Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Has Evangelical Christianity Become Sociopathic?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Has Evangelical Christianity Become Sociopathic?

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 am

It has become nothing but a vehicle for politicians and evan faith leaders to control people. Tony Campolo is one of the few Evangelicals I can stand...
Evangelical speaker, author, and university professor, Tony Campolo, said Christianity was redefined in the mid-70s by positions of “pro-life” and opposing gay marriage. “Suddenly theology fell to the background,” he said. And somewhere in the middle of all the change, Evangelical Christianity crossed the line of faith and belief to hatred and abuse. Those who cruelly implement the actions of their faith are oblivious to the destruction they cause to their religion, or the people their beliefs impact. Is it fair to call it sociopathic?
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2017/05/ha ... ciopathic/

https://youtu.be/GwAWU2tIDPo

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Re: Has Evangelical Christianity Become Sociopathic?

Post by screen glare » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:38 pm

An answer from Jesus.
Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. And unto God what is God’s.

Organized religion goes straight to hell, so to speak, the first time it ventures into candidate endorsements for governmental elected offices, political issues, political fundraising, telling church goers for whom to vote, etc. Which we have once again witnessed over the past seven decades.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:47 am

I mostly agree SG.

Tony? As a former spiritual & menu advisor to the Clinton's I would say he gets an failing grade in that area SG, for endorsing Hillary right on a his non-profit's website:

https://www.redletterchristians.org/sup ... president/

Unbelievable. He could have stayed out politics, but he waded into politics more than anyone, and then threw his faith out with the bathwater by doing that.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am

For as long as Christianity has been around (and this isn't unique to just Christianity or just one denomination of Christianity, either), there have always been people who use it as a vehicle to gain political power. This is nothing new and has been going on for well over a thousand years. There are undoubtedly a few sociopaths with power; HOWEVER, I would be careful making a broad generalization of the religion itself based on the actions of man. So this is one of those rare instances where I also agree with SG.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:55 am

Some of the restrictions attributed to Christianity were present long before Christ, and are rooted in Old Testament/Mosaic/Jewish Law, and many of them are applicable today. Lot's Wife may have actually died from an early form of an AIDS like illness, which was spread by unrestrained sexual practices in Sodom and Gommorah. The "Pillar of Salt" may have been an advanced, terminal form of what is today called "The Slims". Notice that we are running out of antibiotics to which resistance has not occurred.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 am

If we agree that belief and faith should not have a role in politics, would we also agree that any organized religion that participates actively in the political process be denied their nonprofit status?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Tony is one of the the worst offenders.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm
Tony is one of the the worst offenders.
Great, so is it time to pull the plug on tax breaks on faith organizations that engage in political advocacy or downright campaigning.

― Noam Chomsky

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am
For as long as Christianity has been around (and this isn't unique to just Christianity or just one denomination of Christianity, either), there have always been people who use it as a vehicle to gain political power. This is nothing new and has been going on for well over a thousand years. There are undoubtedly a few sociopaths with power; HOWEVER, I would be careful making a broad generalization of the religion itself based on the actions of man. So this is one of those rare instances where I also agree with SG.
That guy had a name, it was Constantine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Milan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic