Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Draft Lottery

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Draft Lottery

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:48 am

Are you saying Thompson is akin to Jordan? :)

Sorry, but I think your analogy is a rather poor one. There was no consensus "best player available" when the Pistons made their selection at five.

That said, I will acknowledge there were a number of mock draft boards that had Ausar Thompson being taken by DET at number five.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:48 am
Are you saying Thompson is akin to Jordan? :)

Sorry, but I think your analogy is a rather poor one. There was no consensus "best player available" when the Pistons made their selection at five.
:lol Well, Thompson "could" be akin to Jordan...eventually...and in a pig's eye. :lol

My essential point was that the Pistons DID draft for need in the absence of no consensus best player available...irrespective of position.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:37 pm

Burks
Ivey
Cunningham
Hayes
Diallo
Joseph

...and now the two guys drafted on Thursday.

They have too many guards. They need more big men in the front court who can actually play. Beef Stew disappointed me last year, and Bagley is garbage. I'll hold out a bit of hope for Wiseman.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:57 pm

A few of those guys you list won't be on the team... probably. Only Cade and Ivey are locks. Thompson would be more of a 2-3 swingman, not a point guard. Even Sasser at a mere 6'1" is more of an off-guard offensively, though he can defend the point.

I liked what I saw in both Bagley and Wiseman. With Duren improving in his sophomore season, we should be set for bigs. Remember, the Pistons have a lot of cap space to sign that so-called 3-and-D forward...if he's out there. Jeremi Grant's name keeps popping up.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:37 pm

Marcus Sasser - a pick that I thought was unjustifiably harshly graded by the "experts" - put up 40 points in summer league action earlier this afternoon.

31 of those points were scored in the second half!

https://www.nba.com/pistons/news/sasser ... finale-win

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:37 pm
Marcus Sasser - a pick that I thought was unjustifiably harshly graded by the "experts" - put up 40 points in summer league action earlier this afternoon.

I recall Austin Daye shooting the lights out in Summer League -- remember him?
- Sydney J. Harris

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:25 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:19 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:37 pm

I recall Austin Daye shooting the lights out in Summer League -- remember him?
Sure… he’s 35, has a ring with the Spurs and hasn’t played in the NBA since 2015. The ring is admittedly more of a right place right time situation. He seems to have made a decent go of it overseas particularly Italy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:26 pm

I barely remember Austin Daye. :)

Far too soon to tell if Sasser will do a darn thing in regular season action but the 31 point second half certainly caught my attention.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:26 pm
I barely remember Austin Daye. :)

Far too soon to tell if Sasser will do a darn thing in regular season action but the 31 point second half certainly caught my attention.
One can easily picture Sasser as "canned heat" off the bench.
- Sydney J. Harris

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:15 pm

Who are you referring to as 'Beef Stew'?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic