Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Revenge Of The Nerds

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Revenge Of The Nerds

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:31 am

https://www.studyfinds.org/study-teens- ... depressed/

I observed in HS that the young women were depressed and crying a lot in class, presumably after some breakup, but I was not usually privy to the gossip surrounding it. The guys that were "active" usually presented with plunging GPAs, rather than crying in class. The ones that were 4.0 frequently dropped, usually to the 3.0 to 3.5 range, sometimes below 3.0. Many of the really "popular" girls with high Junior High GPAs fell below 3.0 by graduation, as their "dating storm" adversely affected their study time.

For you younger posters, in those days, A as 4.0 was as good as it got, not this A+ stuff and 50 Valedictorians in a class. We had two as covaledictorians, but they were not labelled as such. Each had the same GPA. Each received one B in HS. There were no 4.0s. High School was harder in many ways 50 years ago.

Sometimes the young women would hide their academic indifference by packing their schedules with easy classes. As Vietnam and the draft still loomed 50 years ago, the young men didn't have that option. They often needed to get and keep higher GPAs to get and keep student deferments in college. Some joined ROTC or police forces or applied to military academies rather than be perceived as draft dodgers. This increased their likelihood of being spared active duty in Vietnam. They soon eliminated student deferments though.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown