Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 Detroit is identical to 105.7 Columbus

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 106.7 Detroit is identical to 105.7 Columbus

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:37 pm

I am by no means writing off the new station yet.

I just am underwhelmed by what I've heard so far. A poorly structured corporate playlist does not impress me at all.

Once excitement over resurrection of the Wheels name wears off, people will start paying attention to 106.7's programming. They will leave if the music becomes neglected.

Hopefully 106.7 will work as hard as 105.1 to find the right mix of music, morning content, and image.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm

MW, I understand where you’re coming from, Even myself I hear songs on the station and say why are they playing that tune, I think we all have our own ideas as to how we want the station to sound, But You have different taste in music than myself and the next person and so on. So if we give it a while it might not be a bad station only time will tell.

That_Canadian_Guy

Post by That_Canadian_Guy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Podell isn't the PD. Casey, who was PD of ALT is still Program Director and tracking nights.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm
The funny thing is - the Real WLLZ lasted nowhere nearly as long as WCSX or 89X, two stations that are still around and have more-or-less kept the same format since their respective launches.

And we all know WRIF's life span is three times the length of the original WLLZ - and counting.

Wheels was a great station in its prime, but its prime wasn't terribly lengthy. Its tenure as a successful station is shorter, in some cases far shorter, than that of Mix 92.3, WCSX, Channel 955, WDVD, WJLB, WYCD, WNIC (I won't hold their "Fresh" phase against them), WRIF, WOMC, the former Q95-5 and the former W4 Country. Its tenure as a succesful station was comparable to that of its replacement, V98.7.

Wheels lost relevance quickly after WCSX had been around for a couple years.
I think you're painting with a broad brush here, MW. WCSX arrived in 1987. WLLZ was still a contender for another 6 years or thereabouts. Jay Clark arrived at Wheels with some new and different ideas, one being the "Rock & Sports" concept. We were probably a bit before our time on that one. At one point, there were actually 2 different consultants on the payroll. One was Jeff Pollack. I can't recall the other one. I would peg the downward spiral of Wheels to be sometime in 1993, after Jay left. I do recall that Pollack drastically "trimmed all the fat" out of the music library. I think Gary Palmer may have been PD at that point. It's a shame Bob Bauer is no longer with us. He would have many stories.

WCSX, and to a lesser extent WRIF, had more stable ownership than WLLZ, which changed hands several times. We almost lost WRIF when Silver Star owned it for a minute, but that's a story for another time.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm
WLLZ 106.7 has been on the air for a little more than 48 hours and we including myself are already putting it in it’s grave, Maybe we all should see where it will be in 48 days instead of 48 hours, What do you think?
I agree..........we have been wanting another rocker to take the Detroit's wheelz moniker for yrs now lets stop bitching, everyone has valid points to post but were not going to get that definitive station that rocks your ass off on commercial radio, that kind of station unfortuately costs in a subscription.

Lets just enjoy the RIDE......... :wink:

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 am

Personally, I would have The New Wheels 106.7 be an Active Rocker simular To The Riff and 89 X, With very little If any Classic Rock, If the Original Wheels were here today 40 years after its birth I would bet that’s what Wheels would be doing. Just my opinion.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 am

Podell isn't the PD. Casey, who was PD of ALT is still Program Director and tracking nights.
Too bad. That needs to change. Casey has accomplished NOTHING in this market. He also is in charge of the lowest rated full market FM station in Grand Rapids and has led it to all-time record low ratings.

I noticed the online music log for Fake Wheels magically stopped working within 24 hours of me calling them out for using a generic playlist cooked up by corporate. Coincidence?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:32 pm
Oh, btw, Queen does not "suck"

Your opinion on the band does not affect their legacy. Sorry.
Everyone has their own taste in music.

Get over it. Queen is classic rock.
No, Queen really does suck. What do you think fostered the rise of the punks? Queen was pretty solid until '77 or so, and then became a bloated pantomime of itself.
The fantastic timbre' of Farrokh Bulsara's voice or Brian May's rather unique guitar, do not make up for weak song writing or bombastic production and arrangements.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:33 am

FET-500 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am
stopnswop2 wrote:

No, Queen really does suck. What do you think fostered the rise of the punks? Queen was pretty solid until '77 or so, and then became a bloated pantomime of itself.
The fantastic timbre' of Farrokh Bulsara's voice or Brian May's rather unique guitar, do not make up for weak song writing or bombastic production and arrangements.
Queen was an innovative band musically and they seemed to have a wide range of influences. Between "Bohemian Rhapsody" making a comeback on "Waynes World" and "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" being sports arena anthems, they managed to get their music heard and appreciated by younger generations. However, they have been played to death, and listeners have grown tired of their songs. Also, Freddie Mercurys sexuality is no longer taboo in this generation, so he is now more openly celebrated as an icon.....which means a resurgence of his music that will probably also continue.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 am

FET-500 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am
stopnswop2 wrote:

It’s indeed a preference thing, Personally I hated Queen, Styx, Kiss, and even Rush, I could never stand playing their records on the radio back then and to this day HATE Them, But then again I love Coca-Cola but hate Pepsi.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm
The funny thing is - the Real WLLZ lasted nowhere nearly as long as WCSX or 89X, two stations that are still around and have more-or-less kept the same format since their respective launches.

And we all know WRIF's life span is three times the length of the original WLLZ - and counting.

Wheels was a great station in its prime, but its prime wasn't terribly lengthy. Its tenure as a successful station is shorter, in some cases far shorter, than that of Mix 92.3, WCSX, Channel 955, WDVD, WJLB, WYCD, WNIC (I won't hold their "Fresh" phase against them), WRIF, WOMC, the former Q95-5 and the former W4 Country. Its tenure as a succesful station was comparable to that of its replacement, V98.7.

Wheels lost relevance quickly after WCSX had been around for a couple years.
I think you're painting with a broad brush here, MW. WCSX arrived in 1987. WLLZ was still a contender for another 6 years or thereabouts. Jay Clark arrived at Wheels with some new and different ideas, one being the "Rock & Sports" concept. We were probably a bit before our time on that one. At one point, there were actually 2 different consultants on the payroll. One was Jeff Pollack. I can't recall the other one. I would peg the downward spiral of Wheels to be sometime in 1993, after Jay left. I do recall that Pollack drastically "trimmed all the fat" out of the music library. I think Gary Palmer may have been PD at that point. It's a shame Bob Bauer is no longer with us. He would have many stories.

WCSX, and to a lesser extent WRIF, had more stable ownership than WLLZ, which changed hands several times. We almost lost WRIF when Silver Star owned it for a minute, but that's a story for another time.
I, for one, would love to hear these stories. All the happenings at the local rock stations in the late 80s and early 90s.

One, as I recall from stories and air checks, is that NOBODY was really playing Metallica or things like that in 1991, 1992. It was a tough time, clinging to the classics while alternative rock and metal were getting bigger. Check out my YouTube channel "Bee Kay 5150" for some classic air checks. I'd love to have you walk me through the battleground one day.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:28 pm

That_Canadian_Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:43 pm
How, in the name of all that is Holy, is that even possible??? That's like having Michelin chefs available but opting for the 2 for $5 at Arby's!

Oh, no. That has to change.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:56 am
The problem is they've played Queen three times since 6a this morning!

Just as Fault 1067 overdosed on Panic! at the Disco and Imagine Dragons, the new station is OD'ing on Queen.

Most recent play was "Killer Queen."

WCSX and WLAV through the years have not played Queen much and for good reason - the band SUCKS!!! I suspect they are a band that is very polarizing when it comes to research.

If any Rock station in Columbus is carbon copied - it should be 99.7 The Blitz. PHENOMENAL station. Much better stationality than WRIF. Better music choices, too.
Queen is hot right now since "Bohemian Rhapsody" is almost $1 billion in revenue worldwide, and the film won 4 out of 5 Oscars including Best Actor.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

SpartanAM wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm
In my opinion, a format similar to "The Lake" in Cleveland (could still be branded as Wheelz) would be a great fit for 106.7... although it's not much different from the D.
Lake has been as high as #2 in CLE. I don't believe it's ever dropped out of the top 5 since it's debut. Flanks classic hits WMJI.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Listening to this station I can't but think it is just 106.7 the Drive (as MW mentioned prior) with better on-air talent and a live + local presence all day.

Even going back and looking on Internet Archive of a prior Drive playlist seems very similar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic