Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jennifer Ann Wilson's downtown Plum Market puff piece on WXYZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Jennifer Ann Wilson's downtown Plum Market puff piece on WXYZ

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm

I just witnessed one of the more insipid reports from the field in quite some time.

Jennifer Ann Wilson on circle 7's 6PM Saturday evening newscast was just gushing with glee over the upcoming opening of the Plum Market mini-store at 500 Woodward (the Ally Building).

First, Jennifer Ann calls the Ally Building the "Alley Building."

Second, Jennifer Ann said everyone in downtown Detroit is "rejoicing" over the impending opening of the store. (Give me a fucking break.)

Finally, she describes Plum Market as "an affordable food option" in the middle of a "food desert." She obviously knows NOTHING about Plum Market. Plum Market is arguably the most premium, highest priced gourmet grocery store just about anywhere in the state of Michigan! It is the antithesis of affordable!!!

My guess is most of the floor space won't even be devoted to traditional grocery, but rather, grab-and-go meals and lunchtime dining.

The glee in Jennifer Ann's voice and shit eating grin on her face as she reported was damn near vomit inducing.

C'mon, channel 7. Your viewers deserve better than bullshit like this.

jsf

Re: Jennifer Ann Wilson's downtown Plum Market puff piece on WXYZ

Post by jsf » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Looks like Jennifer Ann knows about grocery stores, she seems to have put on a few lb.'s in the last few months. I also saw the piece and had similar thoughts about Detroiters flocking to that store with their wallets out.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 pm

I really miss the cafeteria that was there before that this Plum market replaced. That was a great affordable breakfast and lunch option downtown and it was usually packed around noon. This Plum Market has big shoes to fill.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm

MW, a substantial part of our grocery budget is spent at Plum Market. My wife lives the place and says the customer service there is excellent; they seem to have a bigger staff than other stores that size.

Your assessment of the place is 100 percent correct.

Ohio_Quebecois

Post by Ohio_Quebecois » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 pm
I really miss the cafeteria that was there before that this Plum market replaced. That was a great affordable breakfast and lunch option downtown and it was usually packed around noon. This Plum Market has big shoes to fill.
That cafeteria was a twice a week place when I worked across the street. I’m actually sad it’s gone! Is Planet Lunchtime (I think that was the name of it) still in the first national building?

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm

I think this "Food Desert" label everybody is using is a piece of crap. Is the whole area covered in sand, with 120 degree temps????

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 am

Lunchtime Global indeed still exists in the FNB building and attracts a lot of diners. Haven't been there yet this year, though. The Subway next door always has a long, slow moving line and annoys me.

I liked the cafeteria in the Ally Building. Prices were very reasonable.

I wonder what's available in the Guardian Building?

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am

Willie108 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm
I think this "Food Desert" label everybody is using is a piece of crap. Is the whole area covered in sand, with 120 degree temps????
"Food desert" has been used for many years to describe areas where fresh, wholesome food, especially produce, is difficult to purchase. Much of the City of Detroit qualifies.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Detroit’s independent stores do sell fresh produce. The term is used by the media and political figures to push an agenda.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 pm

I wonder what's available in the Guardian Building?
There is or was a few months ago a taco stand. It was below average and the Mexican Cantina across the street is better, yet much busier. Might also be a coffee shop in there as well.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm

I agree with fuzzpower. True, the big chains have largely avoided or closed up shop in Detroit over the past couple decades, but there are plenty of independent grocers in the city, including a fair number of big box, full service stores.

Jennifer Ann needs to get off her butt and do her homework before filing her next report.

A quick Google search reveals multiple grocery stores in and near downtown Detroit, including but not limited to City Market, which is located a whole one block to the east of the Ally Building. They sell fresh fruits & vegetables there.

About one half mile farther east, there is Lafayette Foods. Another three blocks or so east of there, there is Family Fair Marketplace (a big box grocery store).

Just west of Wayne State, there is University Foods, another big box grocery store.

Most people who live in downtown have plenty of money; rent isn't cheap there. Even in the poorer areas of the city - which admittedly are widespread - there is usually a big box full service grocery store within two or three miles.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 pm

There is or was a few months ago a taco stand. It was below average and the Mexican Cantina across the street is better, yet much busier. Might also be a coffee shop in there as well.
Thanks for the info, EditorCJ.

I do now remember seeing the sidewalk advertisements along Griswold for the taco place inside Guardian. Saw 'em as recently as a few weeks ago, come to think of it. I've never been inside the Guardian Building - so was simply curious what else might be inside from a food standpoint.

I used to go to the Which Wich inside the Penobscot fairly often, but the service has gone downhill, and their online ordering app after recent changes is now terrible to use.

I do hit up the Jimmy Johns once in a while.

Is the Mexican Cantina to which you refer the quick service place at the southwest corner of Fort and Griswold? I think it's called Carnival, and it's located at the NE tip of the Penobscot. That place is a bit of a zoo at lunch, but the food is decent most of the time. Like Lunchtime Global, I haven't been there yet this year.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Is the Mexican Cantina to which you refer the quick service place at the southwest corner of Fort and Griswold? I think it's called Carnival, and it's located at the NE tip of the Penobscot. That place is a bit of a zoo at lunch, but the food is decent most of the time. Like Lunchtime Global, I haven't been there yet this year.
That's it, was there about 2 weeks ago, took at least 1/2 hour to order and get served at lunchtime.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm
Even in the poorer areas of the city - which admittedly are widespread - there is usually a big box full service grocery store within two or three miles.
http://www.dailydetroit.com/2018/09/10/ ... tion-plan/

The problem with MW's logic is thst more than a quarter of the households in Detroit don't have access to an automobile. Getting to a decent grocery store isn't easy without your own wheels.

I lived on Detroit's east side, near East Warren and East Outer Drive, for about 16 years, from the late 80s until 2004. The closest grocery store to my house, about a 3-minute walk, was a pit. In an emergency, I would buy something canned or boxed, but the meat and produce were clearly substandard and I wouldn't buy them. Another store opened about a mile away in what had once been the home of Krajenke Buick. It was better than the first place, but still didn't have all the things I needed in a grocery store. I had to go to the suburbs to shop to get what I wanted. But I had a car, so it wasn't a problem for me.

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm

I don't know, but nothing compares to Channel 4's hard-hitting expose about people not putting their shopping carts in the cart corrals.

No, really, they did that story.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic