Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Open Carry Crackpots

Some folks just cannot resist the urge to debate current issues of the day...here's the place to satisfy your craving. BE FOREWARNED - if you are an intellectual lightweight, you might find it a bit rough in here. This place is kinda like a never-ending edition of the McLaughlin Group. (Whatever happened to Mort Zuckerman, anyway?)
screen glare

Open Carry Crackpots

Post by screen glare » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Anyone have a problem with open carry in some parts of the USA?

And does it matter to you what the person openly carrying a gun down the sidewalk looks like?

Turkeytop

Re: Open Carry Crackpots

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 am

I don't fully understand the terms "open carry" and "conceal carry." But once, we were in a Home Depot store in Florida. A guy was strutting up and down with a gun, in a holster, on his hip. At first I thought he was store security. Turns out, he was just a customer. It looked obscene. May as well have been walking around exposing his privates.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 am

Meh... I respect their right to perform the act... even if I think it is a bit silly and foolish. I mean, all it does is makes them a target.

Think about it... if a bad guy is about to do a bad thing... it seems to me he's going to take out the people with known weapons first.

Concealed carry is far more effective.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 am

Excluding responsible uniformed law enforcement - open carry says to strangers, "I am not uniformed responsible law enforcement and I can kill you if I decide you need to die." That recognition will alarm. And it could cause panic.

In instantly trying to assess threat level most humans will key on ethnicity, race, gender, clothing, language and any other visual or audible clue. And their personal conclusion could intensify their panic.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:56 am

Is there anyone on here who can defend openly carrying a gun?? Anyone of you doing that?

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:54 am

Conceal carry is one thing but this open business I don't like at all. To me it just enables some of these narcissist assholes or worst egg's a crazy paranoid person. I hope they never allow this here in Ohio at least in public. To me at best it just makes you look like a douche.

I believe Michigan and Ohio laws are similar on guns.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:54 am
Conceal carry is one thing but this open business I don't like at all. To me it just enables some of these narcissist assholes or worst egg's a crazy paranoid person. I hope they never allow this here in Ohio at least in public. To me at best it just makes you look like a douche.

I believe Michigan and Ohio laws are similar on guns.
The open carry is a major difference though...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm

As of 2016 - five states and The District of Columbia were the only places within the USA where it is illegal to openly carry a handgun.

1. New York
2. South Carolina
3. Florida
4. Illinois
5. California
6. Washington DC

Licensing, permits, fees, types of holsters, and other regulations regarding open carry legality in the rest of the USA vary state-to-state. But yeah, you can legally carry a hand gun on your person for others to notice in just about all parts of the USA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic