic content in the other episodes or they simply want to be rid of the guy. Why is it that conservatives love businesses being free to do things right up until it’s a decision they don’t like?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:19 pm

My point is, I would assume that when they struck their deal with Rogan that they had somebody watch his old episodes. I mean, they did pull 20-some right off the bat. It is only now that the content is "problematic."

And hey, Spotify can do whatever they want. But I would point out that they ARE a publicly traded company and are under legal obligation to do what is best for their investors. So to that extent, they can't just get rid of Rogan if it would cause the stock to tank.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:19 pm
My point is, I would assume that when they struck their deal with Rogan that they had somebody watch his old episodes. I mean, they did pull 20-some right off the bat. It is only now that the content is "problematic."

And hey, Spotify can do whatever they want. But I would point out that they ARE a publicly traded company and are under legal obligation to do what is best for their investors. So to that extent, they can't just get rid of Rogan if it would cause the stock to tank.
What is best for their investors is awfully subjective. Somebody clearly did a risk-benefit analysis and concluded Rogan was expendable which pretty much sums up what I’ve seen of him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic