Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WOW!!!!

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4014
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

WOW!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:36 pm

"Oh my goodness gracious...of all the dramatic things! "

:)

Though shall not doubt Tom Brady!!!

What a crushing loss if you're a Falcons fan. I don't know how you recover from a loss like that. Right up there with the 2011 Texas Rangers, who were one strike away from winning the world series and what would've been their first title.

I'd say this defeat was even worse, as the Falcons blew a massive lead fairly late in the game. In a regular season game, it would've been nearly impossible to lose the game with that size lead. But to do it in the Super Bowl??? Holy fucking shit.

Tom Brady has solidified himself as the greatest QB in NFL history. Not bad for a sixth round pick!
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:27 am

I've heard all the reasons of how the Falcons blew it in the fourth quarter and they're all legitimate, but that interference call at the goal-line in OT was pure bullshit.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 am

I'm not what you would call an avid sports fan, and this is probably the first time I've ever posted in this section of the board. Yep, that's what it took.

I was rooting for Atlanta, just because I thought it would be nice to see the Falcons get their first-ever Superbowl win. My wife and our 13 year-old son were thinking the same (the 9 year-old wasn't so interested....he opted to watch some Lego DVD's on the other TV).

Having fought a rather nasty cold over the past few days, I downed a couple of Nyquil gelcaps during the second quarter and zonked out in the recliner just before halftime. It was a restful 21-0 nap. I woke up just in time to watch the last five minutes of regulation and OT. Shouldn't have done that, as I found it rather difficult to get back to sleep in the aftermath.

Nyquil gelcaps work really well, as somehow I was able to sleep through all of the yelling, screaming and jumping up and down my wife and son did during the second half when Brady was passing the Patriots onto the scoreboard. Part of me says it would have been something to see. Another part of me is thankful I slept through it.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1370
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by craig11152 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:03 am

moldyoldie wrote:I've heard all the reasons of how the Falcons blew it in the fourth quarter and they're all legitimate, but that interference call at the goal-line in OT was pure bullshit.
I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I have made a hobby out of pass interference calls made and not made over the last 2-3 years. That was interference without a doubt in my mind.
I think the problem is that officials ignore/miss pass interference so often that fans seem to forget it when the see it.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4014
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm with you, Craig. It was a no doubter.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:05 pm

moldyoldie wrote:I've heard all the reasons of how the Falcons blew it in the fourth quarter and they're all legitimate, but that interference call at the goal-line in OT was pure bullshit.
craig11152 wrote:I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I have made a hobby out of pass interference calls made and not made over the last 2-3 years. That was interference without a doubt in my mind.
I think the problem is that officials ignore/miss pass interference so often that fans seem to forget it when the see it.
MWmetalhead wrote:I'm with you, Craig. It was a no doubter.
By the letter of the rule, you're correct. Everybody I know, as well as the commentators, agree with you. The bullshit part is that the refs essentially determined the outcome of the game by calling a penalty which could just as easily have been ignored. Sure, the defender didn't look back for the ball, but the most egregious thing he did was merely put his hand in the receiver's face and nudge his arm a little. How many times would a basketball ref swallow his whistle in an analogous situation?

My big beef is that teams are actually using potential penalties as a tactic in play-calling; e.g., going for the big pass in the hopes an interference penalty is called. It's bullshit!

My biggest beef, however, is that the refs determined not just the outcome of a game, but the Super Bowl Champion! :evil: BAH!
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

New England won because Tom Brady is awesome and because Atlanta made some of the worst play-calling on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half that I've ever seen in an NFL game. Do you know Atlanta only ran the ball FOUR TIMES after leading 28-3? Yeah, 4 run plays.

Here's their play-calling from their 28-3 lead onward:

Completed Pass
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Sack
Punt
-----------------
Run
Run
Sack/Funble
-----------------
Completed Pass
Run
Completed Pass
Run
Sack
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Punt
-----------------
Completed Pass
Completed Pass
Spike
Incomplete Pass
Punt



So there you have it. 11 pass plays and 4 run plays. Not to mention horrible clock management, often snapping the ball with anywhere from 10-20 seconds still on the play clock. They were up FOUR SCORES midway through the 3rd quarter. And then even when they're up 8 and in fairly easy field goal range...they come out PASSING? Sack, then penalty, then punt. Unbelievable.

And on defense, they let Brady pick them apart. Brady was struggling throughout the 1st half when Atlanta was sending pressure, then Atlanta decides to inexplicably go into a semi-prevent for the rest of the game. You just can't do that against Tom Brady.

PS - I seem to recall a similar meltdown by Atlanta against Detroit in the regular season a few years back in London.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1370
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by craig11152 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:38 pm

moldyoldie wrote: By the letter of the rule, you're correct. Everybody I know, as well as the commentators, agree with you. The bullshit part is that the refs essentially determined the outcome of the game by calling a penalty which could just as easily have been ignored. Sure, the defender didn't look back for the ball, but the most egregious thing he did was merely put his hand in the receiver's face and nudge his arm a little. How many times would a basketball ref swallow his whistle in an analogous situation?
My big beef is that teams are actually using potential penalties as a tactic in play-calling; e.g., going for the big pass in the hopes an interference penalty is called. It's bullshit!
My biggest beef, however, is that the refs determined not just the outcome of a game, but the Super Bowl Champion! :evil: BAH!
I just don't agree. Officials should call penalties as they see them whether its the 1st quarter of game one in September or overtime of the Superbowl. To swallow their whistle to not effect the outcome of a game is actually effecting the outcome of a game. In this case its letting the defense cheat to break up a possible touchdown pass. If teams throw deep hoping for a penalty the answer for the defense is play the ball just like the receiver does. I will never buy the argument the officials should stop making calls late in a game.
Otherwise why not just send the officials to the locker room with 2 minutes to go.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

NS8401
Posts: 6814
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:47 pm

bmw wrote:New England won because Tom Brady is awesome and because Atlanta made some of the worst play-calling on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half that I've ever seen in an NFL game. Do you know Atlanta only ran the ball FOUR TIMES after leading 28-3? Yeah, 4 run plays.

Here's their play-calling from their 28-3 lead onward:

Completed Pass
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Sack
Punt
-----------------
Run
Run
Sack/Funble
-----------------
Completed Pass
Run
Completed Pass
Run
Sack
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Punt
-----------------
Completed Pass
Completed Pass
Spike
Incomplete Pass
Punt



So there you have it. 11 pass plays and 4 run plays. Not to mention horrible clock management, often snapping the ball with anywhere from 10-20 seconds still on the play clock. They were up FOUR SCORES midway through the 3rd quarter. And then even when they're up 8 and in fairly easy field goal range...they come out PASSING? Sack, then penalty, then punt. Unbelievable.

And on defense, they let Brady pick them apart. Brady was struggling throughout the 1st half when Atlanta was sending pressure, then Atlanta decides to inexplicably go into a semi-prevent for the rest of the game. You just can't do that against Tom Brady.

PS - I seem to recall a similar meltdown by Atlanta against Detroit in the regular season a few years back in London.
It's all rigged.... "if you get up big... roll over"...

SoupySez
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by SoupySez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:22 pm

bmw wrote:New England won because Tom Brady is awesome and because Atlanta made some of the worst play-calling on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half that I've ever seen in an NFL game. Do you know Atlanta only ran the ball FOUR TIMES after leading 28-3? Yeah, 4 run plays.

Here's their play-calling from their 28-3 lead onward:

Completed Pass
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Sack
Punt
-----------------
Run
Run
Sack/Funble
-----------------
Completed Pass
Run
Completed Pass
Run
Sack
Penalty
Incomplete Pass
Punt
-----------------
Completed Pass
Completed Pass
Spike
Incomplete Pass
Punt



So there you have it. 11 pass plays and 4 run plays. Not to mention horrible clock management, often snapping the ball with anywhere from 10-20 seconds still on the play clock. They were up FOUR SCORES midway through the 3rd quarter. And then even when they're up 8 and in fairly easy field goal range...they come out PASSING? Sack, then penalty, then punt. Unbelievable.

And on defense, they let Brady pick them apart. Brady was struggling throughout the 1st half when Atlanta was sending pressure, then Atlanta decides to inexplicably go into a semi-prevent for the rest of the game. You just can't do that against Tom Brady.

PS - I seem to recall a similar meltdown by Atlanta against Detroit in the regular season a few years back in London.
No running game in the 2nd half sure sounds like it's right out of the Lions playbook.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4014
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Atlanta's sideline deserves a LOT of scrutiny after yesterday night. The play calling was terrible, and Atlanta on defense wasn't much better in the fourth.

That is an outstanding recap, bmw! Thanks for posting it.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1370
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by craig11152 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 am

I seem to have lost my Internet searching skills. I cannot find a Superbowl play by play list for the second half. Am I losing it or is there some sort of NFL lock down?
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: WOW!!!!

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

craig11152 wrote:I seem to have lost my Internet searching skills. I cannot find a Superbowl play by play list for the second half. Am I losing it or is there some sort of NFL lock down?
It's right where you'd expect it to be. :blink
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest