Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I now know your pain...

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
RingtailedFox

I now know your pain...

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

and wow, Toledo... i'm SO sorry for what you have to endure when you guys want to watch television programs.

I'm talking about WMNT-CD 48. It's been BOOMING in to Windsor for the past week, and i can see it in all its pixellated, over-stretched glory. I can barely make out some of the text during commercials and I'm sitting three feet away from the 46-inch screen! It looks like someone's been upconverting a 240p stream for each of its four subchannels. Hell, my Samsung TV doesn't even recognize its subchannels, and just shows it at 36-x... my digital-tuner-equipped VCR shows it as 48.x, but just the same with picture quality

holy fucking hell, how is this the only option for those subchannels in the market? Are we SURE that WGGN in Sandusky can't merge with WMNT and absorb its future allocation and subchannels? they'd probably run it better than the current owners..

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

CurlyHoward

Re: I now know your pain...

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 am

I haven't really watched WMNT since the season or two when the Lions got stuck with them as their Toledo affiliate for preseason games. Back around like 2010. They'd usually have technical difficulties for about half of the game if I remember right. Station's always been a joke.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 am

If that wasn't bad enough, try watching AntennaTV via WMNT 48. Low volume for the network programming and commercials, but brace yourself for the local commercials/psas, loud enough to blast you out of your seat. I wish Buckeye Broadband could offer TV 20 Detroit, WMYD's main channel and AntennaTV subchannel in northwest ohio, in addition to, or in place of 48. Gotta be better than WMNT.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 am
If that wasn't bad enough, try watching AntennaTV via WMNT 48. Low volume for the network programming and commercials, but brace yourself for the local commercials/psas, loud enough to blast you out of your seat. I wish Buckeye Broadband could offer TV 20 Detroit, WMYD's main channel and AntennaTV subchannel in northwest ohio, in addition to, or in place of 48. Gotta be better than WMNT.
Oh, I tried. That's why i posted in here. I couldn't sit through it for longer than 5 minutes. To make matters worse, the signal was strong enough to not even have any drop-outs for about 3 hours, but the station still looked absolutely awful.... :barf

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 pm

All their channels look like they're in "160i".

The .1 is particularly bad. Specifically, it looks like it's been through an optical converter (a fancy way of saying that they have a camera aimed at a screen).

I can also remember them carrying "Make Room for Daddy" - complete with all the cigarette commercials for multiple American Tobbaco Company brands- only a few years ago!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 am

Finally got my WinTV PC tuner working, so I'm planning on going to Toledo with it just so I can finally see just how bad WMNT is. I'll be recording the channels on my tuner too just so I can have a memory, cuz I really need to see just how bad it is.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am

Remember that I also mentioned that WMNT ID's are never on cue with the network, no matter what subchannel. Those also break the TV speakers too.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 am

Well, now you understand our frustration and despair.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:16 am

I remember back in the late 90s, early 2000s, they always had a black screen showing "no signal". This went on for hours. Channel 48 was supposed to be our local UPN affiliate. However, UPN on half of the days was missing. Then around that point the FCC forced the owners to sell to Cornerstone Church. Cornerstone Church did nothing for the quality of the station. By the way, the sale price was $1. That alone tells you something.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am
and wow, Toledo... i'm SO sorry for what you have to endure when you guys want to watch television programs.

I'm talking about WMNT-CD 48. It's been BOOMING in to Windsor for the past week, and i can see it in all its pixellated, over-stretched glory. I can barely make out some of the text during commercials and I'm sitting three feet away from the 46-inch screen! It looks like someone's been upconverting a 240p stream for each of its four subchannels. Hell, my Samsung TV doesn't even recognize its subchannels, and just shows it at 36-x... my digital-tuner-equipped VCR shows it as 48.x, but just the same with picture quality

holy fucking hell, how is this the only option for those subchannels in the market? Are we SURE that WGGN in Sandusky can't merge with WMNT and absorb its future allocation and subchannels? they'd probably run it better than the current owners..
WGGN is a Christian broadcaster. Many Christian stations want nothing to do with secular television, even if it were on a distinctly separate subchannel.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm

really? i mentioned WGGN becuase they air a mixed religious and infomercial feed on 52.1....

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 pm

While WGGN may or may not be interested in such programming, seems to me the easiest fix would be WMYD-TV 20. May not be perfect, but they have mostly the same primetime shows as WMNT, as well as Antenna TV on a subchannel.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm thinking that the problem with wmnt TV is that they do not have a dedicated engineer. And it's also a small operation, with 6 or less people. And since they don't do a lot of local advertising, they don't have the money to buy new equipment.

They don't even have anybody to update their website.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 pm

so.. should we bombard Scripps with requests to increase WMYD's power?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:40 pm

I don't think the power boost will help too much, down here in Toledo. Cable companies rarely put subchannels on their systems. Plus you would still need an outdoor antenna to decently get the signal. People in apartment buildings do not have that luxury, even though the FCC act in 1996 said they should. Plus with indoor antennas, you need to put them in a window or near a window on the outside wall facing north. So if TV 20 were to upgrade its power, it would really have to be a big amount. And I don't think the FCC would allow it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic