Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Great O'Kornholio!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The Great O'Kornholio!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Is it safe to say Mr. O'Korn earned the starting QB job today? :)

He looked GREAT in the second half of today's game. Even in situations where 20+ yards were needed for a 1st down (due to careless penalties), he excelled! O'Korn executed plays resulting in 1st downs multiple times in long yardage situations! He can keep the ball and rush, too, when circumstances dictate.

Simply put - he looked like the complete package today. He came into a very close (and low scoring) game on the road and looked composed and focused the entire time.

Regardless of Speight's health status, O'Korn should be the starter when we play MSU in a couple weeks.

Today's win was very satisfying. I hope I'll be able to say the same in a couple more weeks. There is no question in my mind that MSU will play to the best of their ability in Ann Arbor in two weeks. I just don't have a good read yet as to how good (or not) MSU is.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

NS8401

Re: The Great O'Kornholio!

Post by NS8401 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm

He looked GREAT in the second half of today's game. Even in situations where 20+ yards were needed for a 1st down (due to careless penalties), he excelled! O'Korn executed plays resulting in 1st downs multiple times in long yardage situations! He can keep the ball and rush, too, when circumstances dictate.

Simply put - he looked like the complete package today. He came into a very close (and low scoring) game on the road and looked composed and focused the entire time.

Regardless of Speight's health status, O'Korn should be the starter when we play MSU in a couple weeks.

Today's win was very satisfying. I hope I'll be able to say the same in a couple more weeks. There is no question in my mind that MSU will play to the best of their ability in Ann Arbor in two weeks. I just don't have a good read yet as to how good (or not) MSU is.
I still don't have a lot of confidence in this Michigan team but O'Korn was an improvement over Speight... the offense is still a complete cluster though...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Gee whiz. Do you expect the offense to put up 35 or more points every game?

Or are you alluding to the penalties? If so, I agree with you that U-M took too many of those today. That said, O'Korn was great in overcoming those situations.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:46 pm
Gee whiz. Do you expect the offense to put up 35 or more points every game?

Or are you alluding to the penalties? If so, I agree with you that U-M took too many of those today. That said, O'Korn was great in overcoming those situations.
Gee whiz they only got to 33 and 36 when the game was practically over and it had been close before that... then they do the same and struggle to 28 and 29... all against subpar teams... championship caliber my ass... they are ranked too high... they are a 15 at best and more like a 20 or 21... and yes some of those penalties were ridiculous... O'Korn had some brilliant 3rd downs but they should be putting up much more than 28, most of which was scored in the last quarter and a half after two of Purdues better defenders were removed for targeting... I'm not seeing an improvement from last year yet, that fact concerns me...

They will lose to Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State because of their offense or lack thereof...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am

Few if any folks were expecting this team to be championship caliber this season given the number of first year starters.

My expectation was 9 wins. Now, I'll raise that prediction to 10 wins.

Good point about the loss of personnel on Purdue's D.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am
Few if any folks were expecting this team to be championship caliber this season given the number of first year starters.

My expectation was 9 wins. Now, I'll raise that prediction to 10 wins.

Good point about the loss of personnel on Purdue's D.
I'm curious where you see losses?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 am

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm
I'm not seeing an improvement from last year yet, that fact concerns me...
They lost 7 starters on offense and ten on defense. Some experts rank them 127th out of 130 for experience. I'm not sure how fast you think they will improve from last year.

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm
they are ranked too high... they are a 15 at best and more like a 20 or 21...
Based on starter attrition from last year you may very well be right. We will know as the season unfolds.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 pm

To NS8401 - I see them losing in Pedophilia Valley against Penn State for sure.

Aside from that, I think they'll lose one other game. I just hope it isn't at home against the Buckeyes.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Aside from that, I think they'll lose one other game. I just hope it isn't at home against the Buckeyes.
I was thinking more Wisconsin myself... Ohio State at home will be a unique and interesting game this season.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

I still don't have a lot of confidence in this Michigan team but O'Korn was an improvement over Speight... the offense is still a complete cluster though...
They have the best defense in the country and are one of only two 4-0 teams that have won each game by at least 14 points. The other team is Alabama. The offense will continue to improve, and the defense will be steady. They may lose a game or two, due to inexperience, but there is not a game on the schedule that looks unwinnable.
MWmetalhead wrote:

They're not losing to Penn State. They shut down Barkley last year, and there is no reason to believe they won't be able to mostly replicate this year.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 pm
NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

They have the best defense in the country and are one of only two 4-0 teams that have won each game by at least 14 points. The other team is Alabama. The offense will continue to improve, and the defense will be steady. They may lose a game or two, due to inexperience, but there is not a game on the schedule that looks unwinnable.
MWmetalhead wrote:

They're not losing to Penn State. They shut down Barkley last year, and there is no reason to believe they won't be able to mostly replicate this year.
So they can barely pull away from Purdue but every game going forward is winnable including the 3 top 10 ranked teams we play? Cmon Matt...

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm
Matt wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:31 pm
NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

MWmetalhead wrote:

So they can barely pull away from Purdue but every game going forward is winnable including the 3 top 10 ranked teams we play? Cmon Matt...
As a fellow President Donald Trump supporter, I feel like you should know the definition of winnable. Winnable means that you have a chance to win. I firmly believe that is the case.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 am

While he likely will be unable to dethrone Mark Dantonio as the biggest cunt in the league, Jeff Brohm will not go down without a fight: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... 106016856/

The video is in the link.

The second hit where Speight's neck was knocked forward should have been a personal foul for a late hit at the very minimum.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

I agree with Matt that as I sit here now every game is winnable. As Matt points out that isn't the same as saying they will go 12-0.
I just don't see any game where a win would be considered some sort of big upset. But I do worry about the number of new starters on both sides of the ball. The old "rebuild or reload" debate.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Mr. O’Korn starts against MSU and for several weeks thereafter. Speight is out for an undisclosed reason. I’d be nervous right about now...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm
Mr. O’Korn starts against MSU and for several weeks thereafter. Speight is out for an undisclosed reason. I’d be nervous right about now...
I'm not really any more nervous than before. Neither guy gives me a ton of confidence. But as i said in my previous post I don't see any games they can't win. I couldn't say that under Rich Rod or Hoke.
And as I said before "I don't see any games they can't win" isn't the same as a 12-0 prediction.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 am

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm
I'm not really any more nervous than before. Neither guy gives me a ton of confidence. But as i said in my previous post I don't see any games they can't win. I couldn't say that under Rich Rod or Hoke.
And as I said before "I don't see any games they can't win" isn't the same as a 12-0 prediction.
It's now been realized that RichRod is a bad coach that somehow was lucky at West Virginia. He's run Arizona into the ground. Hoke seemed to have bad luck with recruits turning out to be utter busts (Jabrill Peppers and Mason Cole are the only top-tier Hoke recruits that haven't turned out to be epic busts).

Back to this year, I think Michigan will go somewhere between 9-3 and 11-1 (the 11-1 would include a win over tOSU and losing at either Wisconsin or Ped State)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:02 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 am
It's now been realized that RichRod is a bad coach .... He's run Arizona into the ground.
I think that is a bit of a stretch. Arizona was pretty bad for 9 years till about 2008. Since Rich Rod got there he has done pretty much what the last guy did...win more than you lose by a bit. Considering he is at Arizona which is arguably one of the harder recruiting jobs in the PAC 12 I think he is doing a half way decent job.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:02 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 am
It's now been realized that RichRod is a bad coach .... He's run Arizona into the ground.
I think that is a bit of a stretch. Arizona was pretty bad for 9 years till about 2008. Since Rich Rod got there he has done pretty much what the last guy did...win more than you lose by a bit. Considering he is at Arizona which is arguably one of the harder recruiting jobs in the PAC 12 I think he is doing a half way decent job.
Hokes first Team was almost all Rich Rod recruits... they went 10-3. I think Rich Rod wasn’t given enough time and got railroaded out because he wasn’t a “Michigan Man”... it’s the only qualification that matters. That and a connection to the overrated Bo Schembecler...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Michigan's D looks like horseshit in the early going of tonight's game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic