Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No Odors Please. We're Chinese

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

No Odors Please. We're Chinese

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:47 pm

In Stephen King's 1983 novel, "Christine". one of the characters, an old man, reminisces about his old car and the smell it had back when it was a new car.

" Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy. "

The Chinese wouldn't agree with him on that score. At least, not about the new car part of it. The Chinese find the smell of a new car so offensive, that Ford is trying to make a car, free of odor, for the Chinese market.
Ford’s found a way to appease Chinese consumers who hate the new-car smell

In the US, you can buy fragrances that emulate the new-car smell. In China, such an idea would seem utterly absurd because consumers loathe that lingering scent.

Ford has long known this, having hired “golden noses” in China whose job is to sniff car parts, sending them back when their scent is deemed offensive. Adding to its research in the area, the company on Nov. 8 filed a patent application for a process that purports to remove the smell, reports the Detroit Free Press.

According to JD Power, more than 10% of drivers in China—the world’s largest auto market—complained about the new-car smell in its 2018 survey. As Quartz has reported in the past, Chinese consumers who are car shopping think the odor is a bigger problem than poor fuel economy and wind noise, as some worry the smell could be a health hazard.

It’s understandable why they might think that. According to Ford’s application, the new-car smell is caused primarily by the off-gassing of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the vehicle’s materials, such as plastic, leather, and vinyl. In addition, the adhesives, glass cleaners, and sealants used in the manufacturing process can also contribute to the odor. The US Environmental Protection Agency notes that exposure to VOCs can have health effects ranging from headaches to memory impairment, though some chemicals have no known health effects.

The process detailed by Ford in its patent application proposes using heat to speed up the off-gassing by “baking” the car in the sun. The baking process would be accompanied by opening at least one window, turning on the heater, turning on the fan, or running the engine. Ford’s proposed system would use sensors to determine if the intensity of the sunlight and the ambient temperature are high enough to trigger the off-gassing and to measure the level of VOCs.

Though Ford has clearly spent time thinking about this problem, the company told the Free Press it doesn’t have specific plans to deploy the technology in its vehicles yet. “This patent is the result of years of research and is just one idea we are considering for future use,” Debbie Mielewski, senior technical leader in materials sustainability at Ford, told the newspaper.
https://qz.com/1469827/fords-found-a-wa ... car-smell/
-
-
-
-

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Re: No Odors Please. We're Chinese

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am

Now, if Ford could figure out how to make the interior of the new GT500 smell like pussy, they'd be on to something.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am
Now, if Ford could figure out how to make the interior of the new GT500 smell like pussy, they'd be on to something.
Even as a straight man that is something I cannot condone... that stuff stinks mightily...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Smells like fish.
Tastes like chicken - -

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Before I retired, I used to do business with a Company that manufactured plastic components for car interiors. Whenever I went there, the entire plant smelled like a new car. Guys who worked there, if they bought a new car, would go out and buy a cheap air freshener to for it. They didn't want their car to smell like their workplace.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 pm
Smells like fish.
Tastes like chicken - -
Close your eyes and keep on lickin'!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am

I regret wandering into this thread.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am
I regret wandering into this thread.
Why? Didn't pass the smell test?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Now that was a nasty crack.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm
Bryce wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Now that was a nasty crack.
Sorry if I muffed up your thread.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:27 pm

So this explains why there are so few Chinese tourists to Ireland. They don't like flying on Air Lingus.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:27 pm
So this explains why there are so few Chinese tourists to Ireland. They don't like flying on Air Lingus.
Unless they're very cunning.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Another cunning stunt.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:32 pm
Another cunning stunt.
Try to get my licks in when I can...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:42 am

Lickety split.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic