Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WQKL WPLJ Call Letter Swap (Speculation, But I'm Calling Art!)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722

WQKL WPLJ Call Letter Swap (Speculation, But I'm Calling Art!)

Post by CK-722 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

K Love is running out of its signature call letter series.

The W_KL series is nearly exhausted. They could take WQKL from Ann Arbor, and Cumulus could PARK WPLJ on 107.1 Ann Arbor. Remember where you heard it first.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 14888

Re: WQKL WPLJ Call Letter Swap (Speculation, But I'm Calling Art!)

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:55 am

Great idea, But are calls really that important anymore? And who is Art? You mean Linkletter 😆 Your a riot Alice!
Last edited by Deleted User 14888 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Oldies 84,how 'bout Art Regner,since he seems to have disappeared ? (Good ol' SPART Regner !!!)

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

How about NOT!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm

And who is Art?
You aren't from around here, are you?

Art, the one who renames Ann Arbor radio stations. Such as WNRZ=>WIQB. Such as the one who tried to put WHN back on 1050 New York? Not saying they always listen.

Anyway, I already called him after reading this. He has a different take on the call letter situation.

Remember "Tomorrow Radio"? "Punk Country"? They always make fun of those ideas, and adopt them by the end of the day.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm
And who is Art?
You aren't from around here, are you?

Art, the one who renames Ann Arbor radio stations. Such as WNRZ=>WIQB. Such as the one who tried to put WHN back on 1050 New York? Not saying they always listen.

Anyway, I already called him after reading this. He has a different take on the call letter situation.

Remember "Tomorrow Radio"? "Punk Country"? They always make fun of those ideas, and adopt them by the end of the day.
Yes, From around here but left Detroit radio in ‘84 and came back home in ‘98 was mainly in The Northwest.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm

The WPLJ call letters are important here because they are the brand. Cumulus is going to park them on a frequency somewhere, just so no other station in NYC or the suburbs can pick them up and brand themselves as “the NEW PLJ.” (Which is actually how the WKTU calls got resurrected after a ten-year absence from the NYC dial and played off of the original KTU’s brand equity.)

Just like Cumulus parked the WLUP and WWWM calls on two thirds of the “Love 105” soft AC trimulcast in Minneapolis, they’ll find a small-market AM to stick the WPLJ calls on, and that will be it.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Maybe that guy I hear about that has Christian Stations, From the Lansing area will get them, He has a ton of old call letters on his network like WHYT and WVMV to just name a couple.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Myron Falwell wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm
The WPLJ call letters are important here because they are the brand. Cumulus is going to park them on a frequency somewhere, just so no other station in NYC or the suburbs can pick them up and brand themselves as “the NEW PLJ.” (Which is actually how the WKTU calls got resurrected after a ten-year absence from the NYC dial and played off of the original KTU’s brand equity.)

Just like Cumulus parked the WLUP and WWWM calls on two thirds of the “Love 105” soft AC trimulcast in Minneapolis, they’ll find a small-market AM to stick the WPLJ calls on, and that will be it.
OK, then WLBY 1290 Saline, MI. Putting them on WQKL 107.1 would be a better fit.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 pm
Maybe that guy I hear about that has Christian Stations, From the Lansing area will get them, He has a ton of old call letters on his network like WHYT and WVMV to just name a couple.
I thought of that, too. There are a few Call Letter Recyclers. Chicago has quite a number. The latest is WJMK 1250 Bridgeport . They could park WPLJ on WJKL 94.3 and 95.5 could be WJKL. But Cumulus probably does want control of them. More than EMF does.

BTW will the downward ratings trend on WRME-LP 87.75 continue?

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Good theory, CK-722! I like it. :)

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Do you really think these calls letters will actually mean anything in today’s radio business model, Just wondering, Look at The Breeze 98.7 WDZH call letters are insignificant, The Bounce 105.1 WMGC calls insignificant and one more Nash FM WDRQ calls Insignificant so my point is do they carry the weight they used to back in the day.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm

<snip>
BTW will the downward ratings trend on WRME-LP 87.75 continue?

Apparently not. They've gotten half a point back in the latest book.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic