All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

J.D. Martinez - TRADED

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

J.D. Martinez - TRADED

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm

So, we only got the #5 and #15 minor league prospects from the Diamondbacks organization in return, along with an unranked prospect.

The Diamondbacks farm system is arguably the worst in baseball. Keith Law says NO ONE in their farm system makes the Top 100 MLB prospect list, and bear in mind the best player we got in return, according to some, is not even a top five prospect within the putrid D'Backs organization.

This is a disappointing return. Avila pulled the trigger too quickly; he should've waited for something better. He seems to be following in the footsteps of his counterpart, Ken Holland.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

SoupySez

Re: J.D. Martinez - TRADED

Post by SoupySez » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 pm

I read the one guy, Lugo, was rated #2 by one baseball publication and #4 by another. The next guy was around 14 or 15. The kid is only 18 yrs old, supposed to have blazing speed and could be in single A ball next year. As usual, these guys are question marks, but they could turn out to be gems in a couple of years. That's what this trade was about, not what they will do now, but 2-3 yrs from now. Only time will tell.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 am

I'm disappointed that the Tigers are throwing in the towel on this season. They're on a 4-game winning streak, Cleveland has lost 4 out of 5, and Minnesota 4 out of 6. Detroit has closed their deficit from 9.5 games out of first place to 5.5 games in barely a week. Not saying I expect this to continue or for them to make the playoffs, but given the recent developments this past week, Detroit certainly could have waited a bit longer to make a decision.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 am

J.D. is arguably just a half-year rental for the D-backs, or for any team that would have traded for him outside of the Dodgers. However, I agree that it couldn't hurt to wait till the deadline; a lot can happen between now and then in spite of threats by teams to pull their trade offers. There's always the risk of injury to consider as well; J.D. has had a history of 'em. Dombrowski was good at sensing other teams' needs and calling their bluffs; Avila appears to be a different animal entirely.

With Miggy presently looking a bit lost at the plate and J.D. gone, I expect pitchers won't be dealing up lollipops to any of our other bats. It might, however, just get this team into the habit of manufacturing runs instead of always playing for the big inning.

All the scuttlebutt I'm reading about Verlander and J. Wilson has me more intrigued. Heck, even A-Rod's suggestion of Dombrowski trading again for Miggy has me intrigued!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

Horseshit. The Tigers should have either held out for a better haul of prospects from Arizona or whoever (Cleveland, who has a much better farm system was also rumored to be in pursuit of JD) OR used JD as leverage to get rid of Verlander or Cabrera's contracts. Neither happened.

Avila really seems to be in over his head. And, of course, Ausmus is still manager.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic