Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Catholic radio in Detroit

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TC Shuts Up

Re: Catholic radio in Detroit

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Joe Kennedy, and the rest of the Kennedys, can hardly be called "Observant Catholics". Kennedys were about as "Observant Catholics" as Larry David is an "Observant Jew".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm

FET-500 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm
Didn't we learn from this the last time? FDR had to call in Joe Kennedy to get the Pope involved... Shrine of the little flower and Fr. Coughlin. Remember? It turned into a Communist cell before the Pope shut that down.
WJR was home base for Father Coughlin and his ministry. FDR did shut down Coughlin for his opposition to the US entry into WWII.

Calling Charlie a communist is a big stretch, he was all over the place on a lot of issues including taxing non-profits (including his own church which he called a burden on local government fire/police/roads) which earned him many critics inside and outside his church. His main target was taxing gains on endowments (Harvard) where rich people move their wealth never to see the light of taxation again, and eliminating the gold standard. In a world where we like labels (conservative, liberal, populist, bigot) he never really fell fully into one.

Regarding Relevant Radio, they typically have a gentleman's agreement with EWTN not to tread into eachothers market. Low fundraising and listenership keep both on short budgets. Also Relevant is more in line with Opus Dei which critics call a country club church but does help them find donors for new stations.

Of course this assumes the AoD would grant permission for a Catholic radio station in Detroit, which as the poster above notes they may not because they did have a bad experience during the depression/pre-war years. Technically WDEO operates with the permission of Saginaw.

I am very doubtful either have the cash for a Detroit station.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 pm
FET-500 wrote:
Didn't we learn from this the last time? FDR had to call in Joe Kennedy to get the Pope involved... Shrine of the little flower and Fr. Coughlin. Remember? It turned into a Communist cell before the Pope shut that down.
What does this have to do with Catholic Radio in Detroit FET-500?
That was Catholic radio in Detroit. Megachurches and Broadcast evangelism were pretty much invented in Royal Oak, Michigan.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 pm

A1B1C1D1 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm
FET-500 wrote:
WJR was home base for Father Coughlin and his ministry. FDR did shut down Coughlin for his opposition to the US entry into WWII.

Calling Charlie a communist is a big stretch, he was all over the place on a lot of issues including taxing non-profits (including his own church which he called a burden on local government fire/police/roads) which earned him many critics inside and outside his church. His main target was taxing gains on endowments (Harvard) where rich people move their wealth never to see the light of taxation again, and eliminating the gold standard. In a world where we like labels (conservative, liberal, populist, bigot) he never really fell fully into one.

Regarding Relevant Radio, they typically have a gentleman's agreement with EWTN not to tread into eachothers market. Low fundraising and listenership keep both on short budgets. Also Relevant is more in line with Opus Dei which critics call a country club church but does help them find donors for new stations.

Of course this assumes the AoD would grant permission for a Catholic radio station in Detroit, which as the poster above notes they may not because they did have a bad experience during the depression/pre-war years. Technically WDEO operates with the permission of Saginaw.

I am very doubtful either have the cash for a Detroit station.

Yes. You have stated this very well. In calling him a Commie, I admit sloth. The guy in fact was all over the map.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm
I live in Whitmore Lake and I can't hear WDEO at all at night. CBW dominates the frequency. Even the daytime signal is quite noisy and seems to be not as strong as it once was. Even when I lived in Saline, CBW cut in very often at night, especially during the winter months.

My preference would be if the Detroit diocese could start a station similar to Tampa Bay's Spirit 90.5 (Contemporary Christian) or Corpus Christi's KLUX (Beautiful Music). I prefer music formats to talk formats when it comes to Christian radio. When I get in the mood to listen to Christian radio, I want programming that reminds me how good God is and of His love and mercy, not fire-and-brimstone diatribes about abortion or how allegedly evil the LGBTQ+ community is. Music formats like K-Love and Smile FM, while predominantly Protestant, provide that. Talk formats like EWTN generally skew too far to the right for my preference. I would imagine I'm not the only Catholic who feels that way, as I have been in the church my whole life and have met very few people who skew that far right. And many of even the Catholics I know will listen to CCM over EWTN (it doesn't hurt that one of CCM's biggest stars, Matt Maher, is Catholic). Some of EWTN's programming is interesting, but I kind of wish they'd do something to broaden their appeal.
I agree with your assessment of EWTN - and I'm a conservative Catholic. Too many programs are targeted towards "church lady". There are some notable exceptions, but too much of the time is spent talking about how the world is going to hell instead of provided uplifting messages and teaching about the faith. Teresa Tomeo's show is a glaring example of church lady radio.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 pm
Jeff Dugan wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:05 pm
“Coming up next on Catholic radio, it’s a Tiger Ticket Tuesday, plus R. Kelly, Michael Jackson, and a Catholic priest, that’s coming up on your Child Molester Monday.”
Child molestation is in all denominations so don’t single out the Catholic denomination and it’s also in our public schools, private schools and in your neighborhoods, it’s everywhere it could even be the person you have to watch your children while your at work. So get off this Catholic and child molestation stereotype.
Me: Child molestation among catholic priests is wrong!

Jim Duggan: What? Everyone’s doing it!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 pm
I’m with you on the music more than the talk as well, but there’s also the teaching part that most Catholic stations always in most cases include in the programming base of the format, I don’t know of any Catholic stations that are 100 percent music, the two stations you mentioned do they stream?
As Rugrats mentioned, Spirit 90.5 streams, and KLUX does as well. I believe KLUX does have some talk and teaching segments (including some in Spanish), but they are mostly music.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Schyster wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 pm
Chris1980 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm
I live in Whitmore Lake and I can't hear WDEO at all at night. CBW dominates the frequency. Even the daytime signal is quite noisy and seems to be not as strong as it once was. Even when I lived in Saline, CBW cut in very often at night, especially during the winter months.

My preference would be if the Detroit diocese could start a station similar to Tampa Bay's Spirit 90.5 (Contemporary Christian) or Corpus Christi's KLUX (Beautiful Music). I prefer music formats to talk formats when it comes to Christian radio. When I get in the mood to listen to Christian radio, I want programming that reminds me how good God is and of His love and mercy, not fire-and-brimstone diatribes about abortion or how allegedly evil the LGBTQ+ community is. Music formats like K-Love and Smile FM, while predominantly Protestant, provide that. Talk formats like EWTN generally skew too far to the right for my preference. I would imagine I'm not the only Catholic who feels that way, as I have been in the church my whole life and have met very few people who skew that far right. And many of even the Catholics I know will listen to CCM over EWTN (it doesn't hurt that one of CCM's biggest stars, Matt Maher, is Catholic). Some of EWTN's programming is interesting, but I kind of wish they'd do something to broaden their appeal.
I agree with your assessment of EWTN - and I'm a conservative Catholic. Too many programs are targeted towards "church lady". There are some notable exceptions, but too much of the time is spent talking about how the world is going to hell instead of provided uplifting messages and teaching about the faith. Teresa Tomeo's show is a glaring example of church lady radio.
"Church lady radio." That's a perfect term for it.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Immaculate Heart Media/Relevant Radio just made their third recent deal with Salem to buy a total of 14 AM stations (plus some translators) for their Catholic talk programming. Relevant Radio will now have stations in 22 of the top 25 markets. When will they come to Detroit?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

I predict WLQV will be sold.

The station airs a handful of obscure national programs on a daily basis + Darrell Wood's afternoon talk show (remember him? He used to host nightly Michigan Lottery drawings), which frankly would fit much better on WDTK, not a "faith talk" station.

A syndicated show of some kind they run weekday evenings is hosted by some pastor who sounds like he has a terrible head cold each & every day. I can tell it comes from out of state. It's one of the most boring radio programs I've ever heard.

Back in the day, plenty of local churches and organizations used to purchase time on the station. These days, it runs a tight schedule of recurring programming plus University of Toledo athletics. The station cannot possibly be generating much revenue.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:20 pm

It doesn’t matter how boring the programs are or how few people listen....as long as the checks clear. Salem makes their money on their brokered time stations, not the conservative talk ones. Crawford also does this with 560 WRDT and 1200 WMUZ-AM. They even sell some time on WMUZ-FM.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

No way WJR goes Catholic.

WLQV is more likely, if Salem sells. They also have the FM translator. I have no idea how much their brokered programming and UT brings in.

Another option is one of the crappy Birach stations. He has sold pieces in the past (WSDS).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:39 pm

My guess is Crawford is kicking Salem's ass as far as brokered programming is concerned.

I hear plenty of filler (in house) programming on WLQV during weekends, along with some national infomercials.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Now that would be WILD, JR going Catholic. Still... my head says no but if The Cloud got the right price for 760, who knows?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic