Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CRTC Considers Banning Fox News in Canada

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Mega Hertz

Re: CRTC Considers Banning Fox News in Canada

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue May 16, 2023 9:27 pm

I don't know about this pastor's "Biblical beliefs", but mine begin and end with "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself", Leviticus 19:18. I'm certainly not being fined by anyone.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 17, 2023 8:26 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:22 am
Pastor Stephen Boissoin had written a letter to the editor of the Red Deer Advocate in 2002, expressing his Biblical beliefs about the homosexual lifestyle. After reading the letter as published in the Advocate, Dr. Darren Lund, a professor at the University of Calgary, filed a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission, accusing Boissoin of violating Canada’s hate crimes law, which prohibits “hate propaganda.”

In May 2008, the Commission ruled against the pastor, and ordered him to cease and desist from further expressing any views regarding the homosexual lifestyle. He was also ordered to pay Dr. Lund the sum of $5,000, and to compose a written apology to the professor, although Lund was not the subject of Boissoin’s writings, nor did the two know each other.

https://christiannews.net/2012/10/23/ca ... rimes-law/
So, how has this anything to do with CRTC?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed May 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:26 pm
audiophile wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:22 am
Pastor Stephen Boissoin had written a letter to the editor of the Red Deer Advocate in 2002, expressing his Biblical beliefs about the homosexual lifestyle. After reading the letter as published in the Advocate, Dr. Darren Lund, a professor at the University of Calgary, filed a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission, accusing Boissoin of violating Canada’s hate crimes law, which prohibits “hate propaganda.”

In May 2008, the Commission ruled against the pastor, and ordered him to cease and desist from further expressing any views regarding the homosexual lifestyle. He was also ordered to pay Dr. Lund the sum of $5,000, and to compose a written apology to the professor, although Lund was not the subject of Boissoin’s writings, nor did the two know each other.

https://christiannews.net/2012/10/23/ca ... rimes-law/
So, how has this anything to do with CRTC?
That, and the decision was in relation to provincial law (emphasis in the original comments mine), not federal (though Canada has regulations against hate speech).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic