Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 March Madness

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
craig11152

Re: 2019 March Madness

Post by craig11152 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:10 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 am
The Duke "hype" was predicated on a bunch of entering freshmen considered to be the greatest recruiting class since the days of UM's Fab Five and assumed to be "one-and-done", bound for the top ten in the next NBA draft. Still, they are just freshmen! I think MSU's maturity and poise on the court were certainly determining factors in eking out a one-point victory.
Hype is always predicated on something so whats your point?
The main reason I thought the Duke hype was overrated was because they were so young.
But my thoughts aside they still got the #1 overall seed, a ton of talking heads picked them to win it all and they all knew the same thing you and I did.
If everybody stayed 4 years the hype machine would have said Duke would win 4 in a row.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:16 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:10 am
moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 am
The Duke "hype" was predicated on a bunch of entering freshmen considered to be the greatest recruiting class since the days of UM's Fab Five and assumed to be "one-and-done", bound for the top ten in the next NBA draft. Still, they are just freshmen! I think MSU's maturity and poise on the court were certainly determining factors in eking out a one-point victory.
Hype is always predicated on something so whats your point?
The main reason I thought the Duke hype was overrated was because they were so young.
But my thoughts aside they still got the #1 overall seed, a ton of talking heads picked them to win it all and they all knew the same thing you and I did.
If everybody stayed 4 years the hype machine would have said Duke would win 4 in a row.
I'm not trying to make a point, only state a fact as I perceive it. You said you're not buying the Zion and Duke hype as if it were some kind of overstatement; I'm saying the hype was based on something extraordinary, whether or not it was overstated. If Zion indeed proves to be the next LeBron, in hindsight the hype would have been warranted. I'm also saying Duke's lack of overwhelming success in this year's tournament can possibly be attributed to their youth and lack of major tournament experience, something on which we apparently agree. "Hype" is just that, an amorphous amalgamation of punditry signifying very little. I give it credence simply because I'm a fan. In fact, I love it when the so-called experts and pundits are mostly proved wrong, as was apparently the case here.

Should Duke have been a #1 overall seed? Perhaps the selection committee will reassess their criteria and not buy into so much "hype". It should be noted, however, that a lot of #2s and #3s were on the money; there were no Cinderellas in this bunch. #2 seed UM and #1 seed North Carolina were probably the only major disappointments in their final games as both were trounced.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:50 pm

Texas Tech Red Raiders both beat the Wolverines & the Spartans & now head into their very first NCAA Championship against Virginia Monday night.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am

Sparty's inside game was rendered practically non-existent! I kept screaming, "TAKE IT TO THE HOLE!" It looked as if our bigs were genuinely intimidated. When we were down by double-digits I thought it was all over, then Owens went out with the turned ankle and we came back. Here's where I thought the team's toughness and maturity would put us over the top, but alas....

I'm looking forward to Tech versus Virginia; it promises to be another low-scoring knock-down drag-out defensive battle.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Auburn got screwed.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:13 pm
Auburn got screwed.
...but so did Barkley. :twisted:

- Sydney J. Harris

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:25 am

Virginia beat Texas Tech in overtime 85 - 77. What a game though!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 am

matt1 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:25 am
Virginia beat Texas Tech in overtime 85 - 77. What a game though!!
Glad I stayed up to watch it. :smokin (3-2 after five minutes! :eek )

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic