Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bell Media Shuts Down 6 Radio Stations Sells 3 Others.

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

Bell Media Shuts Down 6 Radio Stations Sells 3 Others.

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Bell Media has announced slashing 1300 jobs in Canada, and the closure of 6 radio stations. The closures include CJBK, 1290 here in London ON.

Since 11:00 AM they have been playing some kind of bland music, the kind you get when your phone call is placed on hold, interrupted periodically with a recorded message.
"We have news to share about changes to News- Talk Radio 1200.
As of 11:00 AM MT on June 14th, News Talk Radio 1290. is off the air. The Realities of AM Radio in the broadcast media landscape have made this change unavoidable.

We want to thank our advertising partners, sponsors and everyone who has contributed to this station over the years.

But, we especially want to thank you – our listeners.

Thank you for welcoming 1290 CJBK into your homes, cars and lives for so many years."
Three stations are sold, pending CRTC approval. CKOC and CHAM in Hamilton ON and CKWW in Windsor.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... -stations/

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Bell Media Shuts Down 6 Radio Stations Sells 3 Others.

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:42 pm

Maybe you don't need a clock radio, just a clock.

Actually I am sorry, I know how much you enjoy listening to AM radio.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:42 pm
Maybe you don't need a clock radio, just a clock.

Actually I am sorry, I know how much you enjoy listening to AM radio.
I never need a clock radio. Just a clock.

I never listened to CJBK. Mostly right wing talk.

Bell needs to stick with telephone and leave broadcasting to people who know something about the business.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:12 pm

Bell might be planning to operate three FM stations in their markets soon.

Another possibility is that Bell might sell the radio division. They do not speak highly of the CRTC radio policy. Keeping directional AM arrays that need repairs and generate a limited amount of profit does not make sense to them before a sale.

Either way the abrupt closures and sales of a total of nine AM radio at once indicates that they are up to something.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:53 pm

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:12 pm
Keeping directional AM arrays that need repairs and generate a limited amount of profit does not make sense to them before a sale.

Either way the abrupt closures and sales of a total of nine AM radio at once indicates that they are up to something.
Considering that they are a big media company, it's as if they are impatient to a point where they would rather close the stations, walk the licenses back to Ottawa, and sell the properties, than to give it some time and sell them to someone who could make them work.

Three of the stations have been sold -- was Bell unable or unwilling to sell the other six?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:57 am

Write offs can be worth more than cash...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:03 pm

Not sure if it's because of the shutdown or just atmospheric conditions, but WLBY Saline is coming in slightly stronger in the western Detroit suburbs since CJBK turned off the transmitter.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:34 pm

oooh, im at joy/275, which west suburb are u?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic