Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Worst Cars Ever Made

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
FET-500

Re: Worst Cars Ever Made

Post by FET-500 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 am
Anything Fiat has ever produced belongs on the list.
I drove from Detroit to L.A. in a 1982 Strada with an old Italian race car driver. Somewhere in Oklahoma, a freak snowstorm hit. We struck a snowdrift in the middle of the highway that was like hitting a wall. The jolt to the car caused the timing belt to jump. We spent an entire day at some Okie mechanic shop with fellas trying to fix the Fiat, when out of frustration, I called the mechanic in Warren that had been maintaining the car.

The mechanic burst out into laughter... "Oh, you guys are trying to set the motor up with #1 @ TDC, you gotta' use #4 cylinder."
I hung up the phone, told the Okies to clear out and set the timing MYSELF. We then continued our trip with me bitching about the group of retards that chose #4 over #1, and questioning what other crimes might be lurking under the hood.

I understand that much has changed in the automotive world in terms of design and construction but this #4 @ TDC thing has jaundiced by opinion of Fiat FOREVER.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am

Realist wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:33 pm
I hate to admit it but I owned a 2003 Pontiac Aztek.
Most Aztek owners become fanbois. The backglass is a deal killer if it ever breaks. The body control module is famous for freaking out. Beyond that, it seems like a great utility vehicle with no thought given to aesthetics.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 am

FET-500 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 am
Anything Fiat has ever produced belongs on the list.
I drove from Detroit to L.A. in a 1982 Strada with an old Italian race car driver. Somewhere in Oklahoma, a freak snowstorm hit. We struck a snowdrift in the middle of the highway that was like hitting a wall. The jolt to the car caused the timing belt to jump. We spent an entire day at some Okie mechanic shop with fellas trying to fix the Fiat, when out of frustration, I called the mechanic in Warren that had been maintaining the car.

The mechanic burst out into laughter... "Oh, you guys are trying to set the motor up with #1 @ TDC, you gotta' use #4 cylinder."
I hung up the phone, told the Okies to clear out and set the timing MYSELF. We then continued our trip with me bitching about the group of retards that chose #4 over #1, and questioning what other crimes might be lurking under the hood.

I understand that much has changed in the automotive world in terms of design and construction but this #4 @ TDC thing has jaundiced by opinion of Fiat FOREVER.
Cylinders 1 and 4 hit TDC at the same moment on a straight 4, so other than where distributor was pointing all should have been fine.

The timing with the distributor should been obvious if the cam lobes were up or down. The cylinder with CAM lobes UP should be firing cylinder.

#4 TDC was a subtle hint. We're last LOL.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Anything Fiat is bad, even the present day ones rank at the bottom of the list for everything. Renault and Yugo, oi vey.... with the exception of most Japanese cars, The 1980s was a horrible decade for automobiles. My Dad had a Monte Carlo that was in the shop at least once every few months, he gave up on it after I think 5 years.

The Lexus Model I am not familiar with, The ES 300/330 and most of there models are amazing, wish I could afford them. Lincoln's, can be wolve's in sheeps clothing. I know The Town car's from the 1980s and 90s had electrical issues, If the air suspension went out you were talking big bucks to fix it.

I remember when The Pontiac Aztec was introduced, I believe that was the start of the end, for Pontiac.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 am

I saw the Chevette on that list and stopped reading. An '85 Chevette was split between my dad as his commuter car for years and me as my first car at 16. Sure it was slow and ugly, but reliable and solidly bullt unlike the '04 Cavalier I owned later which had coats of paint coming off for no reason, the gearshift handle busting off and the cheap plastic dashboard cracking leading to frost developing on the INSIDE of the windshield during winters. Also the trunk and glove box latches both busted. I like smaller cars and our automakers stopped giving a shit about those a long time ago because there's more money in SUVs.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 am

Well... your dad must of got one made on Tuesday or Wednesday, but overall the car had a bad reputation. I know someone who had a Ford Tempo, that was actually decent despite the fact that, overall that was a car Ford would rather forget. Cavalier that doesn't shock me, a lot of GM's of that era are exactly like that, I had a GMC Sonoma that about sent me to the poor house and had as issues with things just breaking.

GM is a mixed bag, if you had a 3.8 in like a Buick Park ave, you were golden. There full sized pick ups were and are decent, there cars these days, no thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic