Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NFL Draft in Detroit

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
matt1

NFL Draft in Detroit

Post by matt1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 am

Matt

Re: NFL Draft in Detroit

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

Fascinating.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

Instead of commenting on the various fashion statements, I'll just say the Lions must be truly concerned about the state of their cornerback room having taken both Arnold and Rakestraw in the first two rounds, and then not having another pick till the fifth round, barring trades of course.

Division rivals the Bears and Vikes will be fielding rookie QBs this season; four games hopefully the Lions won't take too lightly.

And the overhead shot of the draft venue Thursday evening was certainly impressive; I think it had the original Woodstock beat by a mile...literally! :smokin :lol
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

I have criticized Brad Holmes draft choices for two years. I now have come to the realization that Holmes knows a tad more about NFL potential than I do.
The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

I can't complain about either pick, BUT, giving up the early third round pick to move from 29 to 24 in the first round seems like a lot to give up for that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 am

I agree completely. They must've been worried shitless the defensive back they wanted from 'Bama wasn't going to be in the board at 29.

That said, the next defensive back selected after Arnold wasn't taken until pick 30. So, if someone from to 24 to 28 was intent on taking Arnold, it certainly wasn't obvious to me.

The Lions desperately needed defensive backs, so I like the selections themselves.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

The Lions apparently got word the Packers were interested in Arnold at #25, or so goes the rumor. Giving up a high third-rounder was a semi-panic move.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 pm

If the Lions had even a mediocre secondary last year, they probably beat SF and get to the Super Bowl. Add in the Sutton fiasco and you can see how desperate we are in that area. I got zero problems with this draft so far, and expect Holmes to work some more magic today.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

Listening to 97.1 it seems Brad Holmes thought Arnold was in a whole different league than all the other CB's.
Evidently the Eagles didn't think so sine they took the CB out of Toledo a couple picks earlier.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 pm

Some head scratching picks so far today. I guess you put your faith in Holmes and see w'hoppens.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 pm

Did the Lions let Santa Ono make that pick?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm

The pick of H*** O-lineman Giovanni Manu out of British Columbia is reminiscent of last year's third rounder DT Brodric Martin, only this one's on offense. They may be rough in a lot of areas, but ya can't coach size.

The S/RB out of Utah sounds like a special teamer at best. Maybe with the new kickoff rules that was the whole idea.
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:24 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm
The S/RB out of Utah sounds like a special teamer at best. Maybe with the new kickoff rules that was the whole idea.
Yeah, the position of kick returner is suddenly a relevant position this year. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the new kickoff rules and exactly how that will look.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:24 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm
Yeah, the position of kick returner is suddenly a relevant position this year. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the new kickoff rules and exactly how that will look.
I wasn't necessarily seeing Vaki as a kick returner, but apparently he can play almost anywhere.
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 pm

The general consensus seems to be that Detroit got 2 steals in the 6th round with Wingo and Mahogany as both were considered 3rd or 4th round prospects.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic