All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Michigan v. Ohio State

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Matt

Re: Michigan v. Ohio State

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:14 am

craig11152 wrote:This is why college football crowning a "champion" is a joke. There are 128 teams in the FBS and a committee is going to pick 4 to play for a mythical title. If we look at real championship formats by number of teams in league and number in playoffs...

NFL 32/12......37.7%
MLB 30/10......33.3%
NBA 30/16......53.3%
NHL 30/16......53.3%
FBS 128/4......3.1%

And there ain't no committee deciding who is in and who is out based on floating criteria.
I am no Penn State fan at all but when they get snubbed today they have some reason to be upset. Losing to an eventual 8-4 Pitt team the second game of the season somehow trumps winning the Big 10 and winning head to head against Ohio State who will get in. I am NOT saying that the committee should vote PSU ahead of OSU I am saying the whole concept of voting who is in and out is a joke. Just go back to the good old days when the AP and UPI/USA Today just voted after the bowl games.
What drives me nuts is how many people think the system just needs a tweak....like 4 more teams.
What needs to happen is the FBS needs to be 32 teams not 128. And they need to be in divisions where winning your division gets you in.
Then divide the rest of 128 teams in to more "championship" categories so a 13-0 team like WMU actually plays for something real.
I have no sympathy for Penn State. That place should have been bulldozed to the ground after the Sandusky scandal and the aftermath.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:05 am

Matt wrote:
craig11152 wrote:This is why college football crowning a "champion" is a joke. There are 128 teams in the FBS and a committee is going to pick 4 to play for a mythical title. If we look at real championship formats by number of teams in league and number in playoffs...

NFL 32/12......37.7%
MLB 30/10......33.3%
NBA 30/16......53.3%
NHL 30/16......53.3%
FBS 128/4......3.1%

And there ain't no committee deciding who is in and who is out based on floating criteria.
I am no Penn State fan at all but when they get snubbed today they have some reason to be upset. Losing to an eventual 8-4 Pitt team the second game of the season somehow trumps winning the Big 10 and winning head to head against Ohio State who will get in. I am NOT saying that the committee should vote PSU ahead of OSU I am saying the whole concept of voting who is in and out is a joke. Just go back to the good old days when the AP and UPI/USA Today just voted after the bowl games.
What drives me nuts is how many people think the system just needs a tweak....like 4 more teams.
What needs to happen is the FBS needs to be 32 teams not 128. And they need to be in divisions where winning your division gets you in.
Then divide the rest of 128 teams in to more "championship" categories so a 13-0 team like WMU actually plays for something real.
I have no sympathy for Penn State. That place should have been bulldozed to the ground after the Sandusky scandal and the aftermath.
I'm with Craig...

Don't penalize the folks who are there trying to do the right thing and the kids trying to win ok?

Howard Jones

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 am

Well said Craig.

I also share Matt's distaste for PSU, but can recognize that the current players and coaches played no role in the Sandusky/Paterno criminal enterprise. Good for them overcoming all that and becoming winners.

Things can only get better

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 pm

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio State
4 Washington
5 Penn State
6 Michigan

Penn state got screwed.

Howard Jones

Michigan v. Ohio State

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 pm

NS8401 wrote:1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Ohio State
4 Washington
5 Penn State
6 Michigan

Penn state got screwed.
Nope. Losses matter the most. Penn St had 2, everyone above them had 0 or 1.

Let me amend that. They didn't get screwed with the way the CFP is set up right now. I don't agree with the current setup - in an ideal world Ohio St wouldn't have been eligible to get in because they didn't win their conference.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Howard Jones wrote: Nope. Losses matter the most. Penn St had 2, everyone above them had 0 or 1.
Evidently "strength of schedule" matters most, then losses. Otherwise there is no explaining #13

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Howard Jones wrote:
2 Clemson
3 Ohio State
4 Washington
5 Penn State
6 Michigan

Penn state got screwed.

Let me amend that. They didn't get screwed with the way the CFP is set up right now. I don't agree with the current setup - in an ideal world Ohio St wouldn't have been eligible to get in because they didn't win their conference.
I was getting after Ohio State being in Over Penn State despite a head to head win and Big 10 title...

Howard Jones

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:44 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Howard Jones wrote:
2 Clemson
3 Ohio State
4 Washington
5 Penn State
6 Michigan

Penn state got screwed.

I was getting after Ohio State being in Over Penn State despite a head to head win and Big 10 title...

Yep. You make more sense than the committee. But we don't get to pick how they make their (dumb) decisions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic