Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Mark Wahlberg in AT&T commercial

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
In The Bleachers

Mark Wahlberg in AT&T commercial

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm sorry if I'm a little slow on this but ...
I'm sure many have seen the commercial for AT&T that first has Angelica Huston walking around with a big dollar sign on her, then Mark Wahlberg holding a ground hog. Every time I see this commercial, I think "HUH??" I just don't get it.

SolarMax

Re: Mark Wahlberg in AT&T commercial

Post by SolarMax » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:17 pm

Angelica, hiding behind a curtain, is a metaphor for "hidden fees" levied by ATT's competitors (Comcast).
The ground hog and the very loud dramatic music I don't get either. Unless it's supposed to be a reference to "Ground Hog Day"
THey're not funny when they need explanation, I guess.

yupislyr

Post by yupislyr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 am

The ground hog is a reference to a decade old internet meme

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dramatic-chipmunk

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for that info. Totally missed the Dramatic Chipmunk/Dramatic Prairie Dog meme. As i said earlier, punchlines aren't funny when they need to be explained.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

Boy, that prairie dog thing threw me for a complete loop, as did the flash mob in the train station a few years ago. :roll: What a drag it is getting old.
HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF THE DAMN LAWN! :evil:
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:45 am

More reasons why to not watch commercials.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic