Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMOM shuts down

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WMOM shuts down

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 am

My gut feeling tells me Strong Tower Radio (purveyors of Seventh Day Adventist programming) could be an interested party.

One commercial buyer I could envision purchasing this station is John Yob - the guy who recently purchased 106.3 MHz near Traverse City.

Another commercial buyer I could envision purchasing this station is Will Tieman's company (owners of WGHN AM & FM and WMPA in Grand Haven).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:09 am

I would weep for Luddington if Yob's idiots got it. David Barr is running that place like he did when he ran the Marine City stations into the ground.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 am
My gut feeling tells me Strong Tower Radio (purveyors of Seventh Day Adventist programming) could be an interested party.

One commercial buyer I could envision purchasing this station is John Yob - the guy who recently purchased 106.3 MHz near Traverse City.

Another commercial buyer I could envision purchasing this station is Will Tieman's company (owners of WGHN AM & FM and WMPA in Grand Haven).
91.9 puts a decent signal over most of that area since they moved to the Harrietta tower (they only run 2.65kW, but HAAT is 935 feet; for comparison, WOLW's HAAT is only 700 feet). There are so many possibilities, including the ones mentioned above and the ones I mentioned in my earlier post. IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised if "Eagle 102.7" comes to Ludington in the next few months.

The big winners locally for now are Eagle 101.5, 96-3 KLA, and Z93 (despite its shitty signal in Ludington proper thanks to the 92.7 translator of WKLA (AM), its signal is good over most of the rest of the area).

Interesting side note: WGHN originally owned the CP for what is now 96.3 WKLA, but sold it to Synergy when they sold the full-power 106.3 (speaking of 106.3, WKLA (AM) has a CP for a translator on that frequency!)

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:42 am

(speaking of 106.3, WKLA (AM) has a CP for a translator on that frequency!)
Maybe z93 will be listenable in ludington again if this cp actually goes thru.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 pm

I do find it interesting that no STA or other application has been filed yet. How long does a licensee have to tell the Feds you are not on the air anymore?

MagicRat61

Post by MagicRat61 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Maybe Roy H. will make a play for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:26 pm

MagicRat61 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 pm
Maybe Roy H. will make a play for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Unlikely considering he's LMA'd his existing Michigan properties to Blarney Stone

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:48 pm

I can almost bet a religious station will go on 102.7.

sand2dunes

Post by sand2dunes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:31 pm

I could see Educational Media Foundation (K-Love, Air 1) buying this station.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Something here isn't passing the smell test. If WMOM were as successful as some seem to speculate, it seems to me that someone would have stepped up to run the place until it could be sold. Why didn't one of the all important "Sports Guys" make that offer? Most likely, the answer is that the place was running on fumes, and has been for awhile.

Whoever buys WMOM will be required to start from scratch, thanks to the equipment being dismantled and carted off to parts unknown. Is the tower site owned or leased? That's another potential problem. If it's leased, who's paying the site rent? Lots of red flags here.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:28 pm

sand2dunes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:31 pm
I could see Educational Media Foundation (K-Love, Air 1) buying this station.
Very much a possibility with all that money EMF has why not, Another Jesus Rock station, I would rather see K- Love there instead of an NPR station anyway.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 am

The tower site is owned

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 am

The application for an STA was filed today. Under "JUSTIFICATION" it reads..

"THE OWNER/GENERAL MANAGER OF WMOM WAS INVOLVED IN A SERIOUS AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT; WHILE HE WAS LARGELY UNHARMED, HE IS CURRENTLY UNABLE TO MAKE A WEEKLY COMMUTE BY AUTOMOBILE FROM HIS HOME IN MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN TO WMOM'S HEADQUARTERS IN LUDINGTON, MICHIGAN. THEREFORE, HE HAS TAKEN THE STATION TEMPORARILY SILENT, AND RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS A 180 DAY SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORIZATION TO REMAIN SILENT.

WE ARE CURRENTLY CONSIDERING ALTERNATIVES TO RETURNING WMOM TO THE AIR.

THE PUBLIC INTEREST, CONVENIENCE AND NECESSITY WOULD BE WELL SERVED BY A GRANT OF THIS 'SILENT STA' REQUEST, SO THAT THE BEST WAY TO RETURN WMOM TO THE AIR CAN BE FULLY CONSIDERED."

For me, this doesn't pass the "smell test". Wonder how much he wants for this? Can you make money with this station?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

It would be difficult - but not impossible - to run profitably as a standalone.

My guess is 45 North Media (operator via LMA of Eagle 101.5) is probably one of only two or three for-profit broadcasters who I could see being interested in WMOM.

Dom & Jen Theodore - who have two stations in Cadillac and one in Big Rapids - perhaps is another suitor.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm
It would be difficult - but not impossible - to run profitably as a standalone.

My guess is 45 North Media (operator via LMA of Eagle 101.5) is probably one of only two or three for-profit broadcasters who I could see being interested in WMOM.

Dom & Jen Theodore - who have two stations in Cadillac and one in Big Rapids - perhaps is another suitor.
Theodore is completely focused on Cadillac. Maybe if they could move WMOM East to a respectable signal in Caddy they could make it work.

Synergy seems like the one of the few options outside Jesus operators.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic