Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hey WDRQ, Why Don’t You Do All 90’s

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Hey WDRQ, Why Don’t You Do All 90’s

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Could it work? Rewind WDRQ All 90’s Radio for Detroit, Remember WDRQ was hot in the 90’s. What do you think?

armchair pd

Re: Hey WDRQ, Why Don’t You Do All 90’s

Post by armchair pd » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 pm
Could it work? Rewind WDRQ All 90’s Radio for Detroit, Remember WDRQ was hot in the 90’s. What do you think?
Not a horrible idea, but that could potently overlap with DVD, so zero chance it happens.
IMHO, the market for 90's nostalgia isn't strong enough to support a 90's format...yet.
SXM has a 90's channel and it's meh.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 am

Are people clamoring to hear I Saw the Sign by Ace of Base into Torn by Natalie Imbruglia into Mmmmbop by Hanson?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am

Ugh, I hope not. Those are reasons I dislike 90's music as a genre.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 am

All 90s formats have already come and gone. iHeart has smells like the 90s on 106.7 HD2- that's all you'll ever see on the dial

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:36 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Are we saying that the Millennials music sucks?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:50 am

Chuck Davies wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:36 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Are we saying that the Millennials music sucks?
90's music was written and performed by Generation X and older, unless you knew of lots of 0-10 year olds in the 90's with a record contract and lots of hits. But yes, I digress, once my generation started making mainstream music, it didn't get much better. But many record executives were still Generation X'ers when we came on the scene.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Since it seems like the 90s were the last time rock was really relevant in any way, shape or form, I'd like to have a station that plays a LOT of stuff I used to hear back then, that has all but faded away with time. I believe MW and I threw out a few suggestions in the Wheels thread, but this would lean a lot more toward stuff on 89x, with WRIF in second, and 96.3 in third. Maybe even 105.1 The Edge. It would mirror Sirius/XM's "Lithium" closely.

It seems when people think 90s, they automatically think Smells Like Teen Spirit and Longview...and the rest is pop, dance and rap. There was a LOT of rock music happening in the 90s as well. It wasn't all MMMBop and Tubthumping. As a matter of fact, there's no reason why Wheels can't play the likes of:

Possum Kingdom (Toadies)
Banditos (The Refreshments)
Shimmer (Fuel)
You (Candlebox)
Hey Man, Nice Shot (Filter)
What Do I Have to Do (Stabbing Westward)

Some STP from Tiny Music and No. 4, Hail Hail by Pearl Jam, Muzzle by Smashing Pumpkins, all of these songs were songs I heard on WRIF at one point or another. Granted, the 90s were a very lean time for mainstream rock (aside from 1996. Kiss, Van Halen and Metallica all did well that year). I have to believe there is a way to make this work. Or maybe I'm the only one that remembers these songs. Sponge, Better Than Ezra, all kinds of different stuff. I thought my parents had it bad, but at least they had the classic rock format. The rock of my youth has been dwindled down to a few Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Green Day and Weezer tracks. Thank God for YouTube.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 pm

The 90’s, I my opinion was a great decade for music and for a radio format if done correctly could work even if a station emphasizes just on the Pop 90’s it could work.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Possum Kingdom (Toadies)
Shimmer (Fuel)
You (Candlebox)

Some STP from Tiny Music and No. 4, Hail Hail by Pearl Jam, Muzzle by Smashing Pumpkins, all of these songs were songs I heard on WRIF at one point or another. Granted, the 90s were a very lean time for mainstream rock (aside from 1996. Kiss, Van Halen and Metallica all did well that year). I have to believe there is a way to make this work. Or maybe I'm the only one that remembers these songs. Sponge, Better Than Ezra, all kinds of different stuff. I thought my parents had it bad, but at least they had the classic rock format. The rock of my youth has been dwindled down to a few Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Green Day and Weezer tracks. Thank God for YouTube.
I have heard “Hey Man, Nice Shot” on Wheelz. I wouldn’t be surprised if “Possum Kingdom” and “Shimmer” found their way on in the next few years. I think I’ve heard Fuel’s “Hemorrhage” once or twice on Wheelz, but I could be wrong.
Remember, 90s on Classic Rock is still a relatively recent thing, so they’re starting with the absolute most mass appeal stuff to appeal to the current demo, which still prefers 70s/80s. As the format’s demo marches more into a 90s preference, I would expect the material to expand.

Here in Cleveland, WNCX is still playing VERY little 90s material- “Hard to Handle” is the only one I’ve heard or seen on playlist logs to this date! Therefore, I’m sure I have a more positive opinion on this station than most here.
Last edited by Chrocket87 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:45 pm

DRQ needs to focus on late 80s through early 2000s country.
Or they will keep dying

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:46 pm

Reba McEntire, Wynonna Judd, Rascal Flatts, Linda Ronstadt, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Keith Urban

This stuff.

Not Taylor Swift

Music is my life.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:30 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Possum Kingdom (Toadies)
Shimmer (Fuel)
You (Candlebox)

I have heard “Hey Man, Nice Shot” on Wheelz. I wouldn’t be surprised if “Possum Kingdom” and “Shimmer” found their way on in the next few years. I think I’ve heard Fuel’s “Hemorrhage” once or twice on Wheelz, but I could be wrong.
Remember, 90s on Classic Rock is still a relatively recent thing, so they’re starting with the absolute most mass appeal stuff to appeal to the current demo, which still prefers 70s/80s. As the format’s demo marches more into a 90s preference, I would expect the material to expand.

Here in Cleveland, WNCX is still playing VERY little 90s material- “Hard to Handle” is the only one I’ve heard or seen on playlist logs to this date! Therefore, I’m sure I have a better opinion on this station than most here.
Agreed. 1991 or thereabouts seems to be what I call "AOR's last stand". After that, anything new released by a classic artist was heaped into the "classic rock" pile. Grunge changed everything.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm

So would an all 90's station be strictly pop, R&B, dance hits, and soft rock? No Grunge or Hard Rock I am guessing? Would an hour of music, assuming 10-12 songs played, look something like this . . .

Truly, Madly, Deeply - Savage Garden
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
One Week - Bear Naked Ladies
I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
I Saw the Sign - Ace of Base
Dreaming of You - Selena
Creep - TLC
Oops I Did It Again - Brittany Spears
Black or White - Michael Jackson
She's So High - Tel Bachman
Step by Step - New Kids on the Block
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:04 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 pm
So would an all 90's station be strictly pop, R&B, dance hits, and soft rock? No Grunge or Hard Rock I am guessing? Would an hour of music, assuming 10-12 songs played, look something like this . . .

Truly, Madly, Deeply - Savage Garden
I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
One Week - Bear Naked Ladies
I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
I Saw the Sign - Ace of Base
Dreaming of You - Selena
Creep - TLC
Oops I Did It Again - Brittany Spears
Black or White - Michael Jackson
She's So High - Tel Bachman
Step by Step - New Kids on the Block
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam