All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

2018 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: 2018 Detroit Tigers

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:08 am

Wow, shut out two games in a row. :rolleyes Now THIS is the team we were expecting this season. :lol:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue May 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Well, the injuries are starting to come in bunches -- Miggy, Norris, Wilson, and now Zimmermann -- and the young starters are coming back down to Earth. The fact we'll be battling for second place in the worst division in MLB won't be a consolation. :lol:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 pm

The AL Central sucks. OH MAN DOES IT SUCK. Every single team is under .500

Combined record of 68-101.

Is this the worst division of all-time?

Tigers are only 2 games out of first!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am

Add Leonys Martin to the list of wounded. :rolleyes (jeesh!)
Hopefully Mahtook, hitting well of late in Toledo, can do what he did for us last season when he surprised everyone with his consistency.

- Sydney J. Harris

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am
Hopefully Mahtook, hitting well of late in Toledo, can do what he did for us last season when he surprised everyone with his consistency.
Had no idea Mahtook was in Toledo. The other day I was wondering where he was cause I hadn't seen him in a game.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri May 11, 2018 6:11 am

SoupySez wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am
Had no idea Mahtook was in Toledo. The other day I was wondering where he was cause I hadn't seen him in a game.
He came north out of spring training as the everyday leftfielder, but looked lost at the plate in the early going. He was sent down to Toledo with the promise he'd be called back up once he regained his plate mojo and if needed on account of injury. His first few weeks in Toledo saw an extension of his early season plate woes, but apparently he found and repaired a hitch in his swing. He was hitting well over .300 in the several games before being recalled.
I'm wondering if it wasn't just the lousy weather in the early going. He has also admitted to being a notoriously slow starter...a la Ryan Raburn.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm

And now Candelario is out for ten days...and we're still only three games out of first! :eek Sweep the Indians and we're on top of the Central. :D

- Sydney J. Harris

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm
And now Candelario is out for ten days...and we're still only three games out of first! :eek Sweep the Indians and we're on top of the Central. :D
They actually aren’t nearly as bad as I would have guessed...

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 am

NS8401 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am
moldyoldie wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm
They actually aren’t nearly as bad as I would have guessed...
What a pleasure it is to FINALLY see them taking the extra base on a base hit and playing a little hit-and-run -- manufacturing runs instead of always playing for the big inning.

What hole did this Niko Goodrum pop out of? :eek :D

- Sydney J. Harris

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Goodrum is a former Twins second-round draft pick who had a lingering progression in the minors, after being brought into pro ball out of high school. He had managed one hit with Minnesota last year, was outrighted to the minors, took free agency and signed with the Detroit organization right after Thanksgiving, last year. Ron Gardenhire was around Minnesota for the first five years of Goodrum's minor league career.

A little speed, a little pop and some familiarity lead to Detroit getting a serviceable player.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 am
What hole did this Niko Goodrum pop out of? :eek :D
Trophyhead wrote:Goodrum is a former Twins second-round draft pick who had a lingering progression in the minors, after being brought into pro ball out of high school. He had managed one hit with Minnesota last year, was outrighted to the minors, took free agency and signed with the Detroit organization right after Thanksgiving, last year. Ron Gardenhire was around Minnesota for the first five years of Goodrum's minor league career.

A little speed, a little pop and some familiarity lead to Detroit getting a serviceable player.
The question was rhetorical, but thanks for the bio anyway. :blink

Well, come-from-behind games seem to be this team's forte...whether fer us or agin' us. Fulmer has been pitching in some bad luck, had a couple rough outings, but was cruising along last night till the seventh inning. "Those walks will always come back to haunt you!" :x Considering the Tigers are miraculously in the hunt for the AL Central lead, I'm wondering if Avila will be a seller at the trade deadline as most pundits seem to suggest. There are still a couple months for reality to set in.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Yippee for the Rally Goose. :)
(Who knew geese were good for something more than spreading feces all over the place?!?!)

Plenty of games coming up this month against Cleveland, including a 3-game series at CoPa next weekend.

A make-up double header against the Yankees happens Monday. Then we play the Red Sox for three games - at Fenway. Would be nice to see Detroit not lose much ground vis-a-vis Cleveland between now and Friday, but I have a feeling that ain't gonna happen. If the Tigers win 2 out of 5 against the Yankees and Sox, I'll be content. 3 out of 5 - and I'll be thrilled.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm
What's good for the goose, is good for the Gardenhire.

~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm

They’ve played well against teams below .500 and given that division, they’ll have plenty of opportunities with teams below .500. Hopefully they can do well in this 8 game stretch against playoff contenders- they split the doubleheader with NYY- if they can win 3-4 games against Boston and Cleveland, I’ll be pretty happy.

Jacques Strap

Post by Jacques Strap » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm
What's good for the goose, is good for the Gardenhire.

:rollin

You don't have to be a good sport, to be a mad one.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 am

Aaaaaaannnnndddd...down goes Miggy. As much as I’ve enjoyed Miggy’s tenure in Detroit (at least the early part of it), this is exhibit A on why I hate long-term deals, especially when the deal covers after the age of 30.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 am
Aaaaaaannnnndddd...down goes Miggy. As much as I’ve enjoyed Miggy’s tenure in Detroit (at least the early part of it), this is exhibit A on why I hate long-term deals, especially when the deal covers after the age of 30.
I'm not happy to see Miggy go down again, but perhaps it's a blessing as it may accelerate the rebuilding process. Goodness, how many times can you watch a former Triple Crown winner hitting soft knubbers to shortstop? It was sad and painful to watch! I couldn't care less about his contract (it's not my money) unless it somehow prolongs or nullifies a successful rebuild.

- Sydney J. Harris

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 am
I'm not happy to see Miggy go down again, but perhaps it's a blessing as it may accelerate the rebuilding process. Goodness, how many times can you watch a former Triple Crown winner hitting soft knubbers to shortstop? It was sad and painful to watch! I couldn't care less about his contract (it's not my money) unless it somehow prolongs or nullifies a successful rebuild.
At least Victor's done after this year

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm

I've come to view that aging superstars with long term contracts they can no longer live up to are getting rewarded for past performance rather than current expectations. Looking at it like that I no longer ring my hands about "earning their money"
It is a concern that it ties up money. Granted baseball doesn't have a salary cap but you can bet every owner has one in his head.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I agree with a good chunk of what Moldy wrote.

Cabrera is a has-been, he's been battling physical ailments for several years (which only seem to have gotten worse with time), and of course, he has a bunch of stuff to deal with (of his own doing) in his personal life, too.

Contrary to what many have written in the sports pages, I think Cabrera's absence will be a blessing in disguise for this team.

His oWAR was a respectable(but certainly not special) 0.7 and his dWAR was an underwhelming -0.5 (admittedly, that number has been worse in many of his prior seasons, but his oWAR was exponentially better in nearly all of those prior seasons). His offensive productivity is a far cry from what it was during his prime years.

My gut feeling is Cabrera lacks rapport with many of his teammates.

Honestly, I wish Cabrera would retire. He'd be doing the team a gigantic favor! However, I cannot see that happening anytime soon, unless he is physically unable to return. He loves the game too much.

As for the contract, hindsight is 20-20. Had Cabrera led the team to a world championship, it would've been well worth the money. Now, it just looks silly.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic