All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Tigers hire Gardenhire as next manager

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Tigers hire Gardenhire as next manager

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Terrible move. There's a reason he's not been a skipper since 2014.

Al Avila is a moron. He may be a worse GM than Ken Holland.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

originalzzmfmjock

Re: Tigers hire Gardenhire as next manager

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 pm

As a long time Detroit Tiger fan, I'm happy that they have hired Ron Gardenhire. (Damned near anything's got to be better than what we had in the managers office in Detroit the past 4 years) Yes, his resume is devoid of playoff wins, but for the most part he had a team in Minnesota that really had no business being in the playoffs at all. He has the same kind of team in Detroit. Little or no expectations and he always seemed to get the most out of teams with no expectations. And of course there's nothing us hacks on the buzzboard can do about it anyway, so, let's give the guy a chance. After all in recent history there have been several managerial/coaching hires that the general public thought were "terrible moves". Three that come to mind are Joe Torre hired as Yankees manager, Marv Levy hired as Coach of the Buffalo Bills and Bill Belichek (sp) as coach of the New England Patriots. All thought of at the time as poor decisions.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Gardenhire's methods are stuck in the 1990's. Also, for someone his age, he looks terrible. Cannot help but question his physical health.
but for the most part he had a team in Minnesota that really had no business being in the playoffs at all.
Why do you say that?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:39 pm
Gardenhire's methods are stuck in the 1990's. Also, for someone his age, he looks terrible. Cannot help but question his physical health.
but for the most part he had a team in Minnesota that really had no business being in the playoffs at all.
Why do you say that?
Leyland wasn’t exactly an image of health either...

format this

Post by format this » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:39 am

Considering the current state of the Tigers, Gardenhire is an excellent hire. No one is going to fix this team overnight... they will be a train wreck for at least a year, if not two. Ron took the Twinkies to the heights, but was there through the down times. Give him a chance... hell, he may pull off a 2019 miracle.

While I’m on the box... as far as Leyland goes, he knew what he was doing (name a Tigers manager after him to make it to the WS)... plus he pulled a WBC championship. He was my 2nd choice to replace Ausmus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 am

Knew what he was doing??? He STUNK at crafting batting orders, didn't use pinch hitters when warranted in tight late game situations, and was stupid enough to pitch to Big Papi in a bases loaded situation with two outs where the next batter was a scrub.

Now, all that said, Gardenhire or whomever isn't going to transform a shit sandwich into gold. Still, thinking longer term, his hire is going to keep the Tigers in the dark ages (for now) when it comes to advanced analytics.

Be ready for no defensive shifts, stubborn habits, sac bunting, etc. BARF!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 am

I will say, however, that I prefer Gardenhire to Ausmus. That is not saying much. Only Fredi Gonzales (sp?) would've been a downgrade.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 am

I hope he has the patience of Ralph Houk who was hired in a similar situation, he's gonna need it.

If Gardenhire can do for this team what he did with the Twinkies -- manufacture runs, play sound defense, take the extra base, etc. -- I'll be content. The Tigers have supposedly enhanced their analytics department and it will be at the service of the manager. There's nothing to say an old dog can't learn new tricks.

Top of mind concerns heading into next season:
-Miggy has to get back up to speed
-The young starters have to pitch deeper into games
-Zimmermann has to start earning his pay
-Will Fulmer be 100%?

It's still up in the air if V-Mart, Kinsler, and Iglesias will be on the roster to start the season.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

He's always looked older than his age, but I noticed in more recent photos he looked even more aged.

I now know why.

He was treated for prostate cancer about a year ago.

I hope he is in permanent, full remission. Not my pick for manager (understatement), but by all accounts he is a class act and I wish him nothing but the absolute best in terms of health.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Some of what I've been reading suggests that he was the best option out there on the open market. Who would you have preferred?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Alex Cora. Gabe Kapler. Dave Martinez.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am

Both teams in this year's WS are among the biggest believers in advanced analytics in the game today. Just sayin'.

lustrousladdie1953

Post by lustrousladdie1953 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am

If you think Gardenhire (who whipped prostate cancer) looks old for 60,look at temporarily hors de combat pitching coach Chris Bosio.Boy turned 55 Apr. 3 (my younger nephew's 33rd birthday),but looks 70.As my father would have said about Gardenhire and Bosio,"If they're 60 and 55,repectively,they must have had some hard using!!!!!"

lustrousladdie1953

Post by lustrousladdie1953 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 am

Speaking of the first-year Tigers bench boss,since they now have utility man Niko Goodrum,they've got two dudes called "Gardy" and "Goody." Gardy and Goody????Sounds like a vaudeville comedy act.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic