Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Man, Chrysler/Jeep makes shitty cars...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Re: Man, Chrysler/Jeep makes shitty cars...

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:11 am

Compare how GM handled the Corvair vs Toyota handled the airbag issue. I would never buy a GM again.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:11 am
Compare how GM handled the Corvair vs Toyota handled the airbag issue. I would never buy a GM again.
Touché...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:23 am

I need to eat some crow. My big mouth has gotten me in trouble yet again.

I was completely unaware of the stop/start feature in these cars.

That means the cars I mentioned in my OP apparently were functioning as intended!

Someone mentioned a rusty Chevy earlier. I had a similar experience with a '93 Lumina. Also, million things started going wrong on that car around 90,000 miles. Chevy made some horrible cars in the 90s.

In the 00s, Chevy Trailblazers and GMC Envoys were famous for taillights burning out.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

All cars shut off these days, don't they?

I rent a lot, and everyone I get does this.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:14 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am
All cars shut off these days, don't they?

I rent a lot, and everyone I get does this.
Is there a way to disable it?

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:24 am

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:14 am
Is there a way to disable it?
Once you start the car you can disable it. When you shut the car down and start it again (another key cycle) it automatically will default back to engaging. It's annoying and some manufacturers' systems are more intrusive than others, but in the grand scheme of things it's minor IMO.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:23 am

Love my FCA mobile. Fully loaded, all the toys, Charger. Bullet proof engine, proven platform, same transmission that is used in many imports. I am a happy camper.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Out of pure chance, I happened to have a Charger as an airport rental three years ago. (I had booked an intermediate-size car, which Enterprise didn't have on hand.)

It handled well and definitely had a very capable engine. Also very spacious. Drove the car for three and a half days.

Unlike many FCA products, the Charger also performs quite well in the resale value department.

https://instamotor.com/sell-car/car-val ... sale-value
http://fcauthority.com/2018/04/2018-dod ... ale-value/

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:18 pm

The FCA brands fall dead last on the reliability rankings lists. And thats nothing new. In the 90s, they had some bad models in the Intepid/LHS/Concorde with engine sludging/transmission failure issues. Caravans/Voyagers were long known for frequent trans failures. To be fair, there are some good products from them that I see more than any other cars from the era. The Acclaim and Spirit were solid cars that I still see on the road quite often. The Shadow was less problematic and Im blown away by the amount i still encounter in my travels. But when they strayed from basic engineering, I guess they went with technology they hadnt yet mastered the art of. Sad that the rugged Jeeps have such poor reliability according to sources like Consumers Reports. in the old days, they were owned by AMC, whose engines were highly regarded as some of the most durable of their time.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 pm

I have the Start/Stop feature on my 2017 Escape. At first, I thought it was kind of neat, save a few pennies on gas. Now, I turn it off when stopped. When it's on in the summer, and it's hot out, your A/C shuts off every time you stop at a light. So, I figured, the hell with it. I do like the Lane Keeping System, though. If you begin to drift across the line, the steering gives off a little vibration to tell you watch out. Like the heated seats and steering wheel too.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:28 am

Those reliability ratings are such horse shit. The various Chargers, Challengers and 300's are nearly bullet proof these days. The platform they are built on is proven, bugs worked out, and rock solid. I have had 2 recalls in 3 years of ownership, to put a set of wheel chocks in my trunk for tire changing and a pro active recall to flash both cruise controls as a single rental car had an issue so FCA said let's reflash all just in case. Meanwhile, my kids, who drive cars higher on these lists have had a barrage of recalls. My oldest drives a Fusion which had 6 outstanding at one time. My personal favorite was the steering wheel could come off in your hands. She still has one outstanding dealing with doors that Ford has no fix for yet. My youngest, an Optima, has had a handful dealing with sludge, electronics fires and now it seems her car could just torch up for no reason and the company refuses to recall so classic action lawsuits have been filed. Those ratings are worth about as much as the paper they are printed on, if that much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic