Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Finally - a Freep sports columnist with a CLUE!!!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Finally - a Freep sports columnist with a CLUE!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 pm

I've only noticed this Carlos fella's work within the past couple weeks, but I have really enjoyed what little of his work I've seen so far.

He is 100% on point with this article from today; nicely done!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/l ... /96161940/

Deleted User 8570

Re: Finally - a Freep sports columnist with a CLUE!!!

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:I've only noticed this Carlos fella's work within the past couple weeks, but I have really enjoyed what little of his work I've seen so far.

Well that was overly harsh...

Caldwell hasn't won a playoff game? True. But they've only had one (with Dallas) and the refs really screwed things up. Not much of a track record. Caldwell would have been toast if they hadn't made it. Period.

The idea that somehow going once and losing means "fire that guy!" Is hilarious.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 am

The fact that Coach Caldwell hasn't won a playoff game in 3 years pales in comparison to the bigger picture that that the Lions have only won 1 playoff game in 53 years of Ford-ownership.

Plus, while I have no reason to believe that Detroit has even a prayer in Seattle, I'll hold off on my opinions of Caldwell until the Lions are actually done this year.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 am

I don't know if Caldwell is the answer or not.
But he has the best 3 year regular season start of a Lions coach since Buddy Parker in 1951-52-53.
Bobby Ross is the only other Lions coach to ever see the playoffs twice in their first 3 years.

So I don't have a big problem giving him another year.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:07 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 pm
I've only noticed this Carlos fella's work within the past couple weeks, but I have really enjoyed what little of his work I've seen so far.

Do you still believe this?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:54 pm

Are you asking about Caldwell or the overall quality of Monarrez's work?

Regarding Caldwell - long-term, ditching him was the right move.

Regarding Monarrez - too many of his opinions are sophomoric. I suspect a good chunk of what he writes might be tongue-in-cheek in a way, but I do not know for sure. A recent column he wrote regarding possible successors to Mario Impemba & Rod Allen in the Tigers' TV booth was loaded with one rotten take after another. So, I guess that means he fits right in at the Free Press from an intellect standpoint! :lol

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:33 am

Overall quality - as you noted, it is shit. Caldwell should never have been hired.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:54 pm
Regarding Monarrez - too many of his opinions are sophomoric.
Case in point: Grading the Lions' drafting of Ragnow in the first round an F. :rolleyes

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic