Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whats Going On with WCSX?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Y M Ionhere

Whats Going On with WCSX?

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I listened to WCSX religiously in the early/mid-90s. It was true classic rock-all the major artists up to about 1980 that defined the early days of harder rock. And they didnt play the same songs daily.
I recently took up a new job where Im on the road all day, and find classic rock to be the right sound for long, work-related drives. This station is not anything close to its former glory.
At least half the playlist is now 8os music, much of it poppier. They are playing bands who were influenced by classic rock- IMO, a full generation too new to be in rotation. The few old-timers still in rotation are overplayed. Examples:
-Men At Work: "Down Under". Not a "classic rock" generationally or style-wise, and i heard it 2 days in a row.
-Starship: a later, poppier incarnation of a classic rock band. "Nothings Going To Stop Us Now" was played alongside madonna on pop stations. "we Built this city" is keyboard pop-rock as well, but they also played that 2 days in a row.
-Huey Lewis. Not classic rock. Next...
-Bon Jovi. Not classic rock, and already been played to death on active rock stations.
-def leppard. see Bon Jovi above
-Guns n Roses: Not even close
-Bryan adams. Ditto
-They still play the Who, "Who Are You". Two days in a row. I used to like Manfred Manns "Blinded By The Light". But 4 times in one week? they used to play it maybe 4 times a month. They used to periodically play Aerosmiths "sweet Emotion". Now its everyday, and they added a slew of other Aerosmith tracks, up to the 80s. I think I even heard 90s 'smith.
-I wont complain about early Van Halen being added. it has its place. But the same Hagar-era song two days in a row?
-The Clash: A punk band that made waves for being so modern and edgy; A big middle-finger to the establishment. Now played among all the music they, and their original fans, rebelled against.
-Argents "Hold Your Head Up" on "sunday Morning Overeasy"?? WTF???
Where the hell is Mitch Ryder these days? I understand all the love given to local boy Bob seger, so why give Mitch the shaft?
Is all this permanent, or just bad decisions from a misguided program director? This station no longer represents the real picture of its supposed format anymore.

Mega Hertz

Re: Whats Going On with WCSX?

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 am

The format evolved. Remember, WRIF played all those bands. Like when WOMC stopped playing 50's and 60's pop, now WCSX no longer plays Humble Pie or The Animals. As is life. They've evolved out of the format. When I worked there, playing GNR was unheard of.

Now, you wanna talk about what happened to the jocks there, I'm all ears.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:58 am

Although WCSX might not fill the niche you're looking for at this time, it seems to have been embraced by the Detroit area listening audience. Latest book has them at number one with a 7.3.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Classic Rock now is keeping up with the times 90’s and 2K’s Are slowly becoming Classic Rock if they don’t do that the numbers start falling. You have to maintain the demographics your after.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 pm

60s and early 70's music is becoming too "old" and Advertisers target younger people (makes zero sense but whatever).

10 years ago they were playing 60s and 70s, so now they are doing 70s and 80s.

Same with WOMC.

Music is my life.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 pm
60s and early 70's music is becoming too "old" and Advertisers target younger people (makes zero sense but whatever).

10 years ago they were playing 60s and 70s, so now they are doing 70s and 80s.

Same with WOMC.
A similar thing has been happening at the Redford Theatre. They're showing more and more movies from the 80s and 90s, and fewer older movies. A lot of movies that used to play a whole weekend (three showings) are now being played once, if at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic