Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

President Trump Will Declare National Emergency

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: President Trump Will Declare National Emergency

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 pm
Let's go to court !
Couple more years and we'll get those asshats replaced too!
A sometime after that when a Democrat is President and declares gun violence and climate change as national emergencies (which clearly and demonstrably more of a threat to the typical American than some road-weary Hispanic looking for work) those new asshats will be forced to uphold the precedent.

Chew on that SHOTBAWS!
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 pm
Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:36 pm
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 pm
Let's go to court !
Couple more years and we'll get those asshats replaced too!
A sometime after that when a Democrat is President and declares gun violence and climate change as national emergencies (which clearly and demonstrably more of a threat to the typical American than some road-weary Hispanic looking for work) those asshats will be forced to uphold the precedent.

Chew on that SHOTBAWS!
Trump’s crop of radicals (yeah that’s exactly what they are, you don’t change the establishment by not being a radical) will simply tell us that precedent is so establishment and that we need a new way to think about things... the base will eat that up and we’ll be on our way... convention and normal social, ethical and economic norms and customs mean nothing to these people if the end goal is achieved.. thus far nobody has seen fully the end goal... power and cronyism...

Ironically his base thinks they are going to bring back the good old days... where the concepts they keep shitting on as establishment were the way things worked and seen as something to look up to and work towards. This is what happens when adults long for their idyllic childhoods despite the fact that nothing about the world then was idyllic...

These same people believe, amazingly, that Trump gives a rats ass about their problems or about them and there is absolutely no evidence that supports that on anything except tariffs... it’s his playing on their naïveté that keeps his base tightly wrapped around his finger and then simply reacting to problems rather than trying to get out ahead of and solve approaching problems.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm

"You want to talk about a national emergency?" Speaker Pelosi says. "Let's talk about today, the one-year anniversary" of the Parkland shooting.
"Why don't you declare that a national emergency? I wish you would. But—a Democratic president can do that."

No better example of "Be careful what you wish for". Hell, for that matter our country is in the midst of a national heath care emergency. Sounds like a great reason to declare Universal Heath Care when the Dems hold the White House....
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm
"You want to talk about a national emergency?" Speaker Pelosi says. "Let's talk about today, the one-year anniversary" of the Parkland shooting.
"Why don't you declare that a national emergency? I wish you would. But—a Democratic president can do that."
I must have missed the constitutional amendment that gives illegal immigrants the right to come here...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Now you see why there were the absolute least amount of judges confirmed under Obama and flood gates opened with conservative judges opened after the 16 election.
All things wind up going through the court system and now to a certain extent the courts are stacked at a lot of levels to help one side over the other.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 pm
I must have missed the constitutional amendment that gives illegal immigrants the right to come here...
But most of the “illegal immigrants” are actually visa overstays... border migration is a net negative... if you want to fix this then forget declaring a meaningless national emergency or building a stupid wall and fix the visa system. That is where your problem is, not on the damn border...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Hey Matt, haven't seen you around here for awhile. How was rehab?

Back to the issue at hand. If Trump pulls the trigger on this (with McConnell's blessing so it would appear) he will have made the Republicans step in the slipperiest slope of shit they will never wipe clean. It all goes out the window if he prevails in court and frankly that's fine by me. You can't tell me when a Democrat is in the White House and when there's another mass shooting they won't respond with a simple "thoughts and prayers". Boom Shakka Boom, NATIONAL EMERGENCY. You won't be able to buy a BB Gun without having the government shove their fist up your ass to see if you're qualified. Be sure and thank Donnie and his wall obsession... #MAGA

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Ok Lester, since you're so smart, under what statute exactly would a Democrat President declare a national emergency in the event of a mass shooting? And what power exactly would said President exercise? I challenge you to provide the specific statute.

In Trump's case (and I've pointed this out in here before), he would likely rely on 10 U.S.C. 2808 and classify the wall as a military construction project. I'd love to hear exactly how Democrats would re-allocate resources and under what authority in the event of a mass shooting.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 pm
Ok Lester, since you're so smart, under what statute exactly would a Democrat President declare a national emergency in the event of a mass shooting? And what power exactly would said President exercise? I challenge you to provide the specific statute.
Same one as Trump appears to be ready to use.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 pm

You must have responded before I edited my post. Please read the addition.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Let's put it this way. I'm confident the Democrats can gin up an excuse with equal aplomb as the Republicans. After all, you've been telling us for years how rascally we are.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Still waiting for someone to point out the amendment asked about earlier....

Zzzzzzz

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm
Still waiting for someone to point out the amendment asked about earlier....

Zzzzzzz
You can continue your nap because it really isn't germane to what a President can declare as a "national emergency". This isn't about the immigrant's legal standing.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 pm

It is If you consider your premise that a President could declare a national emergency and confiscate all guns.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 pm
It is If you consider your premise that a President could declare a national emergency and confiscate all guns.
Where did I say confiscate all guns. (I didn't). But if we want to play you and bmw's game and call this a "Commander-in-Cheif military matter" then it's not out of the whelm of possibilities that a future Democratic President could use the same premise by saying unchecked firearm possession presents a national emergency such that because Congress has failed to enact legislation, the military will now be responsible for insuring gun owners go through rigorous background checks and screening.

I'm not saying the shit wouldn't hit the fan (it would), but one half-assed initiative on flimsy grounds begets another.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic