Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pistons personnel moves within past 24 hours

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Pistons personnel moves within past 24 hours

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am

They made trades (involving 2nd round draft picks mostly) to acquire - wait for it....

Two more fucking guards, although one is a swing player that can also play small forward.

Both are on expiring contracts this coming season. Joe Harris from the Nets and Monte Morris from the Wizards. I don't get it. What the heck does this accomplish, exactly?

Weaver seems to love swapping journeymen players in & out just for the sake of making moves. Now, he's completely overloaded at the Guard position and everyone knows it. We'll see who he dumps. I wouldn't expect much in return.

Gotta love MLive:
The Denver Nuggets selected Morris with the 51st overall pick (second round) of the 2021 NBA draft. Morris played five seasons with the Nuggets before heading to the Wizards last year.
Gee, the math in the above snippet doesn't quite add up. :lol

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Re: Pistons personnel moves within past 24 hours

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am
They made trades (involving 2nd round draft picks mostly) to acquire - wait for it....

Two more fucking guards, although one is a swing player that can also play small forward.

Both are on expiring contracts this coming season. Joe Harris from the Nets and Monte Morris from the Wizards. I don't get it. What the heck does this accomplish, exactly?

Weaver seems to love swapping journeymen players in & out just for the sake of making moves. Now, he's completely overloaded at the Guard position and everyone knows it. We'll see who he dumps. I wouldn't expect much in return.

Gotta love MLive:
The Denver Nuggets selected Morris with the 51st overall pick (second round) of the 2021 NBA draft. Morris played five seasons with the Nuggets before heading to the Wizards last year.
Gee, the math in the above snippet doesn't quite add up. :lol
It’s worse than that… the guy is from FLINT and was a Mr. Michigan Basketball in 2013. So they’ve covered him. The 5 years is right. He was drafted in 2017.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:10 am

Monte Morris is consistently a league leader in assists-to-turnovers ratio. I'd say that addresses a big problem with this Pistons team. He's only signed through this season.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:02 am

He only averaged 10 points in 27 minutes average playing time per game last season. He did average 5.3 assists, which is quite good for 27 minutes a game, but his lackluster direct scoring suggests to me he lkely has trouble with dribble penetration.

With the overabundance of guards the Pistons have, including the young guys, I question how much playing time he'll receive here. We already have one underutilized veteran guard in Burks.

Given the clumsy teammates by whom he will likely be surrounded, I predict his assist count per 48 minutes will be lower here than with the Wizards.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am

Now, he's completely overloaded at the Guard position and everyone knows it. We'll see who he dumps. I wouldn't expect much in return.
I haven't followed the Pistons since about 2006 or 2007 when it became clear a repeat wasn't in the cards so I ain't pretending any armchair expertise .
But if there isn't some sort of trade deadline looming I suppose being overloaded with guards gives you room to trade some for other positions would it not?
I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:39 pm

Trade deadline isn't until February. You may be thinking about roster cuts that traditionally get made late in training camp and during preseason as teams can only carry so many active players on their roster into the regular season.

The Pistons will probably try dealing one or two of their guards this summer; they now have very little cap space with which to work. I would not expect much in terms of return. Maybe a scrub player with an expiring or cheap contract and/or a second round draft pick for a future year.

McGruder's contract expired after last season; he almost certainly will not be re-signed. He only earned the veteran league minimum last season, if I remember correctly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic