(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Govermnent regs help big business...

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
audiophile

Govermnent regs help big business...

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 am

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/01/ ... iness.html

I've said this for a while: It comes under the guise of 'health and safety', but it's really big business in disguise.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Re: Govermnent regs help big business...

Post by NS8401 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 am
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/01/ ... iness.html

I've said this for a while: It comes under the guise of 'health and safety', but it's really big business in disguise.
In a capitalist system who wins? The bigger fish. How? By any means necessary and we mean any.

There’s nothing shocking about this... it’s a logical extension of our system.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am

Hmmm....could be....but I'm more inclined to think it is stupid politicians trying to do the "right" thing (i.e. tell us all what is bad for us) and then getting tripped up in execution. Bad ideas get piled on top of more bad ideas.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if people too stupid to stop smoking end up dying. The problem is the strain on the health and public safety system because of the public and not so public costs of attending to them. It's a very tangible number. It affects available hospital beds, ambulance costs, and virtually every corner of medicine.

It's very 'trendy' to attack 'big business'. We all dream of grabbing the brass ring and making it big, but of recent vilify anyone who has done so. We made Wal-Mart and Amazon what they are, yet we hate them for being what they are. "Power to the People" as we wave our torches from the street......filled with kerosene we bought at the Wal-Mart gas station because it's a nickel cheaper a gallon, wearing a shirt bought online because it was a dollar cheaper than at the brick and mortar store in town.

Its vogue to decry capitalism and the American way of life in these cute little salons online, all the while enjoying all the benefits of 240 years of the system. Some of us want to be Che Guevara, Mao Zedong or Karl Marx online, knocking our system and claiming something else is better, all the while sipping latte, having 99.9999% reliable AC power, paved roads, communicating through broadband internet, enjoying a paid retirement wintering in Florida, and enjoying the running water and flush toilets 2/3 of the world does not have due to their not having a decent economic system. That "something else" that is, according to some, better, does not seem to have any long term running successful examples, now does it? Sorry....I'll take capitalism until someone shows me another system that works this good this long.

The gist of this article is that large stores can fight such items and little ones can't, so it's some secret insidious plot by 'big business'. 'Big Business' would rather spend that money wasted on fighting that law on a nicer boardroom.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am
Hmmm....could be....but I'm more inclined to think it is stupid politicians trying to do the "right" thing (i.e. tell us all what is bad for us) and then getting tripped up in execution. Bad ideas get piled on top of more bad ideas.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if people too stupid to stop smoking end up dying. The problem is the strain on the health and public safety system because of the public and not so public costs of attending to them. It's a very tangible number. It affects available hospital beds, ambulance costs, and virtually every corner of medicine.

It's very 'trendy' to attack 'big business'. We all dream of grabbing the brass ring and making it big, but of recent vilify anyone who has done so. We made Wal-Mart and Amazon what they are, yet we hate them for being what they are. "Power to the People" as we wave our torches from the street......filled with kerosene we bought at the Wal-Mart gas station because it's a nickel cheaper a gallon, wearing a shirt bought online because it was a dollar cheaper than at the brick and mortar store in town.

Its vogue to decry capitalism and the American way of life in these cute little salons online, all the while enjoying all the benefits of 240 years of the system. Some of us want to be Che Guevara, Mao Zedong or Karl Marx online, knocking our system and claiming something else is better, all the while sipping latte, having 99.9999% reliable AC power, paved roads, communicating through broadband internet, enjoying a paid retirement wintering in Florida, and enjoying the running water and flush toilets 2/3 of the world does not have due to their not having a decent economic system. That "something else" that is, according to some, better, does not seem to have any long term running successful examples, now does it? Sorry....I'll take capitalism until someone shows me another system that works this good this long.

The gist of this article is that large stores can fight such items and little ones can't, so it's some secret insidious plot by 'big business'. 'Big Business' would rather spend that money wasted on fighting that law on a nicer boardroom.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Plate Cap wrote:

if you ever run for office, can I be your media person? Heck, campaign manager even.
~I bought one of those universal remote controls at Wal-Mart yesterday. Last night, I thought to myself, "Wow, this changes everything."~

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am
Plate Cap wrote:

Too bad the slow clap was for you.... I don’t see anything unreasonable in Plate Caps post... neither of you or Bryce seem willing to refute directly a word of it... fascinating...

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Too bad the slow clap was for you.... I don’t see anything unreasonable in Plate Caps post... neither of you or Bryce seem willing to refute directly a word of it... fascinating...
What the hell is that supposed to even mean? I have a feeling you don't understand the phrase. Let me make it easier:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlowClap

After bearing witness to a heartfelt speech or courageous performance, one person in the audience gradually rises to their feet and starts putting their hands together for the display. The person momentarily appears alone with his decision, until another person also rises to start clapping. Three more audience members follow suit. Then twelve more, then fifty, then a hundred, then a thousand. Before you know it, everyone in the audience is on their feet, clapping and cheering.

I could add more to it, but plate cap's reply would be hard to top.
Last edited by chromacolor2 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am

Great comment from the story, which is not about big business, but big government.

VilaRavioylaInfluencer
11h
As someone who had a "privilege" of spending 40% of his life under communism and can competently speak about it, I can honestly and dead-serious say that New York City government makes even the worst stalinist bureaucracy look like a vacation in Disneyland and epiphany of joy and good cheer. The place is an infectious cesspool of federal, state and local corruption, global mafia and embezzlement gone poco loco, dumb government programs (and even dumber government programmers) that serve no purpose whatsoever, city contracts awarded to "friends and family" without any adult supervision, cronyism, incompetence, avarice, myopia, debutantism and sheer stupidity that knows no bounds or limits. This is the place where, for nearly 60 years, not a single yard of new subway lines was built, where highway infrastructure is still based on Robert Moses' flawed 80-year old vision, where it takes 25 years (and counting) to drill a 500-ft railroad tunnel and where the potholes are the size of the pharaoh's sarcophagus. It would be fun (if only such program existed) to measure a median IQ of a typical Bill DeBlasio petty aparatchik. I bet it would be in the low, low teens...if not subzero.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 am

chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am
NS8401 wrote:

What the hell is that supposed to even mean? I have a feeling you don't understand the phrase. Let me make it easier:

After bearing witness to a heartfelt speech or courageous performance, one person in the audience gradually rises to their feet and starts putting their hands together for the display. The person momentarily appears alone with his decision, until another person also rises to start clapping. Three more audience members follow suit. Then twelve more, then fifty, then a hundred, then a thousand. Before you know it, everyone in the audience is on their feet, clapping and cheering.

Oh that.... wrong meaning of slow... I overthought that one, you win. I’d still like to know what Bryce objected to?

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 am
chromacolor2 wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

Oh that.... wrong meaning of slow... I overthought that one, you win. I’d still like to know what Bryce objected to?

I'm not pretending to speak for others, but I don't think Bryce was intending sarcasm, I think he was cheering Plate Cap to run for office after a well-written defense of capitalism.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 am

chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am
NS8401 wrote:
chromacolor2 wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

I'm not pretending to speak for others, but I don't think Bryce was intending sarcasm, I think he was cheering Plate Cap to run for office after a well-written defense of capitalism.
BINGO! We have a winner.
~I bought one of those universal remote controls at Wal-Mart yesterday. Last night, I thought to myself, "Wow, this changes everything."~

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 am
chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am
NS8401 wrote:
chromacolor2 wrote:
NS8401 wrote:

BINGO! We have a winner.
I’d vote yes...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic