Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Roy Moore in Hot Water

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
NS8401

Re: Roy Moore in Hot Water

Post by NS8401 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 pm

906XJ wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm
My stance hasn't changed... his career could well be ruined over what may turn out to be false accusations.

That doesn't change the fact that I think the Repubs are going to drop him like a bad habit.

That's politics...
Twice violating the constitution and being removed from office for it as well as stealing from his charity didnt ruin his career... what’s a little creepy behavior among hicks?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 am

As I said - Roy Moore’s victims will keep telling his secret - finally revealing their pain - when they realize that what he did to them he also did to others. The child victim of the powerful adult is finally NOT alone. Same as in the pedophile priest scandal.

The silently suffering victims can finally shed their:
-FEAR of the pedophile’s threatened consequences for telling.
-and misplaced SHAME and unwarranted GUILT that they did something wrong to cause the adult to assault them.
Same as in the pedophile priest scandal.

Statutes of Limitations may make legal justice impossible, but there are no finish lines for serving up moral and ethical JUST desserts. Same as in much of the pedophile priest scandal.

The question now: will the power and stature of the affected institution and its hierarchy and members be considered “for the greater good” - ABOVE acknowledging the pain, and honoring the courage .. of victims? As we saw with the pedophile priest scandal.

Providing “greater good” cover for the institution by attacking victim’s credibility and character will only sully the reputations of those participating in the misguided scheme. Again - as we’ve see in the pedophile priest scandal.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Beverly Nelson could turn out to me much more damaging to Moore as this is the first instance where enough detail was provided to suggest that Moore made an unwanted advance. While she was of the age of consent at the time, if her account is accurate, there is no doubt that what Moore did was worse than 2nd degree misdemeanor sexual misconduct. Her story seems credible, and the yearbook signature looks like a match to me.

I think he's toast.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:56 pm
Beverly Nelson could turn out to me much more damaging to Moore as this is the first instance where enough detail was provided to suggest that Moore made an unwanted advance. While she was of the age of consent at the time, if her account is accurate, there is no doubt that what Moore did was worse than 2nd degree misdemeanor sexual misconduct. Her story seems credible, and the yearbook signature looks like a match to me.

I think he's toast.
All of his transgressions in his long career didn’t tell you he was a dirty player to start with?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Honestly I'm just not familiar with his career. Did he have any known "transgressions" on par with sexual assault?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm
Honestly I'm just not familiar with his career. Did he have any known "transgressions" on par with sexual assault?

Violating your constitution. Defying court orders.

At one of his rallies during the primary campaign, he was standing at the podium, waving his gun around. What kind of way is that to show respect for a crowd of his own supporters? Even without the sexual allegations, this guy is scum.
Long before former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore became a political insurgent, he was regarded as a judicial pariah.
Even judges who agreed with Moore's opposition to same-sex marriage last year could not abide his defiance of federal law. And in an earlier episode, even those who were open to religious displays in public buildings could not tolerate his refusal to remove an enormous Ten Commandments monument deemed unconstitutional.

For the unanimous members of the Alabama Court of Judiciary that ousted him from the bench -- twice -- it was not Moore's substantive views but his sheer lack of integrity and impartiality. In a 50-page final judgment against him last year, phrases like "grossly inconsistent with his duties" and "incomplete, misleading and manipulative" leap out.

Moore appears poised to be the next US senator from Alabama after winning the Republican primary Tuesday, defeating Sen. Luther Strange, who was endorsed by President Donald Trump. The rebellious far right-wing agenda that made Moore a judicial anomaly now seems politically popular, at least in his Dixie state.

It's a strong turnaround from this time last year, when Moore was suspended from the bench.

In its decision faulting Moore for ordering probate judges not to issue marriage licenses to gay men and lesbians, the Alabama Court of the Judiciary declared: "This case is not about whether same-sex marriage should be permitted. ... Moreover, this is not a case to review or to editorialize about US Supreme Court's June 2015 (decision declaring a right to same-sex marriage, Obergefell v. Hodges), a decision that some members of this court did not personally agree with or think was well-reasoned."

The panel emphasized that the dispute came down to his failure to comply with the law and avoid impropriety.
In a statement at the time, Moore said: "This was a politically motivated effort by radical homosexual and transgender groups to remove me as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court because of outspoken opposition to their immoral agenda."

Moore had ordered Alabama probate judges not to follow the Supreme Court's ruling. He declared Obergefell "manifestly absurd and unjust ... contrary to reason and divine law ... not entitled to precedential value."

he Court of the Judiciary, a nine-member panel made up of Alabama judges, lawyers and appointed citizens, noted that his order would "put 68 probate judges in direct defiance of federal law." It said that made the same-sex marriage controversy "worse than" the actions that led up to his 2003 removal from the bench.

The earlier situation arose from Moore's 2001 unveiling of a 5,280-pound granite monument of the Ten Commandments in the State Judicial Building. A federal trial judge ruled that Moore violated the First Amendment's imperative that government "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

Moore became Alabama chief justice in January 2001. Earlier, as a circuit court judge in Gadsden, Alabama, he had displayed a plaque of the Ten Commandments in his courtroom and invited clergy to lead prayers before trials.
In the dispute over the granite block topped with the Ten Commandments depiction, the federal judge said it was so massive and so different from anything else in other public places that it plainly signaled an endorsement of religion, under multiple US Supreme Court precedents. The judge rejected Moore's contention that the US Supreme Court failed "to understand the historical relationship between God and the state."
Moore lost appeals to the US Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and the US Supreme Court but still refused to move the monument.
When the Alabama Court of the Judiciary took up a related ethics complaint, it said it was not casting judgment on "the acknowledgment of God" in a public building.

"Indeed, we recognize that the acknowledgment of God is very much a vital part of the public and private fabric of our country," the court said. Yet it concluded, "the highest judicial officer of this state had decided to defy a court order" and must be removed from office.

Moore, who lost bids to be Alabama governor in 2006 and 2010, ran again for the chief justice position in 2012 and was elected.
He was soon back in the crosshairs. After his latest removal, the Court of the Judiciary wrote of his pattern of "taking actions grossly inconsistent with his duties as chief justice":

"The result in both instances has been a lengthy, costly proceeding for this court ... and most unfortunately, the taxpayers of this state."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/politics/ ... index.html

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

That's a pistol.

Had he been waving his gun around they would have hauled him off.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

906XJ wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm
That's a pistol.

Had he been waving his gun around they would have hauled him off.

Oh, right. He only waves that at little girls. :razz

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Zing!

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 pm

I just seen on Inside Edition that back when these girls say they were getting hit on, Roy Moore had been banned from some shopping mall. They said the mall was instructing young ladies back then to let mall security know if they see Roy Moore, and they would take care of him. I can't make this up. Channel 4 Inside Edition today at 4:30 today.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Can't beat Inside Edition for hard hitting, investigative TV journalism.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Yup...

He should of just drowned throse girls after He fooled around with them. He could have become the "Lion" of the Senate taking that path. :barf
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 am

I've read through pages of arguments here, curious if anyone would go back to their own sexual history. (No, not that kind of curious.) To explain what I mean...

Can you think of a person you've had sexual contact with; whom might have an axe to grind? And by "sexual contact" I'm not limiting things strictly to intercourse. If the incident occurred many years ago, and that person came forward now, could you defend yourself?

I'll give an example... I have the vaguest recollection of sharing a hot tub with some girl I met on the Internet. I can remember she was very tall, we walked along a road together during the "date". I know I didn't force anything because needing to force something has always struck me as pathetic, but that's me. Now let me tell you what I can't remember...

Her name. An exact date (anywhere from 9-18 years ago). Exactly what "acts" we did. Where this occurred (city). If we ever spoke again. And I'm sure a lot of other questions I haven't even considered. I suppose I can't swear I know how old she was... all I can offer in my defense would be that I like fully-developed boobs and hips (but that doesn't come off very well publicly) and that I'd assume a 6'2" chick was at least 17, (but that's not a hard rule either).

My gut tells me she couldn't do any better recalling me. But who knows? Maybe I made an impression? I swear to you that I once found a personal ad written by a girl I'd dated years earlier that stated she was ONLY interested in guys who matched my exact physical description and other items that would narrow it down to just me. It freaks me out to this day.

What if I suddenly had my face in the news and she remembered it? If she we to accuse me of forcing something, she might have much more detail about the evening itself and I'd be standing there saying, "duh?"

That's why you've got to draw a line through this stuff somewhere. There is no way I could say "that's false, I was at a drag race in Norwalk, Ohio that evening and there's a photo of me in the stands."

Am I defending Roy Moore? No, but I can appreciate how impossible it must be to defend against an ancient accusation that's been politically weaponized. And unless you can remember every date you've ever had, so should you.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 am

No respect.

Yourself. Others.

Get off.

No strings.

Moore-induced reality jolt. Humans used? Have memory.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 am

Off your meds again? Complete sentences are a good thing. In your case, still living in mom and dad's basement, you can remember everything since your hand has been your only partner.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:54 am

screen glare wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 am
No respect.

Yourself. Others.

Get off.

No strings.

Moore-induced reality jolt. Humans used? Have memory.
I like to imagine you gasping and fanning yourself between bursts of typing. The visual looks like this to me.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 am
I've read through pages of arguments here, curious if anyone would go back to their own sexual history. (No, not that kind of curious.) To explain what I mean...

Can you think of a person you've had sexual contact with; whom might have an axe to grind? And by "sexual contact" I'm not limiting things strictly to intercourse. If the incident occurred many years ago, and that person came forward now, could you defend yourself?

I'll give an example... I have the vaguest recollection of sharing a hot tub with some girl I met on the Internet. I can remember she was very tall, we walked along a road together during the "date". I know I didn't force anything because needing to force something has always struck me as pathetic, but that's me. Now let me tell you what I can't remember...

Her name. An exact date (anywhere from 9-18 years ago). Exactly what "acts" we did. Where this occurred (city). If we ever spoke again. And I'm sure a lot of other questions I haven't even considered. I suppose I can't swear I know how old she was... all I can offer in my defense would be that I like fully-developed boobs and hips (but that doesn't come off very well publicly) and that I'd assume a 6'2" chick was at least 17, (but that's not a hard rule either).

My gut tells me she couldn't do any better recalling me. But who knows? Maybe I made an impression? I swear to you that I once found a personal ad written by a girl I'd dated years earlier that stated she was ONLY interested in guys who matched my exact physical description and other items that would narrow it down to just me. It freaks me out to this day.

What if I suddenly had my face in the news and she remembered it? If she we to accuse me of forcing something, she might have much more detail about the evening itself and I'd be standing there saying, "duh?"

That's why you've got to draw a line through this stuff somewhere. There is no way I could say "that's false, I was at a drag race in Norwalk, Ohio that evening and there's a photo of me in the stands."

Am I defending Roy Moore? No, but I can appreciate how impossible it must be to defend against an ancient accusation that's been politically weaponized. And unless you can remember every date you've ever had, so should you.
I would think when you have 6 though it’d be easy to remember one even 40 years ago...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic