All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Super Bowl ads this year

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Super Bowl ads this year

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Overall, this year's crop of ads were lamer than usual.

A lot of big companies sat this one out. (Hmmm....wonder why. *Cough*)

Do we REALLY need yet another Jurassic Park / Jurassic World movie? Good grief.

The Bud Light ads all f*cking stunk and annoyed the crap out of me. If they wanted to dissuade me from purchasing their beer, mission accomplished!

The RAM Trucks ad was simply in poor taste. Using Dr. MLK's words for a sales pitch? Seriously??? You've gottta be f*cking kidding me. Leave it to the losers at Fiat Chrysler to do something that stupid.

One of the more clever commercials, surprisingly, actually came from Quicken Loans. I think their commercial was my favorite.

The Tide commercial - although not nearly as humorous as the Quicken Loans ad - gets points from me for creativity and production quality. That one was my second favorite.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

sfpcc

Re: Super Bowl ads this year

Post by sfpcc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:16 am

The Danny Devito M&M commercial was kind of cute.

This year it seemed at least half of the ads were from upcoming films.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am

Tide must have spent a fortune on ads because I think I saw at least 5 or 6 spots. A funny Tide ad would have been one poking fun at the idiots who eat Tide pods and a tag line at the end something like "WARNING - Tide Pods are for washing your clothes, not your digestive system."

Also just curious - and I watched it on NBC 25 (WEYI), there was a commercial break sometime in the middle of the game that was only a 30-second break, but the entire break was black and silent dead air. Did this happen at a national level, or was it local? That mistake in the control room must have cost somebody a bunch of money. And that gave me a great idea for a Super Bowl commercial. You have about 10 or 15 seconds of dead air, then you hear a toilet flush in the background, and then a shot of the NBC control room with the board operator running from the bathroom to the board in a panic because he was late getting a commercial to air, mumbling about how much money he just cost NBC in lost ad revenue. Then he looks up and there's a guy in a suit and tie staring him down. WANNA GET AWAY? NOW YOU CAN. With fares as low as.......

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am

My wife and I both liked the Budweiser water commercial, but we are admittedly saps for that sort of feel good thing.
The "Stand By Me" cover was done by Skylar Grey. I confess to not knowing of her at all till last night.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I liked the guy whose bleep don't stink. (Febreze) :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic