Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Spooky Story About ARP In Owosso

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
CK-722

Spooky Story About ARP In Owosso

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 pm

50 records appeared in a box on the commenter's porch on the night prior to the fire that destroyed the American Record Pressing Plant in 1972. The plant pressed the first Beatles records in America in 1963. "Please Please Me" had the group's name misspelled Beattles. But Dick Biondi played it anyway in 1963 on WLS, as far as we know, the first time the Beatles were played in America. ARP also pressed the first VeeJay recordings of The Four Seasons in 1962-1963, and almost all of the Motown recordings before they moved to CA. The story reminds me of "Laurie" by Dickey Lee.

http://www.westmichmusichystericalsocie ... onnection/

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ed Joseph

Re: Spooky Story About ARP In Owosso

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:42 am

Very interesting story... I used to ride my bike 20 miles from west Flint to Owosso a few times a month to hang out there. The second shift supervisor was even kind enough to drive me back home as he lived but a mile from me. I actually learned to operate the presses (at age 7!) and every now and then, he would pick me up and take me in with him to help out if they were shorthanded. I was paid with boxes of records, soda and a full lunch, and I *loved* running the presses. I even learned how they made the dies and cut them, it was absolutely fascinating to a 7 year old kid!

I remember running red vinyl promos of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" which quickly became my favorite Motown record ever. It was the master engineer who was responsible for the false fade at the end of the single, which never made it onto reissues. I also remember pressing "Out in the Country" by 3 Dog Night, "Still Water" by the 4 Tops, "Up the Ladder to the Roof" by the Supremes and River Deep, Mountain High" by the Supremes and the 4 Tops. I got copies of all these records before radio even heard them, and still have them today! It was awesome. Yes, I was a strange kid!

I was actually last inside ARPC a few weeks before the fire. I actually cried when I heard about the fire.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic