Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Here is a list of stations which used to have listenable service in some or all of Metro Detroit, which are no longer heard, or are heard with great difficulty, due to IBOC sidebands, Translators, and Canadian Border Drop Ins. All of the interfering facilities , as authorized, shown in parentheses, are legal according to regulations and treaties. I am surprised by the sheer volume of the stations on the list, and the total number of interfering facilities to them. It underlines the need for an expanded FM band, which is sorely needed, but that the FCC is unlikely to allot.

Stations Lost To Interference:

91.1 WFUM (WDTR IBOC)
92.5 WBGV (WMXD IBOC)
92.5 WVKS (WMXD IBOC)
92.7 WDZZ (CJSP, Translators)
93.3 WKQZ (WDRQ IBOC)
93.5 WHMI (Translators)
94.5 WCEN (WCSX IBOC)
94.5 WXKR (WCSX IBOC)
94.9 WMMQ (WCSX IBOC)
95.1 WFBE (CKUE, Translators)
96.1 WHNN (WDVD IBOC)
97.5 WJIM-FM (CBE-FM)
97.7 WTGV (WJLB IBOC)
98.1 WKCQ (WJLB IBOC)
98.3 WTWR (Translators)
98.9 WOWE (WDZH IBOC)
99.1 WFMK (CJAM, CKXS)
99.7 WUGN (WYCD IBOC)
99.9 WKKO (Translators)
99.9 CFGX (Translators)
100.7 WITL (CKUE)
100.7 WMMS (CKUE)
101.5 WRVF (CBEF, Translators)
101.5 WWBN (CBEF, Translators)
102.1 WLEW (WDET IBOC)
102.3 WGRT (CINA, Translator)
102.3 WPOS (CINA, Translator)
102.5 WIOG (WDKL IBOC)
102.9 WWWW (WDKL IBOC)
103.1 WQUS (CBEF, Translators)
103.7 WCKY (WMUZ IBOC)
103.9 WRSR (CJBC, Translators)
103.9 WLEN (CJBC, Translators)
104.1 WSAG (WOMC IBOC)
104.7 WIOT (Translators)
105.5 WWCK-FM (CBEF, Translators)
105.5 WQQO (CBEF, Translators)
106.1 WJXQ (WDMK IBOC)
106.3 CHKS (Translators)
107.1 WQKL (Translators)
107.1 WSAQ (Translators)
107.3 WNWV (WGPR IBOC)
107.9 WCRZ (Translators)
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ZenithCKLW

Re: FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Yea that kinda killed my FM DX hobby, or getting a taste of what radio outside of Detroit sounds like. Translators are parasites.

Ben Zonia

Re: FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Many of these stations can be heard in some areas by using sophisticated FM DA antennas, some which I would like to buy or build. Even the best tuners, by such manufacturers as McIntosh and Carver, are rendered useless for their intended sophisticated design uses. IBOC is a HUqE problem. Stock, high gain, narrow beam directional antennas are often not even enough for many of these situations. There are often interfering stations and translators in MANY directions, often the same direction as the desired one. Sophisticated interferometer setups, like those used for radiotelescopes, though limited in numbers of antennas, would work in other situations.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:51 pm

With all this talk of revitalizing the AM Band, How long will it be before we need to revitalize the FM Band, The HD Radio idea is what is literally killing the FM Band with HD Radio transmission to the endless amount of translators for rebroadcasting HD subs and AM Stations when will this all end, And what are the solutions if any, The FCC won’t expand the FM Band if you move broadcasting to another spectrum the listeners won’t buy new radios to get the new spectrum so what gives ? What is the answer and if they decided to do anything how many years would it take for a revitalization process 20 or 30 years.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 pm

My opinion:

HD broadcasting is a minor issue compared to the rest of the issues. I don't believe for a second that it "is what is literally killing the FM Band with HD Radio transmission." HD broadcasting and IBOC interference is only noticed by us radio nerds. Translators, as much of an annoying parasite as they are, are a larger problem, but still not killing FM.

"FM revitalization" should be higher standards of programming that is relevant to listeners. The problems plaguing FM are mostly caused by broadcasters themselves. FM kills itself for me when I find myself constantly tuning through the band trying to find something worth listening to, getting frustrated, and deciding "screw it" and going to another source. FM sucks, and it's not because of technology. It's because of business and programming decisions.

You can say an FM station is a great biller because it has high ratings. Yea, high ratings measured and sliced from a shrinking pie of listeners who actually still listen to the radio.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Good points, But the IBOC interferes with the side bands of other stations in nearby situations, Drive Between Pontiac and Flint example WIOG 102.5 was before IBOC received in Pontiac not anymore with 102.7’s IBOC So HD indeed is a factor. Also you’re right about the programming FM to me is a non factor anymore it’s AM Radio or CD’s in the car, Sad but true and you know what it will not get any better, Maybe 5 G will be the endgame for radio who knows.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Nah. I’m not convinced HD is having that effect. The typical listener here in Metro Detroit isn’t trying to pull in WIOG. That’s just something we radio nerds do. And those on the rural fringes of the market who now can’t pull in WIOG when they could before HD aren’t abandoning FM because of that.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:40 pm

The translators are not causing problems either because their on frequencies that are assigned to fringe area stations as well, So everything is OK.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Likewise, people don’t abandon FM because of translators on adjacent channels, as much as I hate them. It’s programming. I abandon FM because of poor programming. My friends abandon FM because of poor programming. My parents even barely listen to FM radio.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 pm

People may be ignorant as to WHETHER OR NOT there was a signal there before. But they are certainly aware when suddenly, a reliable signal like WCRZ North of the middle of Oakland County, playing an alternative to the limited formats available for AC in Detroit, has been replaced with Spanish Language programming. Some probably think that WCRZ went to Spanish Language programming. I really have to wonder how many people need a Spanish format, even compared to the number of "nerds" who listen to nearby adjacent market stations. Eastern Michigan has always been the home to Spanish Language speakers who quickly assimilate, like Que Mark, who grab a microphone and a Farfisa organ and start Rock and Rolling. Few consider Spanish their primary language.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:21 pm

My argument was about IBOC on adjacent channels. Of course, a translator that broadcasts overtop of an existing signal will turn people off. Some crap translator that broadcasts over WQKL which my area is part of its licensed listening area is a problem. But I’m still unconvinced this is the reason people leave FM on a whole.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:22 pm

The fact of the matter is everyone has their own take on the problem, FM is dying because of the programming and the technical nightmare that it has become due to HD Radio and Translators that’s my take, Your take may be different.

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm glad I don't listen to FM anymore, I wouldn't be able to put up with the aggravation with the interference. I do listen to WWJ occasionally.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:34 pm

I just counted 42 stations no longer available on the list. That's pretty dramatic. One has to wonder whether the big owners wanted to turn the band to babble so only their stations are listenable. What did they get? Sirius XM and Alexa, "I'll play whatever I want." They got what they deserved for manipulation.

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:03 am

HD Radio development was the beginning of the end of FM Radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic