Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NCAA bracket

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

NCAA bracket

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 am

Thoughts?

I just now have time to take a look at it. Just some observations:

-The regional placements are a mess. San Diego State and Washington State (5 and 7 seeds) both in the East? North Carolina in the west? At the 1-seed in particular, that is ridiculous. They should have put NC in the south and Houston in the West. Michigan State (West) and TCU (Midwest) (9 seeds) should have been swapped as well. Or even, seems to me that a lot of teams would probably rather fall by 1 seed number in exchange for a more appropriate region placement. I know early games are played in a little more region-appropriate locations but it seems they could organize this a lot better. I'm sure Michigan State would have rather been the 10-seed in East (swapped with Drake). Drawing an 8 or 9 seed out of region is pretty much the worst you can get.

-2 of the play-in games are on the 10-seed line? I don't like that, those should be on the 11 or 12-line.

-Gonzaga is a 5? I haven't paid much attention lately, but weren't they barely on the bubble just a few weeks ago?

radiofann

Re: NCAA bracket

Post by radiofann » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 am

I don’t closely follow these things, but could they be mixing up east and west teams for maximum tv ratings and time periods and time zones across the different networks covering the tournaments?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:07 pm

UNC is the weakest of the #1 seeds so they go farthest from home. Houston could get to the FF playing rounds 3 and 4 in Texas.

Play in games are on the 10 line because an automatic qualifier from a bigger conference who wins their tourney as a bubble beater, like Oregon, NC State, New Mexico, can't be in a play-in.

Gonzaga as a 5 is ridiculous, JMU will win that game.

Spartans are lucky to be in it. I think they got a decent draw, actually. I'd rather play UNC than Arizona or ISU frankly. Provided they don't lose to the other MSU on Thursday.

Best bet I see right of the bat: Morehead State and Illinois over 147.5 total points.
The censorship king from out of state.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:07 pm
UNC is the weakest of the #1 seeds so they go farthest from home. Houston could get to the FF playing rounds 3 and 4 in Texas.

Play in games are on the 10 line because an automatic qualifier from a bigger conference who wins their tourney as a bubble beater, like Oregon, NC State, New Mexico, can't be in a play-in.

Spartans are lucky to be in it. I think they got a decent draw, actually. I'd rather play UNC than Arizona or ISU frankly. Provided they don't lose to the other MSU on Thursday.

Best bet I see right of the bat: Morehead State and Illinois over 147.5 total points.
Huh?? They're playing in Charlotte... it's about a two hour drive.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:25 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm
Honeyman wrote:

I didn't mean the first rounds. I meant the regional finals.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:25 pm
teetoppz28 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:26 pm
Honeyman wrote:

I didn't mean the first rounds. I meant the regional finals.
Ah yes. Then you are correct in that case. :)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:01 pm

I agree that both Gonzaga and North Carolina were given overly generous treatment by the committee.

Indiana State was screwed royally by the committee. The fact they were denied an at-large bid is absurd.

I do agree with the Hoosiers being left out; they had a lot of lopsided losses in the regular season and also got manhandled by Nebraska in the Big Ten tournament.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:28 pm

The committee has long penalized teams for just barely making it by scheduling them far away. Because I haven't had cable since Christmas, I cannot comment on the teams this year.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:08 am

UCONN wins it all repeats as National Champions
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:59 pm

My Final Four: UConn, St. Mary's, Kentucky, and Creighton

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:22 am

Anyone taking a gamble on Saint Peter's making it to the Elite Eight again like in 2022? Go Peacocks!! :)

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:03 pm

Just like last year, I'm getting my ass handed to me in the coin flip or near coin flip games. Got Nevada wrong thanks to an epic 17 point meltdown in the last 5 minutes. Got BYU wrong. Got Michigan State wrong. Got South Carolina wrong. So basically, I have thus far gotten every single game outside of the 1-2-3 seeds wrong. I remember that last year I went 0-4 in the 9/8 games.

I think next year I'm just going to flip a coin for all the 6/11, 7/10, and 8/9 games.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:20 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:03 pm
Just like last year, I'm getting my ass handed to me in the coin flip or near coin flip games. Got Nevada wrong thanks to an epic 17 point meltdown in the last 5 minutes. Got BYU wrong. Got Michigan State wrong. Got South Carolina wrong. So basically, I have thus far gotten every single game outside of the 1-2-3 seeds wrong. I remember that last year I went 0-4 in the 9/8 games.

I think next year I'm just going to flip a coin for all the 6/11, 7/10, and 8/9 games.
Only game I've missed is Duquesne so far. But I got McNeese and Samford tonight. If you bet, take them with the spread. Might not win, but they'll cover.

GO GREEN!!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm

Heh, I have Gonzaga and Kansas, with Kansas falling to Gonzaga in the next round.

Just about any combination out of that 4-team part of the bracket seems equally likely. I'm never brave enough to take 13 seeds on my bracket in the 1st round.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm
Heh, I have Gonzaga and Kansas, with Kansas falling to Gonzaga in the next round.

Just about any combination out of that 4-team part of the bracket seems equally likely. I'm never brave enough to take 13 seeds on my bracket in the 1st round.
I'm in a seeded bracket pool.....so it behooves you to pick upsets, early at least.

Who's your FF?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic