All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Orange Bowl

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
NS8401

Orange Bowl

Post by NS8401 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:28 pm

Michigan looks rather directionless so far with about 5 minutes in the 3rd...

So far the B1G 10 is 2-3 in bowl games. I thought the conference was a little more improved than that...

NS8401

Re: Orange Bowl

Post by NS8401 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Michigans end of game clock management was atrocious. Why would you have well over a minute and 3 timeouts to stop the clock and instead let them get it down to :34 when they score?

Harbaugh must come from the Jim Caldwell school of clock management...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:31 am

The Wolverines were screwed the instant they allowed FSU to return the kickoff 66 yards on that final drive. After that chilling mishap occurred, their goal at that point was to try to drain the clock to zero before FSU could get into the end zone. Of course, they failed miserably in that regard.

The sloppy play of U-M's defense in critical late game situations should be a gigantic concern. First Iowa, then OSU, now this.

I give the offense a lot of credit. Unlike the aforementioned Iowa and OSU games, they came to life last night. They played admirably through adversity. At halftime, I was thinking FSU was gonna win this game by three touchdowns. If Peppers were in the line-up and uninjured, I believe Michigan would've emerged victorious.

The Wolverines would've won last night had they simply scored a TD on the drive that started from the Iowa 1-yard line in the first quarter!!!! Credit FSU's defense for that impressive goal line stand.

U-M's squad isn't as good as most of us thought (myself included) mid-way to two-thirds of the way through the regular reason. That's for sure. I thought the BCS committee made the right decision all along not including them in the final four. How the hell do you force Washington, Clemson or Ohio State to sit home? The lack of production offensively against Indiana, Iowa and OSU and dropping two of three games toward the end of the regular season is why I felt that way.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:The Wolverines were screwed the instant they allowed FSU to return the kickoff 66 yards on that final drive. After that chilling mishap occurred, their goal at that point was to try to drain the clock to zero before FSU could get into the end zone. Of course, they failed miserably in that regard.

The sloppy play of U-M's defense in critical late game situations should be a gigantic concern. First Iowa, then OSU, now this.

I give the offense a lot of credit. Unlike the aforementioned Iowa and OSU games, they came to life last night. They played admirably through adversity. At halftime, I was thinking FSU was gonna win this game by three touchdowns. If Peppers were in the line-up and uninjured, I believe Michigan would've emerged victorious.

The Wolverines would've won last night had they simply scored a TD on the drive that started from the Iowa 1-yard line in the first quarter!!!! Credit FSU's defense for that impressive goal line stand.

U-M's squad isn't as good as most of us thought (myself included) mid-way to two-thirds of the way through the regular reason. That's for sure. I thought the BCS committee made the right decision all along not including them in the final four. How the hell do you force Washington, Clemson or Ohio State to sit home? The lack of production offensively against Indiana, Iowa and OSU and dropping two of three games toward the end of the regular season is why I felt that way.
Given the way FSU was CLEARLY going to score after that kickoff return (you could literally feel the momentum shift) I would have called the timeouts. Up 30-27 and trying to run out the clock before they kick a field goal when they start right at the edge of field goal range is playing for overtime, not for a win. FSU had timeouts and the field goal option, why let them screw you even more by eating an entire minute of clock??

Harbaugh is gonna end up like Bo... good coach... losing bowl record... probably losing record against OSU (one thing bo could win at) and lots of regular season wins with no national championships. For all the celebrating of Bo he didn't do much...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:53 am

Given the fact U-M was missing two of its best players all of the game (Peppers) or most of the game (Butt) and lost by only one point, I certainly wouldn't panic!!!

If it weren't for Speight's horrendously errant pass on 3rd & goal in the first (the drive where Michigan started from the FSU 1-yard line) or a clueless special teams crew on FSU's game winning drive, U-M likely wins the game.

Hey - at least the Wolverines didn't get blanked like the Fuckeyes did last night!!! :lol

Both BCS semi-final contests proved to be disappointing. At least the 'Bama / Huskies game was competitive through the first half. Last night's game between the Tigers and Buckeyes was a snoozer.

Big Ten has fared poorly in bowl contests thus far. Minnesota beat a crappy Washington State team and Northwestern had a come from behind victory against a decent Pitt team. Everyone else has lost. We'll see how well Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State fare today & tomorrow.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:Given the fact U-M was missing two of its best players all of the game (Peppers) or most of the game (Butt) and lost by only one point, I certainly wouldn't panic!!!

If it weren't for Speight's horrendously errant pass on 3rd & goal in the first (the drive where Michigan started from the FSU 1-yard line) or a clueless special teams crew on FSU's game winning drive, U-M likely wins the game.

Hey - at least the Wolverines didn't get blanked like the Fuckeyes did last night!!! :lol

Both BCS semi-final contests proved to be disappointing. At least the 'Bama / Huskies game was competitive through the first half. Last night's game between the Tigers and Buckeyes was a snoozer.

Big Ten has fared poorly in bowl contests thus far. Minnesota beat a crappy Washington State team and Northwestern had a come from behind victory against a decent Pitt team. Everyone else has lost. We'll see how well Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State fare today & tomorrow.
I'm not really panicking and it was a fantastic game but I am a little disappointed...

RJ Gumby

Post by RJ Gumby » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:39 pm

I find it interesting that this season, U of M only played 4 games outside the state of Michigan. And they went 1-3 in those games. Maybe scheduling all those home games is good financially, but not so much competitively.

"Television is a triumph of equipment over people, and the minds that control it are so small that you could put them in the navel of a flea and still have enough room beside them for a network vice president's heart." - Fred Allen

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:31 am

I think it's more of a first half of season vs. second half of season thing.

First half of season - Michigan played outstanding football.

Second half of season - they underachieved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic