I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Bob Woodward's new book

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
TC Talks

Bob Woodward's new book

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:01 am

In case anyone was feeling particularly proud of the leader of the GOP today, here comes another best seller...

“Mattis was particularly exasperated and alarmed, telling close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — ‘a fifth- or sixth-grader.’ ”

He tried to call Bob and here's how it went...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 5175010166

If only I had access to Fox News. How will they spin this one?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 4d70325840

I am really enjoying this season.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

NS8401

Re: Bob Woodward's new book

Post by NS8401 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:01 am

Trump is an Idiot... but we knew that already... he’s useless...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:18 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:01 am
Trump is an Idiot... but we knew that already... he’s useless...
If his followers could read, he might be in trouble. Of course, now you know why he is such a fan of Betsy DeVos's plan to destroy public education.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Almost everywhere there is problem with people being able to read, it is a deeply democrat voting area.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:40 pm

That's certainly true in Michigan! I checked the M-STEP and SAT scores extensively when they were published last week.

There are some school districts in the Wyoming & Kentwood area (Kent County) whose "leadership" should be immediately fired. The lack of scholastic achievement is appalling.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:40 pm
That's certainly true in Michigan! I checked the M-STEP and SAT scores extensively when they were published last week.

There are some school districts in the Wyoming & Kentwood area (Kent County) whose "leadership" should be immediately fired. The lack of scholastic achievement is appalling.
It’s possible some people just suck at reading but that wouldn’t be a plausible explanation would it? Lots of people don’t even read signs so the detriment of all that may be lower than we think... now they just aren’t teaching them what they already don’t do as well as they used to...

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

How is it the administrator's fault and not the fault of lousy MEA teachers?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:43 am

The administrators hire the teachers, set the curriculum (including instruction materials), determine budget priorities, and negotiate the union contracts.

Cities like Wyoming have too many separate school districts in the first place, which means money is wasted on duplicate overhead. You could easily combine Godfrey-Lee and Wyoming into one shit sandwich and Kelloggsville and Godwin Heights into another shit sandwich.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed a trend of academic improvement in Grand Rapids Public. The test scores aren't great, but they've improved considerably from past years. Some ethnic groups are now performing near or even a bit above state averages for the ethnic group in question. GR Public is a better school district than any of the Wyoming districts (excluding Grandville) and I suspect outperforms East Kentwood, too.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Detroit schools: only 12% proficient in reading, and less than 5% in math. That is sad.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm

While we all agree that student performance is down, we should also agree that parents have a role in these outcomes. We should also agree that the DeVos family has been spending millions for years to dismantle public education (or at least their responsibility to fund it).

Before yelling about administrators (which is entirely knee-jerk) take a look at the testing, at the funding and curriculum requirements. Then compare these to states which rank in the top ten percent.

I don't believe there is any concern to create a good education system in the state, so why complain?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Of the 100 largest school districts by enrollment, Detroit had the highest rate of chronic absenteeism. Nearly 58 percent of students were chronically absent in the 2013-2014 school year.

At the other end of the spectrum, Florida had the lowest rate of chronic absenteeism, 4.5 percent in the 2013-14 school year.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/educat ... /85639200/

The above, taken along with the statistics below, lead me to believe it is parent involvement problem rather than spending or administration.
The Detroit Public Schools Community District spends more per student than all but eight of the nation’s 100 largest school districts, or $14,259. Even with all that money, the district still generated the nation’s worst reading scores among low-income students. The Miami-Dade district spends $8,725 per student (some $5,500 less than Detroit), and children from low-income households there had the best literacy rates among large cities.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Parental involvement is a critical success factor; I don't disagree in the least!

Administration does matter, though. Compare GRPS test scores under prior superintendents to the current one.

I have relatives who work in public schools. Administration very much matters. They've seen cases where scores improved under new leadership.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Schools are just magic buildings. Inside of them, kids who are surrounded by bad lifestyle choices suddenly develop exceptional study habits and emerge with the critical thinking skills that allow them to break free of a negative trajectory.

Said no one, ever.

The point about bloated administration is well taken. One suburban Detroit city of approx 29,000 households, mostly occupied by seniors, has THREE districts and has faced several attempts to consolidate them. The administration of each has learned to remain perpetually in-debt via bonds for things that should be budgeted, (roofs, windows, etc). Whenever a call for consolidation arises, the voices of "Why should we take on XYZ district's debt?"

Maybe those admins are smarter than we think.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am

Leaping off the teachers/schools/parents diversion - let’s get back to the topic of this thread: BOB WOODWARD’S NEW BOOK.

As with Bob Mueller - Bob Woodward’s stellar reputation as a serious finder of truth - is now being systematically attacked and painted over - by Trump - and his white house communications mob.

However because there is copious evidence of Trump and mob lying constantly - and copious evidence of Woodward (and Mueller) being a trustworthy respector, finder, and documenter of truth - the sham “rep slam” won’t work - with honest Americans, that is.

Thank God for couragous Woodward and Mueller.

If only the frightened men and women in the white house (and congress) would step forward - and state publicly - what they privately think and discuss - about Trump’s unfitness for office.

The author (or authors) of the anonymous op/ed would be a good start.

(I think it’s Hope Hicks with and through her wife-beater boyfriend, Rob Porter.)

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:21 am

screen glare wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am
Leaping off the teachers/schools/parents diversion - let’s get back to the topic of this thread: BOB WOODWARD’S NEW BOOK.

As with Bob Mueller - Bob Woodward’s stellar reputation as a serious finder of truth - is now being systematically attacked and painted over - by Trump - and his white house communications mob.

However because there is copious evidence of Trump and mob lying constantly - and copious evidence of Woodward (and Mueller) being a trustworthy respector, finder, and documenter of truth - the sham “rep slam” won’t work - with honest Americans, that is.

Thank God for couragous Woodward and Mueller.

If only the frightened men and women in the white house (and congress) would step forward - and state publicly - what they privately think and discuss - about Trump’s unfitness for office.

The author (or authors) of the anonymous op/ed would be a good start.

(I think it’s Hope Hicks with and through her wife-beater boyfriend, Rob Porter.)
Let's not. Bob Woodward can go on a book tour with Omarosa.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I'll refrain from commenting on the subject matter of the book, because it's none of my business. But it has made me curious about something.

There are some of you, I suppose, who, believe your President when he says the book is "a work of fiction" and nothing more. There will be some of you who believe every word of the book and find it very worrying. But, there may be others who believe that parts, or all of the book, may be true, but it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Where do all of you fit in here?

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 pm
I'll refrain from commenting on the subject matter of the book, because it's none of my business. But it has made me curious about something.

There are some of you, I suppose, who, believe your President when he says the book is "a work of fiction" and nothing more. There will be some of you who believe every word of the book and find it very worrying. But, there may be others who believe that parts, or all of the book, may be true, but it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Im skeptical about everything these days. It seems everything is propaganda. I dont know what percentage might be complete accurate and what part is slanted to fit the writers agenda. The fact that I feel that way at all is enough to avoid the book.
People read-and believe, by choice-anything that agrees with them in advance. Your take on the book will all depend on where you stood BEFORE reading it. Therefore, its just propaganda to me, made to influence elections, and help the author make money.
For the record, I never read the Hillary Clinton scandal books either. And I wouldnt be willing to put any more faith in them as I am woodwards tome

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Im skeptical about everything these days. It seems everything is propaganda. I dont know what percentage might be completely accurate and what part is slanted to fit the writers agenda. The fact that I feel that way at all is enough to avoid the book.
People read-and believe, by choice-anything that agrees with them in advance. Your take on the book will all depend on where you stood BEFORE reading it. Therefore, its just propaganda to me, made to influence elections, and help the author make money.
For the record, I never read the Hillary Clinton scandal books either. And I wouldnt be willing to put any more faith in them as I am woodwards tome

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 pm

I’ve never read ANY expose, autobiography, authorized or unauthorized biography of a presidential candidate, president, vice presidential candidate. or vice president.

Unless Bob Woodward was the author.

Why? Because of his impeccable reputation over decades as a reporter’s reporter. He’s a serious fellow. Dogged in his determination to get the truth - no matter what. To meticulosly document what sources reveal, and to scour for corroboration. Keeping highly organized files of information he’s gathered, and keeping faith that no matter the attacks against him - the truth will always come out. And he will be vindicated.

Which is exactly what happened to him re watergate.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Im skeptical about everything these days. It seems everything is propaganda. I dont know what percentage might be complete accurate and what part is slanted to fit the writers agenda. The fact that I feel that way at all is enough to avoid the book.
I would say this is exactly how I feel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic