All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Anybody want a Porcello?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Taliano

Anybody want a Porcello?

Post by Taliano » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:22 am

Truth is, i've never liked this guy. So far he has won just enough to be considered by the "So-Called Experts" as a decent 3rd-4th starter. It's bad enough Leland keeps using Mud Hens "Major League Debuts" in key games and key situations, but where is Dombrowski these days? If anyone screams "injuries" no one should listen!!! This underachieving has been happening since Mid-April. I'm also tired of Boesch. he'll go 2-for-3 one night then go oh-for-19 in a four game series. Time for a gut check....and a short enema! (sorry about the rambling.....damn it's hard to watch...when is the 1996 Rose Bowl rerun on BTN on anyway?...what?)

Neckbeard

Re: Anybody want a Porcello?

Post by Neckbeard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah, I am sick of Leyland's shit with plugging a guy into a role he is likely not ready for. It doesn't work out most the time. But what about our minor league talent as a whole? They do not know how to scout or draft.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Who gives a shit? Baseball is a waste of time. The Tigers ought to unload some of the higher salaries so Ilitch has more money to spend on his real team. I would trade/waive Verlander, Cabrera, and Fielder.

S.Farley

Post by S.Farley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:02 pm

You're an idiot. Baseball is America's national pastime. Hockey doesn't even show up on the radar and furthermore hockey has a salary cap. Waive Verlander. Fuck you.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Matt wrote:Who gives a shit? Baseball is a waste of time. The Tigers ought to unload some of the higher salaries so Ilitch has more money to spend on his real team. I would trade/waive Verlander, Cabrera, and Fielder.
You show the business sense of the fools who got took by the Facebook IPO in this comment. The Tigers were the 21st most valuable team in baseball and the Red Wings were the 4th most valuable team in hockey in 2011. The Tigers have significantly more room to grow in the market in which they compete than the Red Wings. The Tigers are currently valued at $385mil and the Red Wings are currently valued at $336mil, however the Wings are in the black and the Tigers are in the red. Hockey is also determined to be growing as a whole. If the Wings simply maintain their share of the market, they then have the resources to grow the Tigers. If you think cutting that cutting the main attractions is the road to increasing the value of the Tigers, I dunno what to tell you. Further, where do you want them to spend their money? They're at 91% of the salary cap now. The Tigers have a H*** payroll, however, there is much greater inefficient use of these dollars than Cabrera, Fielder and Verlander. Well, maybe an argument can be made for Fielder being a waste, hoever not a good one...

My God... I can stomach arguments for trading or waiving anyone if it will make them better, but you fail to understand that Mike is a business man and while these teams are "toys", they are also businesses.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/33/bas ... _land.html

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nhl-salaries.php

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Mission accomplished.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Might I ask what your mission is?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I wanted to see if I could get an over the top reaction.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:27 pm

I wouldn't consider my reaction over the top. I just consider you an idiot without the integrity to accept that you are an idiot. The facts got pointed out to you, you have no leg to stand on, so you have to lie because you cannot accept the whole 10 people who may read this will see you as the idiot you are. Congratulations, Matt. We have learned you are a man without intelligence and without integrity. We are now on the road to complete self-awareness. Don't give up now, your rabbit fail goes much, much deeper than this silliness, I'd put money on that.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 am

S.Farley wrote:You're an idiot. Baseball is America's national pastime. Hockey doesn't even show up on the radar and furthermore hockey has a salary cap. Waive Verlander. Fuck you.
Apparently you were unable to have someone read the above quoted section to you, neckbeard. That was over the top. You have to understand, the Tigers are a non-entity to me. I wouldn't give a shit if they packed up and left town tonight. What I do care about is when they give a big contract that WILL have diminishing returns and then they sit on cap space at the trade deadline for the Wings. Now if the Wings end up with Parise and Suter, I will be less concerned.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Matt wrote:
S.Farley wrote:You're an idiot. Baseball is America's national pastime. Hockey doesn't even show up on the radar and furthermore hockey has a salary cap. Waive Verlander. Fuck you.
Apparently you were unable to have someone read the above quoted section to you, neckbeard. That was over the top. You have to understand, the Tigers are a non-entity to me. I wouldn't give a shit if they packed up and left town tonight. What I do care about is when they give a big contract that WILL have diminishing returns and then they sit on cap space at the trade deadline for the Wings. Now if the Wings end up with Parise and Suter, I will be less concerned.
I think S.Farley is well within the bounds of reason here.

You are an idiot.

Baseball is America's pastime.

If you don't live in Detroit, in America, hockey doesn't register.

Hockey has a salary cap.

Anyone who thinks waiving one of the best pitchers of a generation is a good idea deserves a good old fashioned "fuck you" for not understanding that they pay their own salary in what they bring in.

No one cares if baseball is a non-entity to you, you don't know what you're talking about and have no business sense. The Tigers have significant room to grow in the market. They are 25th in average ticket price around the MLB, whereas the Wings are 14th. ESPN attendance and capacity figures put the Tigers at 13th in baseball last year in attendance and project 79.1% attendance-to-capacity. The Wings however are 4th with over 100% capacity. Investing in the Red Wings would be an inefficient use of resources in comparison to the Tigers. Even with the troubles the team has had so far this season, they have increased their attendance-to-capacity from 79.1% last year to 87.3% this year. If we attribute this 8.2% bump to Prince Fielder and we use the average 10.93% inflation of ticket prices throughout the lifespan of his contract, we see that the bump in ticket sales can be determined as matching 2/3 of his contract. This doesn't take into consideration things such as merchandising and the expected success he will contribute to and the bump in ticket sales and added premium on ticket prices from higher demand for an overall more successful team. You can do the math on that one.

http://seatgeek.com/hockey-nhl-ticket-prices

http://seatgeek.com/baseball-mlb-ticket-prices/

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Taliano

Post by Taliano » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 am

Well said Neckbeard.....I found years ago that you can't argue with Hockey Fans.....fact is that hockey is a thorn in NBC's side. Story placement of hockey news is always after everything else local or network, exception, Cup finals. It's like Tennis fans who would argue that the Today Show should have been bumped for the French Open Men's continuation of play....hopefully after the apparant rip-off of Boxing's latest mistake, those fans will learn too, don't pay for a sporting event that is fixed and run by thugs!...but I doubt it.....

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah, I love hockey, but facts are facts. Some people just don't like numbers.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 pm

You know, it's really hard for me to cheer against the Tigers, but I do bleed Cubbie blue. Porcello, for the record, doesn't look bad right now... at least from my chair...

Looking for a broom at the moment. Haven't seen one all year... yet.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

format this

Post by format this » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Still can't find the broom. Probably won't find the broom.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 am

Whenever you resort to saying "fuck you", you have lost the argument. The Tigers "room to grow" argument is laughable at best. They've been a competitive team for the last seven seasons and they still don't come close to filling Comerica regularly. There aren't hoards of people waiting to jump on the bandwagon. What you see is what you get. You attacked my integrity because you disagree with my opinion. That's pathetic and wrong.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Matt wrote:Whenever you resort to saying "fuck you", you have lost the argument.
You go from "looking for reaction" to "I win by default". Make up your mind, idiot... Either way you look like comlete idiot here to any of the 5 people who visit this board.
Matt wrote:The Tigers "room to grow" argument is laughable at best. They've been a competitive team for the last seven seasons and they still don't come close to filling Comerica regularly.
I posted places to pull raw data concerning ticket prices and sales. Pull up Win-Loss by year and run a correlation. Let me know what you come up with. I don't do homework for idiots on the internet.
Matt wrote:There aren't hoards of people waiting to jump on the bandwagon. What you see is what you get. You attacked my integrity because you disagree with my opinion. That's pathetic and wrong.
Well you change your reasoning for even being in this discussion more than Lindsay Lohan changes panties, I would say you have little integrity, how is that wrong? ou can't even keep a position in the same post...

Devastation

Post by Devastation » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Rumors are going around that Tigers may make a run at Carlos Quentin and/or Ryan Dempster. Either way, gotta keep Berry because he brings a new dimension to the team.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:14 pm

I like that idea at the right price. Porcello and Boesch for Dempster if they'll do it. I would like to hang onto Turner, but if they gotta lose him... Castellano could be extremely valuable in the future, but if they're dedicated to keeping Cabrera at 3rd, might as well make use of him and trade him. Still... Fat boy sucks at 1st, but what are you gonna do?

Taliano

Post by Taliano » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:14 am

Dempster wouldn't be bad...I like Smardja (sp) too. Yes, Berry is a keeper....toss in Raburn and a Tom Timmerman autograph for him!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic