Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan vs Ohio State 2018

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
JackAttack FM

Michigan vs Ohio State 2018

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:42 am

OK, since the other surviving U-M vs OSU topic is 2 years old I think we need a fresh one.

Based on team W-L records this is a hard one to pick this year.
OSU has not had really any impressive wins or blow-outs
The only U-M win that is impressive to me is Northwestern.
And OSU's margin of victories with teams like Maryland, Nebraska and Penn State were too close.

Out of each team's loss I think U-M's loss to Notre Dame is better then OSU's loss to Purdue.

That being said this Saturday's game is in Columbus and the Buckeyes usually have U-M's number there.

craig11152

Re: Michigan vs Ohio State 2018

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:23 am

There is no question Michigan's loss was a "better" loss but I'm not sure how much that matters.
As a Michigan fan I am very apprehensive about Saturday. It says a ton about Ohio State when an "off year" is still 10-1 and the "off" is not winning big enough.
I will say this is the first time in awhile I've felt a win wasn't a reach. I think we can win and if we do it won't be an upset. But I've had my share of disappointment over the years since I started paying attention in 1969.
At least the Brandon/Hoke/Rodriguez nightmare is in the rear view mirror.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:05 am

Michigan is favored by 5 on the road, so they're really a TD favorite. Over/under is 56, so Vegas has this something like Michigan 31-26.

On a side note, the MSU/Rutgers line is an interesting one - MSU favored by 27.5 with an o/u of only 36.5. That means Vegas is picking Rutgers to score a measly 4-5 points in that one.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:01 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:23 am
There is no question Michigan's loss was a "better" loss but I'm not sure how much that matters.
As a Michigan fan I am very apprehensive about Saturday. It says a ton about Ohio State when an "off year" is still 10-1 and the "off" is not winning big enough.
I will say this is the first time in awhile I've felt a win wasn't a reach. I think we can win and if we do it won't be an upset. But I've had my share of disappointment over the years since I started paying attention in 1969.
At least the Brandon/Hoke/Rodriguez nightmare is in the rear view mirror.
Remember that the 10-3 Hoke team his first year was actually a mostly Rich Rod team... Rodriguez got shafted for not being a “Michigan man (TM)” more or less... then they installed a “Michigan man (TM)”... then it all went to hell... so Rodriguez gets a worse rap then he deserves...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 am

Rodriguez was fired because he didn't get results. He was on a shorter leash because he wasn't a Michigan man. A term that has morphed into to something other than it's original meaning.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:38 am
Rodriguez was fired because he didn't get results. He was on a shorter leash because he wasn't a Michigan man. A term that has morphed into to something other than it's original meaning.
He didn’t exactly get left a rose when Carr retired either... nobody could make the 2008 or 2009 teams magically win 10 games or anything... they were both pretty devoid of talent...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am

Lloyds recruiting per Rivals
2004 #5
2005 #6
2006 #13
2007 #12
I would say there was talent. But maybe it wasn't developed to its max. That is something I felt about Lloyd for years. His recruiting rankings didn't always show on the field.
One can counter that recruiting rankings are not an exact science but year in and year out teams like Alabama seem to suggest recruiting rankings are a reasonable barometer.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Speaking of bad recruiting classes, Hoke's last two classes had many busts, but did have some key contributors (some of which are fifth-year seniors on the current Michigan team)

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:42 pm

I just want Michigan to win. On paper, they should win easily, but it's been uneven for so many years that I don't even know how to weigh the mental piece. This may be Urban's last game at the toilet seat, so it would be nice to send home out a loser. The man does not look well.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:35 pm

I can't do it. I've been looking forward to this game, yet the thought of watching it churns my stomach. It would really be the centerpiece of a great season, and I KNOW Michigan has it in them to do it. But after last week, I worry. Michigan losing this game would ruin so much that I may just have to wait until it's over to check the score. We have won so many needed games and some in convincing fashion. I'd hate for it to all fall apart against ohio. It's just been going too well this year.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Rough half... nice to come back at the end but we were getting murdered...

That color guy on the T.V. Broadcast was laying on the Ohio State bias a little thick towards the end of the half... Michigan is being played as an underdog in the coverage on FOX it seems...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:42 pm
I just want Michigan to win. On paper, they should win easily, but it's been uneven for so many years that I don't even know how to weigh the mental piece. This may be Urban's last game at the toilet seat, so it would be nice to send home out a loser. The man does not look well.
On paper it’s a close game... why would you expect otherwise from “The Game”... Michigan really isn’t THAT much better than Ohio State... winning easily is easily the most laughable thing you’ve said in a while...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:57 pm

“Will the team that was pretending to be good please head to the showers now... you suck”...

We left our game in Ann Arbor...

Edit: With a quarter to go it’s looking bleak...
Last edited by Deleted User 8570 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:14 pm

This game is making me sick to my stomach.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

I will consider this season a gigantic disappointment unless Michigan's wins its bowl game. If they can do that, then I'll only consider this season a medium disappointment. I wanted a Big Ten championship extremely badly!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm

BTW, OSU just scored another touchdown. On roughly a 75 yard run no less. Literally happened less than 10 seconds after I turned the TV back on.

At least the basketball team is off to a strong start. I have much more faith in the basketball program right now than I do the football program.

Let's face it - there were plenty of chinks in Michigan's armor revealed last week. No doubt Meyer's coaching staff reviewed the footage from that game very closely. OSU picked up Indiana's effective defensive strategy. Combine that with OSU's stout offense - and you have a recipe for disaster.

Also, as soon as Higdon took the bait some asshole reporter fed him ("will you guarantee a win?"), I had a feeling Michigan might be screwed. And let's face it - OSU was already on an emotional high coming into this game after that dramatic OT win at Maryland last week.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic