Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) dies

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) dies

Post by matt1 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 pm

Guitarist Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd & Rossington Collins Band) has died at 71 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Rossington

Bobbert

Re: Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) dies

Post by Bobbert » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am

From The Dispatch (Moline, Illinois) (1/22/1978) (syndicated column from Rolling Stone magazine)
The surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd are all finally out of the hospital, three months after the plane crash that killed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and back-up vocalist Cassie Gaines. After much debate between their record company and management, the cover of "Street Survivors," the group's last album, has been changed to a more subdued photo of the band (the original depicted Skynyrd members surrounded by flames).

"We were really happy with that album. I wish we could back it up, but we never will," said keyboardist Billy Powell. "It's all too strange for me—the cover, the song 'That Smell,'—that's the only song I didn't play on."

Guitarists Gary Rossington and Allen Collins (who is still in a neck brace) say they definitely plan to continue performing together, and anyone else from the group who wants to join is welcome. They will not, however, use the name Lynyrd Skynyrd again.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:34 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am
From The Dispatch (Moline, Illinois) (1/22/1978) (syndicated column from Rolling Stone magazine)
The surviving members of Lynyrd Skynyrd are all finally out of the hospital, three months after the plane crash that killed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and back-up vocalist Cassie Gaines. After much debate between their record company and management, the cover of "Street Survivors," the group's last album, has been changed to a more subdued photo of the band (the original depicted Skynyrd members surrounded by flames).

"We were really happy with that album. I wish we could back it up, but we never will," said keyboardist Billy Powell. "It's all too strange for me—the cover, the song 'That Smell,'—that's the only song I didn't play on."

Guitarists Gary Rossington and Allen Collins (who is still in a neck brace) say they definitely plan to continue performing together, and anyone else from the group who wants to join is welcome. They will not, however, use the name Lynyrd Skynyrd again.
The last paragraph sure aged well.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:44 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic