All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Official Presidential Portraits in Smithsonian

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
screen glare

The Official Presidential Portraits in Smithsonian

Post by screen glare » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am

I’ve never been a fan of portraits that look like photographs. To me they simply prove some painters could have stood in for a Xerox copy machine on the blink.

No - painters should be MORE than artists trying to be artistic photographers. Painters should be free to allow their individual visions and styles to come through their art.

Therefore - when viewing other paintings of human subjects - one gets a pretty good idea of how that particular artist’s next human subject will be rendered. Featuring that artist’s own painting style and vision guiding every choice of setting, pigment, placement, brush stroke, etc.

Thus - when the Obama’s interviewed several artists and then made their choices as to which two would paint their official portraits to hang in the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery they knew ahead of time the style in which each artist would paint.

So whether you like the new presidential portraits, do not, don’t care, or are not really into art history and art commentary - please remember - the subjects knew ahead of time what they were likely to receive from each painter in the way of style.

I personally LIKE and appreciate the paintings. I DON’T like them as the official portraits, however - among the collection.

Hang them in the white house. Hang them in other galleries, presidential library, etc.

Meanwhile - with something as subjective as art - I do realize “to each his own” opinion was never a truer statement.

craig11152

Re: The Official Presidential Portraits in Smithsonian

Post by craig11152 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am

I find those two paintings disappointing. As I suggested on my Facebook page they look like something I'd buy at a Park & Swap.
As to realism in portraits, that idea goes back several hundred years before cameras were invented. I don't have a problem with a portrait looking as real as a photograph. Most of them do have a subtle artistic "flair" anyway.

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 pm

The picture of Barack is recognizable.
I think if there wasn't a plaque under the picture, few people would look at it, and think it's a picture of Michelle.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am

I could not agree with you more, sg. I think the official portrait should be more formal, and he’s had several good photos that could’ve been recreated as portraits.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am

100 years from now when people view those portraits they will be scratching their heads. 100 years from now people will look at Michelle's portrait then google up what strange disease she had that made her the color of clay.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Fundamentally transforming art in the United States of America. Job done!

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Wrong.

Art itself IS transformation.

Whether in The United States of America or elsewhere.

Can’t ever escape that transformation thing.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 pm

screen glare wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm
Wrong.

Art itself IS transformation.

Can’t ever escape that transformation thing.
So is cooking a hamburger, a car crash and a suicide bomber. The result of that transformation may not inspire anybody but the artist and his mother.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am

And that my friend is the highly subjective nature of art.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic