Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Chris Cornell dies

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts. Went to a great concert? Saw a really lousy performance? Want to debate legacy of your favorite artist? Here's the place to do it!
matt1

Chris Cornell dies

Post by matt1 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am

Lead singer of Soundgarden & Audioslave, Chris Cornell has died at 52 years old. :( Soundgarden just played the FOX Theatre in Detroit last night!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Chris Cornell dies

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2017 6:49 am

Horrible news. He was found unresponsive in his hotel room at the MGM Grand around Midnight. Reportedly, his wife spoke with him a short time earlier and called police out of concern. The show at the Fox (which wasn't very good) concluded less than an hour before.

Soundgarden to this day remains one of my favorite bands. Still kicking myself over not seeing them play with NIN last summer. That was an incredible show!

The band was supposed to play at Rock on the Range in Columbus on Friday.

I also loved Audioslave, and thought that band should've gotten more critical acclaim.
102.9 The Hog in Milwaukee KICKS ASS!!! Love the 90's weekends. (The playlist during the work week is damn good, too!)

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 pm

WXYZ 7 said that authorities are saying it could be a suicide.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 pm

According to wxyz.com the Wayne County Medical Examiner has ruled his death suicide by haning.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 pm

sad for his wife and kids. Personally I was not aware of him or his bands. I gave up on music for the most part in the late 70's.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I think mental health needs more resources and awareness. Mental health is a big part of one's well being. The question is why did he feel he needed to take his life? If he was having issues did he even get help?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu May 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Right now MTV Classic is playing a block of his videos.

kager

Post by kager » Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Sad. Cornell was very talented, but no stranger to drugs.

Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, now Soundgarden. Living frontmen of the grunge-era are becoming scarce.

Did you ever hear a light, happy tune out of any of them?
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Milk

Post by Milk » Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Rock 105 & 95.5 in TC played all Cornell's music during Smitty's show this afternoon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Kudos to them for doing that.

Here in Detroit, WRIF and 89X both did a great job paying tribute. Mark McKenzie on 89X was clearly shooken by his passing, at times his voice cracking. I don't blame him! I was both stunned and saddened by the news, which I first saw on CBS Overnight News.

Soundgarden was my second favorite of the Seattle bands, behind only Nirvana. Alice in Chains is barely behind Soundgarden on my list.
102.9 The Hog in Milwaukee KICKS ASS!!! Love the 90's weekends. (The playlist during the work week is damn good, too!)

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 am

Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters & the former lead singer of Screaming Trees are all that's left of the Seattle grunge music scene!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 am

There's no knowing what goes through a person's mind before they decide to take their own life. One can have it all and still feel horribly empty. So sad!

I agree that we need to ramp up our focus on mental health issues. The world today is a crazily hectic place, and it's easy to feel overloaded by the constant pace of just keeping up. Too many are falling through the cracks. Quick-fix medications have taken the place of comprehensive therapy to work things out. IMO, it's time to seriously re-evaluate how conditions like depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder, etc are treated. Well-monitored medications can help as part of an overall treatment program, but too many people view substances, prescribed or self-administered, as the sole solution to cope.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Milk

Post by Milk » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am

Chris's widow, Vicki is blaming his use of Ativan contributed to his death. Like many antidepressants, one of the side effects, oddly enough is suicidal thoughts.

It's also worth noting that Chris battled anxiety all of his life.

The problem is that docs are sometimes too quick to say to somebody dealing with anxiety and depression, "here you go! This drug will cure you!" instead of getting to the root of the problem. Too many antidepressants have weird side effects such as insomnia, weight fluctuation, dry mouth and (you guessed it) more anxiety.

Sometimes, you have no choice but to shake your head at Big Pharma.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat May 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Sometimes, you have no choice but to shake your head at Big Pharma.
[/quote]

After I read this I just took a few Klonopin, (that stuff works.)

I just heard Ann Delisi from WDET Essential Music play Chris Cornell's cover of Nothing Compairs To U. She is an amazing, (and underated ) DJ.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Heard Black Hole Sun today on WDET.

Of the Big Five grunge bands, only one still has their original lead singer living (Pearl Jam). I don't think Eddie Vedder is (and was) as much into drugs as Cobain, Staley, Weiland, or Cornell were.

Milk

Post by Milk » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 am

SNL repeated a 1996 episode with Soundgarden last night. Decent tribute if I say so.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic