Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-16-2017 at 6:00p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Classical Music

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts. Went to a great concert? Saw a really lousy performance? Want to debate legacy of your favorite artist? Here's the place to do it!
1027BrianFM

Classical Music

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:47 pm

As of late oddly enough I've gotten into classical music. I'm still new to it but I do like Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, Spring is my favorite. Holberg Suite by Grieg is nice and Respighi's Fountains of Rome/Pines of Rome. Sort of Jumping around in the various era's I realize.

Opera I cant do :lol:

Anyone else here enjoy Classical?
The All new 102.7 Brian FM... the one all the others will be listening to...

moldyoldie

Re: Classical Music

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:Anyone else here enjoy Classical?
Absolutely! I have an extensive (and intensive) collection.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Nice! Any certain favorites? Not a big fan of some of the 20th century stuff, like Gershwin. Respighi was early 20th so an exception there. La Mer by Debussy is nice.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 am

1027BrianFM wrote:Nice! Any certain favorites? Not a big fan of some of the 20th century stuff, like Gershwin. Respighi was early 20th so an exception there. La Mer by Debussy is nice.
It's funny in that certain composers just didn't "click" with me earlier in life, but many years later there comes an "A-HA!" moment when you hear their music again and it sounds as if it was the soundtrack to your life! An example would be the symphonies and tone poems of the great Finnish composer Jean Sibelius, whose music I simply couldn't get into in my youth, but after living thirty years in Northern Michigan became a personal favorite. It's kinda like that. :blink I can always listen to Beethoven's symphonies - always have, always will. My classical music journey went forward and backward from Beethoven. For others it's Mozart, for still others it's J.S. Bach, etc.

It sounds as if you're a novice classical listener. If so, there are two moderately lengthy works I always suggest. The first is Igor Stravinsky's ballet score The Rite of Spring, a work full of rhythm, bombast and blather that seems to resonate with young fans of rock and metal; it caused a riot in the streets of Paris on the night of its premiere in 1913. The other is the popular orchestral suite The Planets by British composer Gustav Holst which was completed a few years later; it presents a very accessible variety of late Romantic and early Modern stylings that would ring familiar to anyone who has ears. :)

You said you liked Vivaldi, a Baroque era composer, so I might also suggest J.S. Bach's ever-popular Brandenburg Concertos.

Concerning Respighi, I've always said that if he had lived a few decades later he could have made a good living in Hollywood writing epic film scores. :hat
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 pm

I will check out The Brandenburg Concertos . The Planets I have heard a little of it, looks interesting. I am not at all Familiar with Holst nor Sibelius.

I came across this unusual one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6YC39Gyt2k&t=2526s

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:As of late oddly enough I've gotten into classical music. I'm still new to it but I do like Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, Spring is my favorite. Holberg Suite by Grieg is nice and Respighi's Fountains of Rome/Pines of Rome. Sort of Jumping around in the various era's I realize.

Opera I cant do :lol:

Anyone else here enjoy Classical?

(hand raised)

Me too.

I'm a lover of classical music. and Vivaldi's Four Seasons is one of my favourites. I've developed a tradition. Every solstice or equinox date, when the season changes I put on the disk and play the movement associated with the new season. For the past few years, I haven't been able to play Spring. We're still down in Florida at that time.

Another seasonal tradition, every year, some time during the week between Christmas and New Years, I play Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

Other favourites from my collection are Smetana's The Moldau, Holst's The Planets, Handel's Water Music and Beethoven's 6th (The Pastoral Symphony)

Like moldy, I too don't have an appreciation for music of the 20th century. But, unlike moldy, I do enjoy the music of Gershwin. I just don't try to fit it into the classical music slot.

BTW: Give opera a chance. You might get to like it.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Ha ha I dunno about Opera.

Beethoven's 6th, I'll check that out.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:49 pm

There's a CD you might like. It's called Opera Without Words. It's a collection of the orchestral music, overtures, marches etc, from various operas. One that is included is March of The Toreadors from Carmen. When that comes on you just have to crank up the volume and blow the cobwebs out of your speakers.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:44 am

ha ha oh ok. Thanks. I think my Vivaldi 4 seasons CD is from that RCA series.

A former Neighbor of mine who I found out passed away a couple years ago, I got to know a little bit for a brief time when I lived at my last apartment before buying my home, He told me for CDs, Deutsch Gramophone, Sony Classical, RCA, and Philips were the ones to look for. Not to bother with Laser Light, Excelsior, and a couple other off brand cheap ones. He had a bit of collection of CDs and Records.

I've always been intrigued by classical but have recently begun to appreciate it.

Nice short Violin Piece. Fun fact, last music piece played 95.7fm WFLN Philadelphia before they dropped The Classical format. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJInIueD9Q

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:03 am

Turkeytop wrote:Like moldy, I too don't have an appreciation for music of the 20th century. But, unlike moldy, I do enjoy the music of Gershwin. I just don't try to fit it into the classical music slot.
Whoa, hold on there, T-Top! It wasn't I who said he didn't like 20th Century music, it was Brian! In fact, I practically engulf 20th Century music and swallow it whole! :hat Just so there's no misunderstanding. :blink
1027BrianFM wrote:A former Neighbor of mine who I found out passed away a couple years ago, I got to know a little bit for a brief time when I lived at my last apartment before buying my home, He told me for CDs, Deutsch Gramophone, Sony Classical, RCA, and Philips were the ones to look for. Not to bother with Laser Light, Excelsior, and a couple other off brand cheap ones. He had a bit of collection of CDs and Records.
I would beg to differ with your ex-neighbor, especially in the digital age when the major labels have practically eschewed classical orchestral music and left it in the hands of the multitude of fine independent labels, including those owned and operated by the world's major orchestras, whose technical recording prowess is beyond reproach. Besides, as one's ears become more attuned to nuances in individual performances of the same music, it's the "music" that one hears, not just the "sound". Also note that in recent years many of the major labels have merged out of existence and are now under a corporate umbrella label.
- Sydney J. Harris

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Yeah not really into the 20th century stuff. My neighbor always said that those bargain bin 4.99 recordings, the sound quality and the performers weren't as refined but that was his 2 cents so I've gone with it. The whole "you get what you pay for" argument.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Just check out these two famous arias by Maria Callas then tell me you don't like opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6bSrGbak1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9Dipgqdtw

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Shes very talented it seems. Nothing against her or any performers in opera. It takes a lot of work. Just not my thing. I see why people do like it though.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Damn it, T-Top, that one gets to me every time. :cry:
- Sydney J. Harris

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Ah yes, Bolero. One of my favourites.

An expert almost ruined it for me once. He had studied and analyzed Ravel and his music and had come to the inescapable conclusion that Ravel had been suffering with hemorrhoids at the time he composed Bolero. Thus, the constant, persistent rhythm of the music. :rolleyes

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:30 am

LOL. Kind of a neat short piece. Not too familiar with Ravel really.

This is trippy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6YC39Gyt2k&t=2304s

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am

I found this one in the CD rack at Goodwill, really hooked on it at the moment. Beethoven Symphony 1 and 7.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q_P4_yD7_lo/U ... 600/04.jpg

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:00 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am
I found this one in the CD rack at Goodwill, really hooked on it at the moment. Beethoven Symphony 1 and 7.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q_P4_yD7_lo/U ... 600/04.jpg

I've never thought of looking at Goodwill for CDs.

I generally don't buy anything second hand anymore. My wife and I both grew up in desperate poverty. Growing up we had nothing but second hand cloths, second hand skates, second hand bikes, second hand comic books, second hand everything. Now that we're at a stage in life that we can afford nice things we always buy new.

But used CDs are one thing that make sense they don't wear out or become degraded, so why not?

Might drop in the Goodwill next time I'm by. We also have a Salvation Army store nearby.

The thing I dislike most about second hand shops is the dreary, depressing, musty smell of old clothing and old stuff. I had my bellyfull of that growing up.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 am

I am not sure if there are Savers stores in Ontario but those are usually quite decent and don't have that icky smell. I didn't grow up in poverty but my family didn't have a ton of money either. Some of the thriftiness IMO was due to the strong Eastern European background and I consider myself a rational cheap skate. I draw the line on certain things though.

Books and CD's though are a great deal. Just as long as the cd is all scratched up. I have actually found a couple of old school radios at Savers and Goodwill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic