Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Sad Charity Pitches

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
SolarMax

Sad Charity Pitches

Post by SolarMax » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Now, mind you, I am truly all in favor of helping out sick kids and rescuing abandoned animals.
But, I am truly hopeful that the Christmas-themed appeals for ASPCA and St. Jude will soon throttle back.
The spots running for each feature the same melancholy, monotone voicing, and what could be almost the same copy themes. Substitute "children" for "pets," wrap with "Please give Today!!"
Rather than inspiring me to give them my precious credit card data, these kinds of boring, repetitive spots only motivate me to mute the sound or change the channel.
#bah-humbug

SoupySez

Re: Sad Charity Pitches

Post by SoupySez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 pm

SolarMax wrote:Now, mind you, I am truly all in favor of helping out sick kids and rescuing abandoned animals.
But, I am truly hopeful that the Christmas-themed appeals for ASPCA and St. Jude will soon throttle back.
The spots running for each feature the same melancholy, monotone voicing, and what could be almost the same copy themes. Substitute "children" for "pets," wrap with "Please give Today!!"
Rather than inspiring me to give them my precious credit card data, these kinds of boring, repetitive spots only motivate me to mute the sound or change the channel.
#bah-humbug
And how is it that they all come up with the donation to their cause being either $18 or $19 a month. I guess they figure asking for $20 a month is asking too much.

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Those ASPCA commercials with the dreary background music, monotonous announcing, and sad-looking dogs always drive me crazy. Even if I had a bunch of money to give to charitable causes, depressing commercials such as the aforementioned ASPCA and St. Jude don't make it any more encouraging to donate to them in my view.
Cume-U-Less, please do the world a favor and sell WFBE and WHNN.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm

My nominee is on the radio side of things: 1-800-KARS-4-KIDS

I hate that friggin' spot. Fortunately, it hasn't aired in the Detroit market in a long time. (WWJ used to run those spots constantly about five years ago.)

It's not sad at all in a tearful or tug-on-your-heartstrings sense. It's sad as in "lame."
102.9 The Hog in Milwaukee KICKS ASS!!! Love the 90's weekends. (The playlist during the work week is damn good, too!)

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't remember 1-877-KARS-4-KIDS running here. I do hear that corny jingle frequently when I'm BC Band DXing, particularly from NYC, Chicago and Boston. In this market, they'd be crowded out by all the local car donation places like Mother Waddles, Charity Motors, Volunteers of America, and a slew of others.

1-877-KARS-4-KIDS: Behind the Most Hated (and Best) Jingle of All Time

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

SoupySez wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 pm
SolarMax wrote: The spots running for each feature the same melancholy, monotone voicing, and what could be almost the same copy themes. Substitute "children" for "pets," wrap with "Please give Today!!"
#bah-humbug
And how is it that they all come up with the donation to their cause being either $18 or $19 a month. I guess they figure asking for $20 a month is asking too much.
For only 63 cents a day. Also, you get a blanket, shirt or coin as a token of your generosity.

I wonder if the same marketing company is responsible for handling these different charities.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

For only 63 cents a day. Also, you get a blanket, shirt or coin as a token of your generosity.

I wonder if the same marketing company is responsible for handling these different charities.
Giving a trinket in return is an effective way to get folks to donate. Address stickers in a mail solicitation is also, for some reason, also effective.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

For only 63 cents a day.
63 cents a day, every day, is not an insignificant amount of dough on an annual basis.

If only it really went to the cause, rather than the administration, of the charity.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic