(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Go Pistons!!! :)

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Go Pistons!!! :)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Phenomenal win at Oracle Arena against the defending champs!!!

On night two of a back-to-back no less!

I hope they keep it going.

I've been watching the Pistons and World Series all evening. Spent all of 30 seconds watching the sad sack Lions.

This baseball game has the makings of an instant classic, btw.
Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

Matt

Re: Go Pistons!!! :)

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 am

Lazy journalism: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... 107393976/
A combination of factors, including the performances of the two teams and trends in sport, are making the inauguration of the new arena appear like a bit of a bust.
This was published on Monday. Here is another article about the Pistons published the same day as the lazy Detroit News article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... y-be-good/
Given all that, these Pistons might have the most staying power of any early surprise team. Ten games in is still pretty early in the season, but we learn a lot about basketball teams in a short amount of time. Since the league last expanded in 2004, teams that start the season 7-3 tend to go on to win about 50 times per 82 games. And even those who finished below .500 the previous year — like Detroit did last season — ended up winning roughly 45 games on average.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Good find; thanks for posting that.
Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Another GIGANTIC win on the road for the Pistons!!!

A terrific 4th quarter fueled the Pistons to a 10 point victory in Boston tonight. That's right -- IN Boston! Pistons played the Celtics tough all night, and went to the locker room at halftime with the lead. After three, the game was tied up at 86 a piece. Marcus Smart had a phenomenal game for Boston, but both Tobias Harris and Andre Drummond had phenomenal nights.

Drummond made, I believe, 5 of 6 free throws in the fourth quarter - two of which completed three point plays. One of those three point plays came with under a minute to play in the game. Drummond finished with 26 points and 22 boards in what was his best game of the season.

One last note - kudos to the fans in Boston as well as the Celtics organization. The standing ovation they gave Avery Bradley when his name was announced during player introductions - and the enthusiastic read given by the Celtics P.A. announcer - were both very classy. Wasn't expecting that!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:08 pm
Another GIGANTIC win on the road for the Pistons!!!

A terrific 4th quarter fueled the Pistons to a 10 point victory in Boston tonight. That's right -- IN Boston! Pistons played the Celtics tough all night, and went to the locker room at halftime with the lead. After three, the game was tied up at 86 a piece. Marcus Smart had a phenomenal game for Boston, but both Tobias Harris and Andre Drummond had phenomenal nights.

Drummond made, I believe, 5 of 6 free throws in the fourth quarter - two of which completed three point plays. One of those three point plays came with under a minute to play in the game. Drummond finished with 26 points and 22 boards in what was his best game of the season.

One last note - kudos to the fans in Boston as well as the Celtics organization. The standing ovation they gave Avery Bradley when his name was announced during player introductions - and the enthusiastic read given by the Celtics P.A. announcer - were both very classy. Wasn't expecting that!
The Pistons appear to be for real...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 am

I like Rod Beard as a beat writer, but he slipped up tonight:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... 108086588/

He says the Celtics had 110 points on the scoreboard with 5:45 to play. I find that quite interesting considering they finished with 108 points for the game.

So far, so good for the Pistons. I'll feel better if their winning percentage is in similar territory after 35 games.

Drummond's improvement from the charity stripe, a healthy Reggie Jackson, Tobias Harris having a great year, and decent depth from the Pistons' bench have all contributed to the strong performance to date.

Avery Bradley's game is more fundamentally sound than Caldwell-Pope's. A definite upgrade. Glad to have Anthony Tolliver back, too!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 am

Thumbs down to Stan Van Gundy and Reggie Jackson.

SVG was nuts not to use his timeout with 16 seconds left in order to draw up a decent scoring play.

And why on earth would Jackson go deep into the paint against Igoudala and Green with so much time left on the clock? To add insult to injury, Harris was wide open just behind the arc.

The play should've been to dish the ball to Harris or Bradley to go for a game winning triple.

GS tried to hand Detroit the game and Detroit completely squandered the opportunity!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 am
Thumbs down to Stan Van Gundy and Reggie Jackson.

SVG was nuts not to use his timeout with 16 seconds left in order to draw up a decent scoring play.

And why on earth would Jackson go deep into the paint against Igoudala and Green with so much time left on the clock? To add insult to injury, Harris was wide open just behind the arc.

The play should've been to dish the ball to Harris or Bradley to go for a game winning triple.

GS tried to hand Detroit the game and Detroit completely squandered the opportunity!
Reggie Jackson will never live up to his full potential if he is continually a ball hog. Thus far in his time in Detroit that’s what he is... a terrible under pressure but it’s all on me so here I go ball hog.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 pm

What he did last night was indeed very selfish - no question about it.

He's become a Rodney Stuckey clone. Speaking of Mr. Stuckey, his NBA career appears to be over at just 31 years of age.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 am

In Jackson's defense, he IS shooting a career-high field goal percentage this year at 47.6%, compared to 41.9% last year and 43 percent his first 2 years in Detroit. That is a fairly substantial increase.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 am
In Jackson's defense, he IS shooting a career-high field goal percentage this year at 47.6%, compared to 41.9% last year and 43 percent his first 2 years in Detroit. That is a fairly substantial increase.
While it is substantial he doesn’t really fit in a rotate the ball all the way around the key and hit a 3 kind of offense the great teams run... that’s the kind of shot they needed there...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 am

Holy shit, have the Pistons crumbled...Embarrassing.

Jekyll and Hyde team for sure.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 am

Now they're back to their winning ways, but this inconsistency has been a mark of the Van Gundy era. If this team doesn't pull it together and make a run in the playoffs, Ron Jeremy should be out.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am

I see they've lost EIGHT STRAIGHT!

Why is every single Detroit professional sports team a dumpster fire? It's quite pathetic actually.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

Anyone have an opinion of getting Blake Griffin?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am
Anyone have an opinion of getting Blake Griffin?
It's showtime, folks!
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 pm

It's a desperation move and little else.

This team's backcourt is garbage (worse than ever), we gave up a small forward who is a decent scorer, and SVG just screwed us out of a 1st round pick in what's sure to be one of the better drafts in recent memory.

Did I mention the hefty price tag and Griffin's injury issues?

I hate the deal.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:56 am

Is there any indication that SVG is gone if they don't make the playoffs? Gores doesn't seem to be very engaged...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm

I share your concern and agree completely that Gores seems disengaged.

Ironically, the Pistons mop-up squad scored 125 points on the Cavs last night. (Talk about underachievers...the Cavs are a hot mess right now. They are 3 - 7 in their last ten games and have a losing road record for the season.)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 am

The biggest issue for this team at present is fan apathy. Even playing in a brand spanking new arena, the Pistons are 25th in the league in attendance out of 30 teams. I was always dubious about their move downtown since I well remember the crowds of two or three thousand at 10,000+ capacity Cobo Arena. My buddies and I went to a lot of games since it was the easiest ticket in town. (But oh my, how that place rocked with a full house when the likes of Chamberlain or Abdul-Jabbar made an appearance!) With Bill Davidson's purchase of the team eventually came better front office management (re: Jack McCloskey), coaching, and player personnel decisions. Attendance skyrocketed with Davidson's moving the team to the suburbs and winning teams subsequently followed. Granted, the Silverdome was an awful basketball venue unless you had the right seats, but the Palace was perfectly suitable.

I have to believe the trade for Griffin is a positive as long as he stays healthy and helps the team regenerate some lost cachet among area sports fans. It'll be difficult, but winning can cure a lot of what ails ya.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic