All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Go Pistons!!! :)

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Go Pistons!!! :)

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Griffin's ability (or inability) to stay healthy will have a big bearing on how the rest of the season unfolds.

You make some terrific points in your first paragraph; nicely done! :blink

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 am
The biggest issue for this team at present is fan apathy. Even playing in a brand spanking new arena, the Pistons are 25th in the league in attendance out of 30 teams. I was always dubious about their move downtown since I well remember the crowds of two or three thousand at 10,000+ capacity Cobo Arena. My buddies and I went to a lot of games since it was the easiest ticket in town. (But oh my, how that place rocked with a full house when the likes of Chamberlain or Abdul-Jabbar made an appearance!) With Bill Davidson's purchase of the team eventually came better front office management (re: Jack McCloskey), coaching, and player personnel decisions. Attendance skyrocketed with Davidson's moving the team to the suburbs and winning teams subsequently followed. Granted, the Silverdome was an awful basketball venue unless you had the right seats, but the Palace was perfectly suitable.

I have to believe the trade for Griffin is a positive as long as he stays healthy and helps the team regenerate some lost cachet among area sports fans. It'll be difficult, but winning can cure a lot of what ails ya.
I'm going to call bullshit on the bolded point. Downtown is a lot different today than it was when the Pistons left. Nobody is scared of going downtown anymore. The Lions haven't had any trouble with attendance since they moved downtown and they've been awful for most of their existence, especially since they've been at Ford Field. Basketball is a clear #4 in this town. The one point I concede is if they win, fans will come. The team is dealing with apathy from Joe Dumars getting lucky and building a solid team for 7 years and then tearing it down with awful personnel moves and horrible coaching hires.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 am
Downtown is a lot different today than it was when the Pistons left. Nobody is scared of going downtown anymore.
I've always believed any fear was misplaced and certainly hope you're right, Matt. Here's hoping it stays that way.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
I have to believe the trade for Griffin is a positive as long as he stays healthy and helps the team regenerate some lost cachet among area sports fans. It'll be difficult, but winning can cure a lot of what ails ya.
Well let the curing begin - they're 2-0 with Griffin having just beat Miami. Not bad after having just lost 8 straight.

Now only 1/2 game out of the playoffs.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:15 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Well let the curing begin - they're 2-0 with Griffin having just beat Miami. Not bad after having just lost 8 straight.

Now only 1/2 game out of the playoffs.
They’ll make it I think provided he stays healthy...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Pistons are about to lose to the Hawks, one of the worst teams in the league. On defense, the Pistons f*cking stink.

Absolutely unacceptable!!!

We're gonna miss the playoffs (I predict), and Van Gundy threw away our lottery pick. Great.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm
We're gonna miss the playoffs (I predict), and Van Gundy threw away our lottery pick. Great.
Though the odds of this exception coming into being make it highly unlikely, the first-rounder traded to the Clippers is top-4 protected, and if not conveyed in 2018, it's top-4 protected in 2019 as well. This at least assuaged my apprehensions a bit.

I can't believe we're hurling up threes to the extent we are, especially with the lead. Whatever happened to working the shot clock for a high percentage shot? Even as good a passer as he's shown, Griffin needs to post up more down low and get to the line.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:18 am

Fire Van Gundy!!!!

This team is an absolute dumpster fire.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:18 am
Fire Van Gundy!!!!

This team is an absolute dumpster fire.
They are missing one of their best players...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Jackson is nothing special. He's better than Ish...true.

Still no excuse to have such a horrendous winning percentage over the past 30 to 35 games.

This team plays pathetic defense.

No updates on Jackson's status lately. The org was selling us a line of bullshit. That guy is going to be plagued by frequent injuries the rest of his career.

Would've been nice to have a guaranteed 1st round pick with which to draft a PG. This team is gonna suck for years. (Just like the past eight or nine years.)

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:28 pm
Jackson is nothing special. He's better than Ish...true.

Still no excuse to have such a horrendous winning percentage over the past 30 to 35 games.

This team plays pathetic defense.

No updates on Jackson's status lately. The org was selling us a line of bullshit. That guy is going to be plagued by frequent injuries the rest of his career.

Would've been nice to have a guaranteed 1st round pick with which to draft a PG. This team is gonna suck for years. (Just like the past eight or nine years.)
They are talking mid-March so there is your update. He’s worth 15 a game... that’s plenty enough to swing a game....

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm

You're oversimplifying the analysis. I wonder if there is a WAR-type stat for NBA basketball?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm
You're oversimplifying the analysis. I wonder if there is a WAR-type stat for NBA basketball?
No and I don’t think I’m oversimplifying at all... in close games they’ve lost without him any points he gave them would have swung it. You don’t need to drag out an abicus to figure that out.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Since the holidays, I counted six close losses that perhaps the Pistons would've won had Jackson been active. You're right; that's a significant number. If we win four of those games, we're a #7 or #8 seed right now. Instead, Pistons are 3 games out of the #8 spot.

That said, within the last few weeks, the Pistons have had ugly losses to the Clippers, Pelicans and Bobcats - and a humiliating loss to the Raptors. No shock at all that they lost to Toronto, but cripes, the Pistons were down 30+ points for much of the game.

In losses over the past couple months, I see far too many games where the Pistons give up 110 points +. The effort is lacking. Team seems undermotivated on D.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 am

Boy, this crap is starting to get old in a hurry. :x :barf

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Yeah. Nice 31 point defeat! :rolleyes

Just remember, Donovan Mitchell could've been a Piston.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am

On the bright side, did you ever think you'd see Drummond shooting over 60% from the line? :shock: :razz

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 am

9 games under .500. Probably no first round pick. FIRE VAN GUNDY NOW!!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 am
...Probably no first round pick....
Trades can always happen in the off-season leading up to the draft.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

Hmm, maybe Jackson is something of a difference maker, eh? At least we're beating teams beneath us. The Wizards on Thursday night should be a good test.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic